Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-14-2006, 04:57 PM   #1
leemcbride2020

Dojo: Aiki Budo Centre
Canada
Question from a beginner

Hello,

If anyone out there knows of a site that may provide diagrams/pictures of the basic 6 movements, could you please send the link along? I find I want to practice at home when away from the dojo, however this doesn't work if I can't remember how to do them correctly!

Thanks so much!

Erin,
London, ON
Canada
Old 10-14-2006, 08:05 PM   #2
Paul Nicholls
Canada
Re: Question from a beginner

Hey Erin! Think I am from the same dojo and in the same boat. I'm the (very) old guy who just started and also missed all last week--not a good start! Anyway, I've been looking too and found two vids on YouTube that you MIGHT be able to glean the techniques from a bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK6mi_77X6o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAWW85LcKps

Otherwise, "Kihon Dosa" will prove a better search term on Google than "fundamental/basic," it's not TOO hard to find basic name/description as this:

Tai no henko ichi
Cross step in body change (solo)
Step-in movement when pulled

And I expect those detailed diagrams we can't find may be in books. London Public Library has several and they will send them from central to your local branch for you. Otherwise, maybe we worry too much and just need to learn "in person" and will "get" it enough to practice pretty soon? But maybe someone else will give us a good lead too--it would be quite useful to be able to practice between classes?

Maybe "osu!" is the bottom line here, though? Anyway, see you Tuesday or Thursday I guess!
Old 10-14-2006, 08:38 PM   #3
Paul Nicholls
Canada

[Me again] These are my very first posts on this thing although I have been lurking about for half a year. Anyway, speaking of YouTube, if you want to get really inspired, you could check this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TLz5GayVdU

Mostly demonstrations I guess, but a rather inspiring short promo! I guess there's a definite division of opinion on this board about Steven Seagal, and don't think I much approve of him, but I wouldn't dare to have an opinion--whether good, bad, or indifferent: he surely knows more about aikido than you or me!

Anyway, must now have the hang of posting on this thing and it should prove to be a goldmine of help and information for us in future (if we don't bug the seniors TOO much...)
Old 10-15-2006, 12:29 AM   #4
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Howdy,

As you're new you may not be aware that there are many many styles/organizations/versions of Aikido. Even within the same organization the way techniques are done, and what are considered basics, can vary from sensei to sensei.

Without knowing what style you're doing, and your sensei's lineage (their sensei and so on) we can't really guide you anywhere.

You can check out the AikiWiki section on STYLES for some background info.

Now for my stock answer to your question---ask your sensei
Your dojo or organization may have style specific books or videos available or they may just be able to point you in the right direction. If you don't check with them first there's a chance you may get something that doesn't follow what you're learning and that can be confusing in the beginning.

Good luck and welcome,

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 10-15-2006, 06:00 AM   #5
Paul Nicholls
Canada

Duh--yes, I guess we should ask! Everyone has been more than helpful so far and guess they always are. I knew someone here would steer us newbies in the right direction!

Aiki Budo Centre is Yoshinkan and all the background about the instructors etc.is on the website at
http://www.aikido.on.ca. Plus it looks like they anticipated our question too, since they've created two resources that look like they would be useful at home:

Two digitaly mastered videotapes showing 9th kyu through 1st Kyu. This set features Shinan Amos Parker 8th Dan. The two tape set uses two angle views (ground level and 3/4 top view) so that students can grasp the intracacies of the techniques.

Kyu Review CD. A Web browser based CD database showing 9th kyu through 1st Kyu. Glossary, stills, video, more.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:51 AM   #6
me32dc
Dojo: Renshinkai - Sussex
United Kingdom

I do Yoshinkan and have always done Kihon Dosa this way:
Hiriki No Yosei Ichi (elbow power 1)
Hiriki No Yosei Ni (elbow power 2)
Tai No Henko Ichi (body change movement 1)
Tai No Henki Ni (body change movement 2)
Shumatsu Dosa Ichi (after-class exercise 1)
Shumatsu Dosa Ni (after-class exercise 2)

If you want to build up a daily routine Kihon Dosa with some Migi Hanmi Kamae and Hidari Hanmi Kamae and Shikko-Ho (knee walking) are a good start point. But ask you Sensei first as he might have a daily routine he wants you to do.

A useful book to get is Total Aikido by Gozo Shioda Sensei. It is good for beginners as it shows the basics clearly with key points to observe.

Old 10-15-2006, 07:55 AM   #7
Paul Nicholls
Canada

Those tips will certainly be helpful--thanks!
Old 10-15-2006, 09:46 AM   #8
graham

Dojo: Northampton Ki Aikido Club
United Kingdom

Yeah, I'd second 'Total Aikido', (or his other, 'Dynamic Aikido). It's a very different style to mine, but useful for jogging the memory.

You could also think about purchasing: http://aikido3d.com/
Old 10-15-2006, 07:35 PM   #9
leemcbride2020

Canada

A BIG thankyou to Paul, Bronson, Graham and Dominic for replying to my novice question. Much appreciated!

