Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Language

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-03-2008, 05:04 PM   #26
Kent Enfield

United_States
Re: Translation

Just to be clear, you're asking for a translation into Japanese of a paraphrase of an English translation of the Chinese original and people are concerned about accuracy? If accuracy is important, you want to go straight from the original to the target language, preferably done by someone who is native in the target language and fluent in the original and knowledgeable of the context.

Kentokuseisei
Old 12-03-2008, 06:00 PM   #27
GeneC
United_States

This really is not a big deal. I really didn't think it'd be this much of a problem and it's beginning to feel like beating a dead horse, so I'd just as soon drop this. I've got it in English and I've got it in Chinese, so that's good enough. Thanks all.

Only between a single breath is Yin/Yang in harmony
Emotion is pure energy flowing feely thru the body-Dan Millman
Old 01-05-2009, 08:10 AM   #28
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

Quote:
Jeremy Morrison wrote: View Post
Yeah, I see what you mean, Carl; "kokyu no naka ni" could be in the middle of exhaling or inhaling. "Kokyu no aida ni" seems a little weird, though, too, because I always think of "aida ni" as defining the space between two things.
Of the two, I would default, if the context is aikido, to "kokyu no naka ni" as it relates directly to the founders' vision of the importance of Ame no Mi-naka-nushi no Kami -- Master of the Center-Heaven. Abe Sensei describes this kami as "root of breath" and in an interview on this topic has the following:

Quote:
Abe Sensei wrote:
In a case of Aikido, there are invisible heart and breathe there. And, if one trains the method of
breathing mainly by oneself, one's own Aikido will be established. The way of training of body is
depend on where one places Minakanushi. It means that heart, breathe, and body should be
united and, when one practices, heart, breathe, and body must be located at the center.
"Exhale, stop breathing, inhale, hold breathing", each position of breathing method is the
location of Minakanushi. The technique is changed by your decision of which one is main: Is
inhale main?, is holding breath main?, is exhale main?, or is stopping breathing main? The
choice can be made unconsciously by training. Therefore, the Aikido will be Aikido with
harmony.
In a home, Minakanushi is different when the husband is main and when the wife is main. The
elements of Minakanushi are what something main (sic) will never be fixed. The center moves
around, but it is never fixed.
The wife is Minakanushi until preparing breakfast in the morning. While having meal, the
husband is Minakanushi. After the husband went work, the wife becomes Minakanushi. Just
like that, Minakanushi never be fixed.
Minakanushi of "Kojiki" teaches us to get it and know it.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:21 AM   #29
Ethan Weisgard
Dojo: Copenhagen Aiki Shuren Dojo
Denmark

Quote:
Clarence Couch wrote: View Post
Well, I have some nasty scars from my wrist to my armpit from a bad accident with a big piece of glass, so I'm considering covering them up, but I'm afraid the quote is too much writing. I'll probably go with a dragon.
Dear Clarence,

I would just like to mention that if you plan on spending time in Japan, tattoos are still almost only worn by yakuza. The rock'n'roll crowd is starting to sport them now as well, but tattoos are highly stigmatized in Japanese society. Many swimming pools, onsen (hot spring baths) and sento (traditional Japanese hot spring bath houses)have a no-tattoo policy. Not only for your own sake, but also for the sake of the Japanese people who you in the future might be befriending will be put in trying situations. Please consider this.

In aiki,

Ethan Weisgard