Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Teaching

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-04-2002, 01:13 AM   #1
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
made up techniques?

Do you guys ever find yourself teaching "made up" techniques? What I mean by that is, you teach a technique that you've never been taught. I'm sure somewhere somebody has already done it but you've never seen it before. You teach it and you know how it works, the mistakes to watch for, and you can explain it and teach other people to do it...even though you've never done it before yourself. I sometimes find myself teaching something and thinking "where the heck did THAT come from?"

Whenever this happens I always check with with sensei the next time I see him. I show him the technique and how I taught it and ask if it was ok to do that. He has never told me "no". He has given tips and pointers but for the most part he's ok with it.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had it happen.

Thanks,
Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 09-04-2002, 03:33 AM   #2
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
I think some people treat martial arts techniques as something magical, however most of them were just developed by seeing what worked (and some come from anatomical studies).

I've not seen a 'new' technique (other than weird strikes) in many years, though there must be countless variations. Aikido forms a complete whole for me and I can't think where there are more techniques. Many of the same techniques were developed independently both in the east and west. (I was reading somewhere that there is a greek statue with one wrestler putting sankyo on another).

Ian

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 09-18-2002, 03:25 PM   #3
Jermaine Alley
Dojo: Aikido Of Richmond
Hey Guys...

When i think about the concept of "making up techniques", i am reminded of the concept of Takemusu Aiki,Unlimited martial creativity. I think that i read somewhere that there are over 3,000 variations of techniques out there. I don't know of anyone who thinks that they have seen everyone..even the head of my system that has been in aikido for over 50years.

It is at that moment, when you think that you have seen it all, that someone might surprise you with a new way of doing the same old sankyo or nikyo.

I think that i also read somewhere that it is alright, to come up with "new" techniques, becuase it means that your mind is constantly working. It is a good way to stay interested also.

Who cares if you "come up" with a new technique as long as it has the aiki principles to go along with it...off balancing, atemi etc.

I don't think that it should be shunned at all...

jermaine
Old 09-18-2002, 04:48 PM   #4
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States
Re: made up techniques?

Quote:
Bronson Diffin (Bronson) wrote:
Do you guys ever find yourself teaching "made up" techniques? What I mean by that is, you teach a technique that you've never been taught. I'm sure somewhere somebody has already done it but you've never seen it before. You teach it and you know how it works, the mistakes to watch for, and you can explain it and teach other people to do it...even though you've never done it before yourself. I sometimes find myself teaching something and thinking "where the heck did THAT come from?"
All the time.

Though usually its a riff or variation of a standard technque in response to a non-standard aikido attack. Sometimes it's something that has come out of my personal freestyle practice but it also comes out after something that pops up from teaching a series of standard techniques and then someone has a question.

Like last night....

the technique just formed itself in response to the attack and I was able to provide technical pointers to help the students do it more effectively because my body just knew what felt right to drop uke like a rock without effort despite a vigorous non-cooperative attack.

that stuff is a lot of fun when it comes up!

Craig
Old 09-19-2002, 09:12 AM   #5
ze'ev erlich

Dojo: Masatake Dojo - Israel Aikikai
Israel
I just rmember reading about o-sensei, who was once asked to repeat a technique he did before. He said that it is impossible for him to do that. So, can you do that?

Ze'ev from Masatake Dojo Rehovot
www.aikikai.org.il
Israeli Aikikai

Old 09-19-2002, 09:19 AM   #6
DanielR
Quote:
Ze&#039ev Erlich (ze&#039ev erlich) wrote:
I just rmember reading about o-sensei, who was once asked to repeat a technique he did before. He said that it is impossible for him to do that. So, can you do that?
Hi Zeev,

(a bit off-topic) Thanks again for the opportunity to train in your dojo back in June. Mr. and Mrs. Numata send you their best wishes and thank you for the book.

Back to the topic - as a beginner, I'm really counting on my senseis' ability to repeat a technique. Otherwise it would be awfully hard to learn

Daniel
Old 09-20-2002, 09:06 AM   #7
ze'ev erlich

Dojo: Masatake Dojo - Israel Aikikai
Israel
Quote:
Daniel Rozenbaum (DanielR) wrote:
Hi Zeev,
Thank you Daniel

Ze'ev from Masatake Dojo Rehovot
www.aikikai.org.il
Israeli Aikikai

Old 09-20-2002, 10:26 AM   #8
SeiserL

United_States
"You never step in the same river twice." The name of the river and the place may be the same, but the water isn't beause it flows. I too found it frustrating that I would slight variations in Phong Sensei's waza each time he did it. Later I understodd, that its impossible to do it exactly the same way twice because of difference in energy. The basic principle are always there.

Until again,

Lynn

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!