Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-04-2011, 11:14 PM   #26
kewms
Re: The point of aikido osae

Quote:
Jon Reading wrote: View Post
As a tangental point that I make about the severity in which we train and apply pins, consider the response as uke. Why would you resist a pin if you knew that pin could cause you physical harm? Consider that it only takes one technique, one time, to destroy your shoulder or your wrist.
Indeed. Nage has a responsibility to not damage their partner, but I think uke also has a responsibility to not be stupid.

While it's probably true that a wrist-focused pain-compliance nikkyo wouldn't stop a determined attacker, it's also true that I only have two wrists. Keeping them both intact is more important to me than proving that my partner's technique is incorrect.

Katherine
Old 10-05-2011, 02:39 AM   #27
Tim Ruijs

Dojo: Makato/Netherlands
Netherlands

I think it is important to note that an attacker probably does not recognise the pin until the moment it controls him. Such an attacker may then automatically try and resist, simply because he does not exactly know what is happening and perhaps cause damage to himself.
So you would require much less intend than you would in practise where the attacker is fully aware of what is about to happen and thus anticipates.

However that said, in practise I always say we practise for the opponent that is a tad bit better than we are, so we have to work hard to get things right.

In a real fight:
* If you make a bad decision, you die.
* If you don't decide anything, you die.
Aikido teaches you how to decide.
www.aikido-makato.nl
Old 10-05-2011, 06:28 AM   #28
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Tim Ruijs wrote: View Post
However that said, in practise I always say we practise for the opponent that is a tad bit better than we are, so we have to work hard to get things right.
i believed this is where koryu model worked better. if my understanding is correct, in koryu, uke usually was the teacher or senior person, which meant uke was better. and as the senior person, uke knew when, where and how to resist or comply to the pin to teach nage the right way and the wrong way; yet as the same time can protect himself/herself from overly excited nage. however, aikido model, at the moment, isn't the case. i kinda like the systema approach; they just hit you wherever you try to resist. that's another thing. aikido folks don't like to hit folks when they are down. rolling around with the systema folks and they will dispel that notion in a hurry. quite enlightening experience.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:41 AM   #29
Tim Ruijs

Dojo: Makato/Netherlands
Netherlands

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
i believed this is where koryu model worked better. if my understanding is correct, in koryu, uke usually was the teacher or senior person, which meant uke was better. and as the senior person, uke knew when, where and how to resist or comply to the pin to teach nage the right way and the wrong way; yet as the same time can protect himself/herself from overly excited nage. however, aikido model, at the moment, isn't the case. i kinda like the systema approach; they just hit you wherever you try to resist. that's another thing. aikido folks don't like to hit folks when they are down. rolling around with the systema folks and they will dispel that notion in a hurry. quite enlightening experience.
IMHO, That kinda depends on the lineage you are in and how you practise. I agree that most often you will find highly stylized techniques and a set of rules on what you can or cannot do. (Lot of this has been discussed in the power threads).

Dan said it would be wise for teacher to take ukemi all the time. This works two fold, on one side you will feel what your student is trying to do, on the other hand you learn much more about your own control as uke (like you also mentioned). I have started doing just that to find out what happens... it has been interesting so far!

Before this derails too far I will stop here...sorry

In a real fight:
* If you make a bad decision, you die.
* If you don't decide anything, you die.
Aikido teaches you how to decide.
www.aikido-makato.nl
Old 10-05-2011, 09:08 PM   #30
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

In Jujutsu you just rip the arm off; in fact, it could be half ripped off by the time he gets to the ground. In Aikido, you take them down and hold them in a controlled way from beginning to end - an altogether much harder task. At the end, you just sit there holding them. If your hold is good, and uke then tries to escape, then he will hurt or injure himself. To me, that's how it is.