Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Testing

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-15-2006, 04:25 AM   #1
jimmy2006
Dojo: ki-shin-tai
Northern Ireland
funny grading moments

Hello everyone, I passed my first grade on tuesday and I had a bit of a funnyexperience during it we were doing randori and the instructor said show me kaiten-nage, which is ok but everytime I do kaiten-nageIalways turn with it to face my next opponent during the randori for my grade the uke's kept attacking with their right hand and soon after a while I started to get really dizzy because it was on the right sde I kept spinning clockwise to face the next opponent itwas really funny I had to stop the randori and stagger over to the wall to stabilise myselfI was wondering if anyone else has any funny anecdotes about previous gradings
Old 09-24-2006, 02:33 PM   #2
John (King John)

Dojo: Prince Bishops Durham/ White Rose
England
Re: funny grading moments

I know someone who did happo giri with a jo. Are you there Steve?

Grab my arm.....The other arm.....MY other arm
Old 09-25-2006, 02:03 AM   #3
Yann Golanski

Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
United Kingdom

My taughest grading ever started with sensei reminding us the etiquette for puking and passing out from exhaution on the mat. We knew then that it will be hard. Very hard.

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido
Old 09-25-2006, 08:00 AM   #4
Amelia Smith

Dojo: Martha's Vineyard Aikido Club

In my 1st kyu test, I was a little vague on the tanto takeaways -- I didn't know that the sensei would call the attacks, and I wasn't particularly good with one of them. Anyway, I got hit on the head with the tanto, which made a ringing, hollow sound. I guess my adrenaline was up, because it didn't hurt much.

Other than that, the test was fine.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:20 AM   #5
Steve Mullen
Dojo: White Rose (Sunderland)
England

Yes John im here, and sean had to tell sensei bernard when io gopt up to do it this time, Oh the shame of it all

"No matter your pretence, you are what you are and nothing more." - Kenshiro Abbe Shihan
Old 10-23-2006, 06:08 AM   #6
stuarttheobald
Dojo: Shoshinkai
United Kingdom

seventh kyu grading....forgot that i was mean to be Uke and gave Shite a nice atemi to the bridge of his nose before he could do it to me......

Old 10-23-2006, 07:41 AM   #7
Mary Turner
Dojo: Joshinkan
United_States

Quote:
Yann Golanski wrote:
My taughest grading ever started with sensei reminding us the etiquette for puking and passing out from exhaution on the mat. We knew then that it will be hard. Very hard.

Yann, what is the etiquette for puking and passing out? I'm very curious.

MT
Old 10-23-2006, 09:30 AM   #8
Steve Mullen
England

I know in our org the puking bit is the same as the bleeding bit, if you think that you can get off the matt before it begins then try, if not use the Gi

"No matter your pretence, you are what you are and nothing more." - Kenshiro Abbe Shihan
Old 11-03-2006, 04:16 PM   #9
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido

I once saw a man's pants fall to his ankles during his juyuwaza. It caused quite a stir!

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
Old 11-03-2006, 08:49 PM   #10
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

Quote:
Jorge Garcia wrote:
I once saw a man's pants fall to his ankles during his juyuwaza. It caused quite a stir!
I saw a local Tae Kwan Do instructor lose trou in the middle of a demo once too....
It takes a lot of aplomb to snatch up your pants with one hand and clutching them to you - continue to kick and break the targets.

Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 11-03-2006, 09:19 PM   #11
acot
Dojo: West Michigan Aikido
United_States

I was told that in the 'AAA' if one die during grading you're automatically promoted to 10th Dan. Even if it's a kyu grade testing. .

Ryan
Old 11-04-2006, 10:11 PM   #12
Jess McDonald
United_States

That's sick!! (uhh...for those of you that are not in the now...sick means cool.) Late.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:33 AM   #13
Selnith
Dojo: Cleadon
United Kingdom

a friend told me what his sensei told him when he did judo
you bleed on to mat (or make any other kind of mess) you clean it up
you make a clean patch on the mat, you clean the whole mat
you make the mat stand out because it's a different colour, you clean the rest of the mats
apparently only one kid ever bled on the mats
Old 11-06-2006, 01:51 AM   #14
RampantWolf
Dojo: Cork Aiki Dojo
Ireland

Quote:
Jess McDonald wrote:
That's sick!! (uhh...for those of you that are not in the now...sick means cool.) Late.
Does that mean you call 'call in cool' at work?

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:45 AM   #15
mriehle

Dojo: New School Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Gavin Pay wrote:
Does that mean you call 'call in cool' at work?
Remember, the point of this kind of vernacular is to piss off and confuse parents. It serves no other purpose, really.

