Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWiki

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-04-2009, 03:24 PM   #26
sorokod
United Kingdom
Re: Henkawaza

That was great Francesco, thanks.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:12 AM   #27
Francesco Corallini
Dojo: Takemusu Aiki Dojo Osimo
Italy

You're welcome David

Old 11-13-2009, 04:56 AM   #28
Ethan Weisgard
Dojo: Copenhagen Aiki Shuren Dojo
Denmark

Hello all!

I think people are mistaking the word " renraku" (meaning to contact someone) with "renzoku" which means "continuous."

Saito Sensei once said that the term "Renzoku Waza" was a term used in Hombu Dojo, where in Iwama the term was "kanren (connected) Waza". Although the terms were different, they both were used when speaking about moving from one technique into another in a flowing form.
Now there are two versions of this practice, one of which could also be termed "Henka Waza" in my opinion. This would be when for instance you do shihonage and before you control uke after the throw, he comes back on his feet. Here you could segue into kotegaeshi with a hand change. This could be termed Henka Waza because you are changing or adapting to a new set of circumstances.
The "Kanren Waza" form of this same sequence would be where you take the initiative and give uke the opening to stand up again (uke should always revert back to a natural standing position when not being controlled by nage, the way I see it). When leaving uke the opening to stand up you blend with this movement and move into kotegaeshi before he regains his position completely. You can connect many techniques in this way, by leaving an opening for uke and then continuing into the next technique. Sometimes Saito Sensei would go from ikkyo through to rokkyo as Kanren Waza," for instance - leading uke all the way through the changes.

I also understand Henka Waza as being what has been described in other posts: using a variation of a given technique when in a situation where the basic form proves difficult to execute. This would mean a variation of the same technique that is more natural to perform when for instance uke changes his posture, grip etc.

In aiki,

Ethan Weisgard

Old 11-13-2009, 05:04 AM   #29
Ethan Weisgard
Dojo: Copenhagen Aiki Shuren Dojo
Denmark

Hello all again!

A little PS: I missed Francescos last post which also explains some of the things that I wrote about. And very nicely explained, too, I must add!

In aiki,

Ethan

Old 11-14-2009, 11:20 PM   #30
Toby Threadgill
United_States

Okay,

henka = variation

From the perspective of koryu where orthodox kata and henka waza are clearly defined, I cannot imagine the term henka waza being applicable to aikido. Why? Because there is no agreed upon "orthodox" version of any technique in the greater aikido community. Given that Ueshiba was altering/modifying the execution of his waza throughout his life, how would you determine what constituted a henka? Henka would be a variation compared to what or who's orthodoxy?

Many high ranking aikido instructors have discussed this topic with me thru the years. Greater aikido technique is so diverse that there is no possible criteria available to determine what constitutes henkawaza.

Respectfully,

Toby Threadgill / TSYR

Old 11-15-2009, 02:19 AM   #31
sorokod
United Kingdom

Hello

As Francesco noted in post 25, in the context of Iwama Aikido, henka is a variation on a basic form. Basics in Iwama are quite well defined so there is no logical problem with discussing changes to those.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:02 AM   #32
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

Quote:
Francesco Corallini wrote: View Post
Hi there,

I can just drop my knowledge about "henka waza" and "Kanren waza" terms how they are used in Iwama Aikido.

As a student of Saito Morihiro Sensei and of my father, that's what I can say about how these terms are used in Takemusu Aikido.

Henka Waza (as usually intended by Saito Morihiro Sensei when teaching seminars) means basically any variation from a basic form.

So for instance Kosa dori nikyo, when performed directly (chokusetsu) by fixing your opponent's hand on your wrist and applying immediately the key. This is intended as henka.
Usually "henka waza" is used to define a variation that Tori chooses to apply.

When Tori NEEDS to change his technique, so when he NEEDS to apply a variation in traditional Aikido we call it "oyo waza" (application of technique): that's actually the same way this term is used in other martial arts as well.

Example: When performing Nikkyo your opponents extends his arm you need to apply the key in a different way from the basic: but in this case the need to change comes from your opponent (thus in henka waza it depends on a tori's choice, usually)

Kanren waza concerns something completely different, which can't be confused with the concepts above: it means "combined techniques". That is actually the way Renraku waza were called in Ibaraki prefecture current dialect, as far as I know. And that's the term Morihiro Saito Sensei used to use to define combined techniques.

In this case it doesn't make a difference if tori combines different techniques because of uke's reaction (which forbids him to complete the initial technique) or because he chooses: in both situations they can be called "kanren" or "Renraku".

Sometimes Saito Morihiro Sensei used also "Kaeshi no kanren" to express a situation when tori starts a technique, uke reacts (with a kaeshi waza or by any other way), afterwards tori reacts to his reaction.

Hope my post was not too confused so far!

Cheers!

Francesco
Wow! I missed this post when it was first posted. Great! Thank you so much for this clarification!

Also Toby Threadgill's overall perspective is quite interesting.

Thanks!

Old 12-26-2009, 01:59 PM   #33
Walter Martindale
Canada

After my Ikkyu test (2005) and again on other occasions, Kawahara sensei (Shihan in Canada) pointed out to me that all of Aikido is henka waza.

I'm not sure enough of my understanding of Aikido to offer more than that. Maybe in a few more years...
W