Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-26-2007, 12:03 PM   #1
mut

Dojo: south hetton (Dynamic aikido Nocquet )
United Kingdom
brutal brown belts

n our organization we have a saying "brutal brown belts" this is because, from red to brown belt you have a million oppertunities to grade, there is always courses on, however once you get brown you have to wait untill sensei picks you to do your shodan, this could take anywhere from 3 months to 3 years. so my point, there is an average of 4 in every 100 brown belts get picked so everyone gets this brutal head on whenever sensei is around, they start smashing people in to the mat and ripping peoples arms off sweating testosterone from every orifice and then smiling at sensei as if to say "LOOK AT MY AIKIDO DOS'NT IT ROCK" sensei must be wetting himself inside but he manages to keep a straight face,the best thing is when you are brown belt you dont even realize you doing it its fantastic to watch.the wurst thing is not to long ago i was one of them. has anyone else noticed this, in your organization.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:57 PM   #2
crbateman

Re: brutal brown belts

Most people refer to this phenomenon as "brown belt syndrome". It is often accompanied by the irresistible urge to teach everyone without provocation.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:15 AM   #3
Michael Meister
Dojo: South Hetton
United Kingdom

Quote:
Lee Southward wrote:
n our organization we have a saying "brutal brown belts" this is because, from red to brown belt you have a million oppertunities to grade, there is always courses on, however once you get brown you have to wait untill sensei picks you to do your shodan, this could take anywhere from 3 months to 3 years. so my point, there is an average of 4 in every 100 brown belts get picked so everyone gets this brutal head on whenever sensei is around, they start smashing people in to the mat and ripping peoples arms off sweating testosterone from every orifice and then smiling at sensei as if to say "LOOK AT MY AIKIDO DOS'NT IT ROCK" sensei must be wetting himself inside but he manages to keep a straight face,the best thing is when you are brown belt you dont even realize you doing it its fantastic to watch.the wurst thing is not to long ago i was one of them. has anyone else noticed this, in your organization.
If it would be in another section I probably would have been able to tell you, it is about realising that your techniques are rubbish. It is also about trying to make them work, with intent in a martial way. I would have been able to tell you, that the way to understanding, how it is done, unfortunately for most people is through brutal aggression. But as you put it in the humor section, I cannot share this wisdom with you, for it is far to serious.
All I can tell you is:
EAT MY DUST!
CU tonight.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:21 AM   #4
Kampfussel
Dojo: Cleadon Village
England

A good way to cure people of the brutal brownbelt syndrome is to give them to the dan grades at their club and let the dan grades have some fun. We sometimes refer to the more senior kyu grades as mat fodder. It's just good to remind them of their place sometimes. You can also use the excuse that you're helping them to apply techniques is ever more inventive and unpleasant ways. At least thats what I do. lol..... Harmoniously of course. I'm off to get beaten up by a 3rd dan tonight. Ta ta.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:54 AM   #5
raul rodrigo
Philippines

Chris is right. the easiest way to tame them is to remind the brownbelts rather forcefully of their place in the food chain.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:12 AM   #6
Michael Meister
United Kingdom

Quote:
Chris Green wrote:
A good way to cure people of the brutal brownbelt syndrome is to give them to the dan grades at their club and let the dan grades have some fun. We sometimes refer to the more senior kyu grades as mat fodder. It's just good to remind them of their place sometimes. You can also use the excuse that you're helping them to apply techniques is ever more inventive and unpleasant ways. At least thats what I do. lol..... Harmoniously of course. I'm off to get beaten up by a 3rd dan tonight. Ta ta.
Of course sometimes the black belts get run over by brown belts in 2 on 1 randori....
Old 02-12-2007, 02:38 AM   #7
Selnith
Dojo: Cleadon
United Kingdom
Freaky! Re: brutal brown belts

Quote:
Chris Green wrote:
but i'm only little and you all seem to take great pleasure in beating me to a pulp
Old 02-12-2007, 06:34 AM   #8
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany

Quote:
Krystyna McGurk wrote:
but i'm only little and you all seem to take great pleasure in beating me to a pulp
Dear Krystyna,

you should complain only, if you are smaller than O'Sensei was. (some 150 cm)

But even if you can't beat up those bullies, there are some strategies to get help.

For example you can ask a very good aikidoka to get your partners right after you. On a simple hint your 'white knight' can treat them as they treated you. Very gentle or a bit less gentle.

Or you ask sensei for help. Tell him about your problem. Then, if you are treated badly, you just ask sensei "Could you please tell me, how to take ukemi without getting hurt?" He will then give a short explanation and then shows the technique on your partner in a very hard execution form. Then he can say "Well, if your skills are not good enough, nage should perform the technique more gently and softly."