The Aikido approach to dealing with it would be to learn and accept it so that you undermine your kids' ability to speak in code. I do this to my daughter all the time and it really annoys her. But it also allows me to be the overprotective dad that I need to be.

On Topic: When she started Aikido it was my idea. She took to it immediately. So I decided I should attend one of her promotions. This was a big deal because of my work commute, but it turned out to be worth it.

Perspective: She was eight or nine and small for her age.

Randori: Sensei doesn't like some of the randori's he's seen so far and tells the uke's to "knock-em-down" if they don't execute the throw.

My daughter's turn: One of her uke's was a tall brown belt who took the "knock-em-down" instruction very seriously. He came at her like a freight train. He hit her hard enough to force her to step back and go down on one knee...

...at which point she executed a near-perfect sumi otoshi sending him flying in a beautiful arc over her head. His face was priceless. He was sure he had her when she went to her knee.

I wish I'd had a camcorder running.

Old 11-06-2006, 09:05 AM   #16
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

I love that version of sumi otoshi!

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 11-06-2006, 02:06 PM   #17
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Nah, in the AAA, if you accidently kill your Uke during a test, you have to take falls for all testing until the next candidate kills someone by accident. If you die during your own test, the test committee helps you find your center by doubling your body over, tying it with your last rank obi, and stuffing you in a trash can at the nearest Karate McDojo.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 11-15-2006, 06:19 AM   #18
Amanda
Dojo: Exeter Ki Aikido
United Kingdom

My first grading (5th Kyu) I was sitting and waiting to be called up. There was an open door behind me and a draft coming in. I got so worried that my feet were going to fall asleep that I got over my worries about my test. When I was called up I didn't fall flat on my face but I did get the wrong line to sit down on. Actually i did that at the start of my 4th Kyu test as well, I took that as a hopeful sign. When you start worrying about the ettiquet of the situation somehow the techniques seem less scary.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:33 PM   #19
Steve Mullen
England

Its funny how doing something wrong (or getting really close to it) can make you relax for the rest of the grading. in my 3rd Kyu (yes John the one with that thing i did with the jo) sensei called out the attack that uki was to do, in my head the terminology made no sense, so i see Uki comin at me and just cut and moved into him, next thing i know uki flys off the matt and im still standing........it was about then that i understood what the attack was meant to be

Old 11-23-2006, 01:48 PM   #20
John (King John)

Dojo: Prince Bishops Durham/ White Rose
England

[quote=Steve Mullen]Its funny how doing something wrong in my 3rd Kyu (yes John the one with that thing i did with the jo)
I love you too, Steve

Grab my arm.....The other arm.....MY other arm
Old 11-23-2006, 04:49 PM   #21
Steve Mullen
England

I feel so happy right now.

Old 12-13-2006, 03:31 PM   #22
Princess Rose

Dojo: Aikido of Northern CO
United_States

Ok best thread ever!!!

It's not too funny but my grandmother flew out for my shodan last year but it was in the morning so my parents (not morning people) got her to the dojo late. She had missed pretty much the whole test, but just as the randori part was about to begin I saw her slowly walking to the dojo. How we do randori on a test is that nage bows to his/her ukes when ready to begin. I didn't want my grandma to miss any more so I pretended to need to catch my breath until she was seated. I guess I'm not a good actress (I usually never need to catch my breath) everybody was laughing by the time I bowed.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:26 PM   #23
seank
Australia

2nd kyu grading this weekend just gone; was asked for tsuki irimi-nage (aka coat-hanger for those at home) and went into total brain meltdown. I tried to do some very strange variations and ended up giving up because I couldn't think of it.

During the jiyu-waza I performed it five times without thinking. Go figure
Old 12-30-2006, 03:08 PM   #24
crbateman

Sean, you came up with the answer yourself. When you don't think hard about it, it just happens (assuming you have practiced it LOTS).

Mr. Miyagi said it best: "Your best karate still inside... Time to LET OUT..."
Old 12-31-2006, 11:28 AM   #25
Niadh
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido, MA

Mildly Amusing.
During higher ranking (2nd kyu and up) tests, My sensei usually waits for the nage to throw two (or more)ukes at the same time to end the test. During my shodan test I was having such a good time and enjoying the movement, that i was doing my best to not perform this feat (either that or the stinkers were trying to make me go longer..) However, at one point one uke attacked with a yokomen, and while redirecting that attack, a second yokomen came from the opposite side. It seemed (to me at least) the most natural thing in the world to join the to ukes together. They seemed a bit confused to suddenly be hugging each other, but I guess sensei thought that was close enough to a double throw, because while the whole dojo was laughing, he called an end to the test.
Thats my story and I'm Sticking to it.
Niadh

Non Satis Scire
Niadh Feathers