Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-04-2009, 09:59 PM   #26
tim evans
United_States
Re: I can't seem to keep my clothes on!

Quote:
Victoria Pitt wrote: View Post
Yes, laugh if you must. I try keep everything in place, however it is really frustrating to me.

I have a hard time keeping my gi on. My belt is always coming untied or I can feel my pants starting to fall off! It seems funny when you're talking about it but when your in the middle of a seminar practicing breakfalls, trying to be all suave and pull your pants up so no one notices every time you're rolling on your back, it can be a tad stressful! Last week during weapons (of course when I was the one counting) my belt flew off and here I am with an open gi (I learned to wear a tank top at all times after my second class so I was still modest!). I finished my counting then ran to the edge of the mat to sort myself out (which then only lasted for 10 more mins before my belt started to go again).

I cannot for the life of me figure out why my gi won't stay on right when everyone else's seems to be fine. Am I missing some trick to this? I have asked people in the dojo and they just think its funny. Maybe that is why I am not catching on... I'm always too worried if my pants are going to stay up! It's beyond annoying.

And yes, we discussed suspenders but I realized that I might get shoulder burns!

(now you all know the reason why I want to rank enough to get a hakima... not to say I'm super Aikido woman but in case my pants fall down, no one will see!)
I had the same problem with the drawstring pants so I went to awma.com and got me some pants with an elastic waistband and drawstrings problem solved as far as the gi top I have both judo and karate type .
Old 11-04-2009, 11:17 PM   #27
GMaroda
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Tim Evans wrote: View Post
I had the same problem with the drawstring pants so I went to awma.com and got me some pants with an elastic waistband and drawstrings problem solved as far as the gi top I have both judo and karate type .
I may have to try those. Drawstring pants seem to stretch on me after a bit of practice.

Or, I could lose weight. Naaah!
Old 11-05-2009, 12:01 AM   #28
Linda Eskin

Dojo: Aikido of San Diego, San Diego, California
United_States

Quote:
Cherie Cornmesser wrote: View Post
... Cotton does stretch some as you sweat and warm up so its not your imagination. Your belts and ties do stretch out and get loose.
I have a Bu Jin women's medium weight dogi, and love it. I didn't think I'd like the elastic, but it does serve as a good backup if the pants come untied. Mine do not have a zipper - just elastic and a drawstring. Cherie has a good point about cotton stretching during class. The drawsting in my pants is a nylon (?) cord, so it doesn't stretch. You could try replacing your drawstring with something like that (carefully...).

The jacket also has the modesty ties. My belt has never come completely undone, but even so the ties help keep things from getting bunched up.

I try to be in the habit of checking/tightening my belt from time to time, so it doesn't work loose.

Linda Eskin - Facebook | My Aikido blog: Grab My Wrist

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 11-05-2009, 01:21 AM   #29
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Quote:
Also, I did hurt my back when I first started and its been sore ever since. I realize that having the belt really tight was causing more pain in my back and limiting my movement... so I actually purchased a belt one size up so that I could still have it around my hips but enough left over after I knot it. I never thought to "tuck" it so I will try that.
That may be due to the way you tie the belt. Many people (including myself at first) tie the belt by starting in the middle at the front and then wrapping both ends round each side, coming back the the front. This cause an overlap, often with a slight twist which then protrudes and is a bit of lump in your back which can be very uncomfortable and painful when you do ukemi. Certainly used to give me a fair bit of bruising.

Nowadays, I start with one end at the front and then wrap the belt around from one side, back to the front and then continue round the same way a second time. There is no overlap at the back, no lump, and no pain caused by the belt.

With regards to the belt coming undone, it needs softening and then pulling tight when you do it up. Simples.

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 11-05-2009, 07:53 AM   #30
tim evans
United_States

Quote:
Greg Maroda wrote: View Post
I may have to try those. Drawstring pants seem to stretch on me after a bit of practice.

Or, I could lose weight. Naaah!
I,m a husky guy so gi,s that are comfortable make practice a little less distracting I believe greg the pants I got are the gladiator series the only thing if you go for a karate style top go one size bigger than usual because they will shrink some in the wash.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:57 AM   #31
Victoria Pitt
Dojo: Shinjinkai, Chicago, IL
United_States

Thank you everyone for your help!

I was late for class at the Uni last night so I ran to make Aikido instead, armed with new ideas on how to keep my clothes on for two hours.

So, this is where we are:

The rolling the waistband over the string = Didn't work.
Tying the belt then tucking the ends = EUREKA!! I was able to train for two hours without my gi flying open or having to re-tie my belt. That was awesome!

I am going to take out the string in my pants and get a longer one that is round and not flat and see if that helps. If not, then I'll try the sewing thing. At least now I know what to look for when I get ready to purchase a new gi. Thanks fro your help again!

~Do one thing each day that scares you...~
Old 11-05-2009, 08:54 AM   #32
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands

Quote:
Heather Randolph wrote: View Post
Once you have tightened the draw string of the pants, even out the gathers in the fabric (spread them out) and re tighten. What happens is the draw string is usually flat, so it catches.
Just saw this, this is exactly what I do with my pants as well. When I tighten the string I make sure the material is not only gathered in one place but that the string tightens both back and front.

Glad you already found a solution for the belt, Victoria.

kvaak
Pauliina
Old 11-05-2009, 09:11 AM   #33
ramenboy
Dojo: midwest aikido center

Quote:
...The rolling the waistband over the string = Didn't work...
glad i could help! :P

practice hard
Old 11-05-2009, 09:20 AM   #34
Victoria Pitt
United_States

Quote:
Jerome Cervantes wrote: View Post
That's okay. You can help me by making me remember how to roll backwards. FOREVER.