That should help, unless an idiot thinks, he should perform the technique exactly as sensei showed. Then you need another strategy

Cheers

Dirk
Old 02-12-2007, 10:58 AM   #9
mriehle

Dojo: New School Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Chris Green wrote:
A good way to cure people of the brutal brownbelt syndrome is to give them to the dan grades at their club and let the dan grades have some fun.
I've flat out told brown belts that a brown belt is a license to be abused by yudansha. Particularly if said brown belt is being worn by someone ages 13-20.

I like to use brown belts for practice on koshi nage. For the record, I can't actually do koshi nage, but I'm working on it. Brown belts are perfect "practice partners".

(SLAM!!! No that wasn't right, let me try that again. WHAM!! Still not quite right, one more time...)

Old 02-13-2007, 02:59 PM   #10
Michael Meister
United Kingdom

Quote:
Krystyna McGurk wrote:
It's not like you would want it any other way ,
Old 02-17-2007, 01:32 PM   #11
Selnith
Dojo: Cleadon
United Kingdom

Quote:
Michael Meister wrote:
It's not like you would want it any other way ,
well no, i guess not, but still... stuff...ness...i don' know i've done 2 mock gradings today (but i did get to koshi half the class) and my ankle hurts, be nice to me!
Old 02-21-2007, 11:10 AM   #12
Michael Meister
United Kingdom

Quote:
Krystyna McGurk wrote: View Post
well no, i guess not, but still... stuff...ness...i don' know i've done 2 mock gradings today (but i did get to koshi half the class) and my ankle hurts, be nice to me!
I'm by definitin a nice person and nice to everyone, even with a brown belt on. ;-)
Old 02-23-2007, 06:52 AM   #13
mut

United Kingdom

Quote:
Michael Meister wrote: View Post
I'm by definitin a nice person and nice to everyone, even with a brown belt on. ;-)
dream on her doctor, nice means you have to be pleasant with people..
Old 02-23-2007, 07:32 AM   #14
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
United_States

I always enjoy the opportunity of having yudansha show me my place.

Taikyoku Mind & Body
http://taikyokumindandbody.com
Old 02-23-2007, 07:57 AM   #15
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Ha! good luck to the yudansha!

B,
R

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 02-24-2007, 02:04 AM   #16
Michael Meister
United Kingdom

Quote:
Lee Southward wrote: View Post
dream on her doctor, nice means you have to be pleasant with people..
So, you want to say, I am not pleasant? I am pleasant and have a smile for everyone!
Old 02-28-2007, 10:13 AM   #17
mut

United Kingdom

Quote:
Michael Meister wrote: View Post
So, you want to say, I am not pleasant? I am pleasant and have a smile for everyone!
ahh but what lurks behind that smile,,
Old 02-28-2007, 11:41 AM   #18
Michael Meister
United Kingdom

Quote:
Lee Southward wrote: View Post
ahh but what lurks behind that smile,,
joy and pleasure of course ;-)
Old 02-28-2007, 11:56 AM   #19
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Never had any problem..... Wait till I got them outside of the dojo on the pretext of something else and gave them a thorough pasting.... end of Bully Brown Belt
Old 02-28-2007, 01:07 PM   #20
Budd

United_States

Eh, I'd rather keep it in the dojo and on the mat and invite people to give me a thorough pasting if they want to . . . I'll even buy the beers afterwards.

Taikyoku Mind & Body
Old 03-01-2007, 07:46 AM   #21
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Budd Yuhasz wrote: View Post
Eh, I'd rather keep it in the dojo and on the mat and invite people to give me a thorough pasting if they want to . . . I'll even buy the beers afterwards.
Yes I would agree but it doesn't always work that way! With some individuals its best kept private so they don't suffer the humiliation!
I will offer my hand and a beer..... if accepted! different people different strokes!
Old 03-01-2007, 07:52 AM   #22
Budd

United_States

Sometimes humiliation (dished out with a smile, followed by a hand and beer) itself is a good reality check, speaking from my own experience on both sides. It helps bare the ego (which can be the worst barrier to learning).

Last edited by Budd : 03-01-2007 at 07:56 AM.

Taikyoku Mind & Body
Old 03-01-2007, 11:04 AM   #23
John A Butz
Dojo: Itten Dojo, Enola PA
United_States

Budd, I have no desire to see your bare ego....

Old 03-01-2007, 12:06 PM   #24
Budd

United_States

Quote:
John Butz wrote: View Post
*ZING*

Now that WOULD be BRUTAL!

er, I'm glad this is the humor section . . . even if mine barely rates as an example . . . and don't get me started on skirt freestylin' . . .

Hey, look over there, it's Keanu Reeves!!

Last edited by Budd : 03-01-2007 at 12:09 PM.

Taikyoku Mind & Body
Old 03-03-2007, 04:03 PM   #25
mut

United Kingdom

Quote:
John Butz wrote: View Post

you have a bare ego, is that like a naked ego, i think one of my students, well 2 actually like naked egos.(michael miester and steve handford),maybe they have a desire to see a naked ego