(I've done it successfully 4 times in almost a year. Then I forget.)

Old 11-05-2009, 10:23 AM   #35
Garth Jones
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

Yep, tucking the belt ends through after tying the knot really helps. Also, if your belt is a bit stiff, the knot won't hold as well. Wash it a few times, beat it on rocks, etc. until the knot is flatter. For the ultimate in keeping your gi together, wear a hakama.

Last edited by Garth Jones : 11-05-2009 at 10:23 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-05-2009, 10:45 AM   #36
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Glad the tip of tucking the ends helped! A few people in my dojo do that. I have never tried it, but I thought it was worth telling you about. It also keeps the belt ends from getting in your way since they are longer. I remember I got hit in the eye with my belt once and my eye would NOT stop watering after! That night, sensei gave me a size smaller belt to wear so I don't have that problem anymore.

Also, like someone else mentioned previously, try pulling the strings tight on the sides of your pants first, then tighten them again in the front. Like the previous poster, I find that this really makes a difference with my pants. I just tie mine like I would a shoelace and they seem to stay put.

Glad you got one problem solved though!

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:15 PM   #37
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Quote:
Garth Jones wrote: View Post
For the ultimate in keeping your gi together, wear a hakama.
ugh forever trying to get people to put on a hakima....

Glad you found the solution to one part of the problem. Hopefully you will get the other part fixed soon too. I'm betting a Hakima really would do the trick.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #38
Victoria Pitt
United_States

Ah yes.. I am sure the answer for most things is "wear a hakama"! However at the rate I am going I figure I'll get that hakama in about ten years if I am lucky. In the meantime, no one wants to see my out of shape butt so I better sort the pants out.

Then again, maybe I won't. More motivation to get back INTO shape!

Old 11-05-2009, 08:20 PM   #39
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

lol its ok Victoria. Garth is one of my senseis and I just got to the stage (6th kyu) where, in our dojo, they kinda sorta would really really like if we'd start wearing one. I figure I got enough trouble tripping over my own feet to deal with but I'll be hakima shopping in the near future I think.

I'll let you know if it really works. Might be useful incentive to improve even faster.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #40
Victoria Pitt
United_States

Quote:
Cherie Cornmesser wrote: View Post
lol its ok Victoria. Garth is one of my senseis and I just got to the stage (6th kyu) where, in our dojo, they kinda sorta would really really like if we'd start wearing one. I figure I got enough trouble tripping over my own feet to deal with but I'll be hakima shopping in the near future I think.

I'll let you know if it really works. Might be useful incentive to improve even faster.
Ah... in our Dojo, 1st dan get to wear them only, but that is just our tradition. It may change however. It was mentioned in passing one night.

P.S. My gi stayed closed again tonight due to the new belt tuck thing. YAY! There is hope!

Last edited by Victoria Pitt : 11-05-2009 at 09:49 PM.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:49 AM   #41
ninjaqutie

United_States

::claps:: Don't you just love the simple achievements in life. HAHA. I know I do. Like you, only yudansha are allowed to wear hakama in my dojo. I was told that a select few first kyu are allowed on rare occassion though (I have only seen one).

~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:55 AM   #42
ramenboy

Quote:
Ashley Carter wrote: View Post
...Like you, only yudansha are allowed to wear hakama in my dojo...
ash, you and victoria are both birankai dojo, so the practice is the same

then again, many dojos/orgs do the same thing

by the way, congrats vic! 2 days in a row!!!!!! :P

practice hard
Old 11-06-2009, 12:56 PM   #43
BC

Jerry - I thought you went commando under your hakama!

Robert Cronin
Old 11-06-2009, 01:29 PM   #44
ramenboy

Quote:
Robert Cronin wrote: View Post
Jerry - I thought you went commando under your hakama!
hahahahahahaa only on special occasions :P

practice hard
Old 11-06-2009, 02:09 PM   #45
NagaBaba

Quote:
Jerome Cervantes wrote: View Post
Hello Jerome,
Please make sure she is over 16 when you are helping with pants adjustment. Remember what happened with this aikido instructor in California....he is in jail now...

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 11-06-2009, 02:26 PM   #46
Victoria Pitt
United_States

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote: View Post
Hello Jerome,
Please make sure she is over 16 when you are helping with pants adjustment. Remember what happened with this aikido instructor in California....he is in jail now...
OMG... sixteen... that was so long ago, I barely remember it... I do seem to recall that New Kids on the Block Posters were in every girl's locker. And using hair spray to make your bangs levitate straight off your head was the norm.

The age thing is safe. The commando under the hakama is worrisome, esp since I have been know to nut guys once or twice in class during suwari waza. Effective technique to be sure, but "not Aikido".

(can you tell I have hear the "not Aikido" more than once? hahah.)

Old 11-06-2009, 02:29 PM   #47
ninjaqutie

United_States

Oh jeez!

Old 11-06-2009, 02:46 PM   #48
Victoria Pitt
United_States

^^ I told you I was really bad.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:32 PM   #49
ninjaqutie

United_States

Haha.... I wasn't so much as talking about you! I was actually responding to Szczepan Janczuk's statement. You just happened to post while I was reading and typing mine I guess.

Just tell them that you didn't mean to use such an advanced atemi on them. At least you know you have a good chance of using that on the street since it seems to come naturally. A girls gotta do what a girls gotta do!

In my last dojo I got a huge bruise on my knee because I kneed a guy in the balls pretty hard. Our sensei required guys to wear cups, so he was alright for the most part.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:16 PM   #50
gdandscompserv

United_States

I can't seem to keep my eyes off this thread!