I have been looking for books and multimedia that can assist me in exercising and practicing at home, and you have all made great suggestions.

I stayed after class yesterday and had one of the instructors go over a few things with me, which was great. That's one thing I've noticed about our dojo, and have heard about Aikidoists in general - there's always a helping hand there when you need it.

Thanks again, everyone, and hope to see you soon, Paul!

Take care...have a wonderful Sunday evening.

Erin
Old 10-16-2006, 05:58 AM   #10
stuarttheobald
Dojo: Shoshinkai
United Kingdom

can i suggest that if you are looking for some videos showing the basic yoshinkan moves there are two lots our there you can get...nip over to http://www.aikidoshudokan.com/ and you should be able to pick up the DVD's that are there...great, great DVD's, well worth a look. Alternatively you can get the enitre Yoshinkan syllabus on DVD, its out there though i couldnt find it after a quick look...both a re very valid if you are studying Yoshinkan and will help....but the best advice...train more

Old 10-16-2006, 07:21 AM   #11
graham

Dojo: Northampton Ki Aikido Club
United Kingdom

Erin, I should clarify that my answer was a newbie one. So it may not be the 'right' answer, just something that I've found helpful as a fellow novice.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:03 AM   #12
leemcbride2020

Canada

Quote:
Graham Old wrote:
Yeah, I'd second 'Total Aikido', (or his other, 'Dynamic Aikido). It's a very different style to mine, but useful for jogging the memory.

You could also think about purchasing: http://aikido3d.com/

Your being a "newbie" is all the more reason, Graham, that I should respect and consider your suggestion...you're in the same position.

Thanks,

Erin
Old 10-16-2006, 11:48 AM   #13
Paul Nicholls
Canada

Yes, other beginners will be able to empathize naturally with our cluelessness. Everyone mentioned asking the sensei/sempai and that's got to be prime advice. But lots of other good indications too. If that book was written by Gozo Shioda then it must practically be a bible for us? That 3d Aikido thing looked awfully good (with multiple pages of glowing testimonials) but might not be specifically Yoshinkan. The two things they made at our own place have got to be spot-on but big question would be choosing between the videos (bigger picture but maybe not as flexible) and the CD (maybe not as good video but extra content and more easily navigable). In any case, we've got lots of excellent advice!
Old 10-16-2006, 12:30 PM   #14
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Aikido 3d is out of the USAF East camp...Donovan Waite would be the central aikido figure for that, I believe. Good stuff, but not yoshinkan. Apparently it reflects more of his time on the east coast than the time he spent with Chiba Shihan...but I don't really know for sure myself. I haven't used aikido 3d, though I did consider buying it. I have attended one of Waite Sensei's seminars...vitu vizuri sana (very good stuff).

I've seen vids of folks from Chiba Shihan...they sure looked like yoshinkan to me! In person, I can see distinct differences...but the video often looks very similar.

Best,
Ron

Last edited by Ron Tisdale : 10-16-2006 at 12:32 PM.

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 10-16-2006, 01:28 PM   #15
me32dc
Dojo: Renshinkai - Sussex
United Kingdom

Total Aikido is my bible, it covers all the basics we do and the advice given with each move copies what my Sensei says. I really can not recommend it highly enough for anyone studying Yoshinkan Aikido as you can look back and refresh your memory or look after class to read bits you missed Sensei talk about or didn't immediately understand.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:08 AM   #16
robertfrisby

Erin,
Check out this website:
http://www.budodojo.com/taijutsu.htm

There are videos of most of the requirements for each kyu level.
I am new to Aikido as well and found this helpful.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:09 PM   #17
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido

There's a lot of Nishio style here.
http://www.aikidojo.info/html/video.html

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
Old 11-11-2006, 08:22 PM   #18
leemcbride2020

Canada

Hi Robert,

Life has kept me busy, so I've just now seen your post. I will check out the link asap! Thanks so much.

Erin

Quote:
Robert Frisby wrote:
Erin,
Check out this website:
http://www.budodojo.com/taijutsu.htm

There are videos of most of the requirements for each kyu level.
I am new to Aikido as well and found this helpful.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:26 PM   #19
Paul Nicholls
Canada

Is that Erin again? Think I've missed two weeks--am I going to be fired? Think the important thing is to be there 20 years from now, but sure you can't make progress without 3-4x/week. I am getting off to a VERY slow start... I did order the Gozo Shiodo book and all other suggestions were very useful. Should be able to at least recognize the six basic things from that book?
Old 11-11-2006, 08:30 PM   #20
leemcbride2020

Canada

Thanks very much for posting the link, Jorge.

Erin

Quote:
Jorge Garcia wrote:
There's a lot of Nishio style here.
http://www.aikidojo.info/html/video.html
Old 11-11-2006, 08:34 PM   #21
leemcbride2020

Canada

Hi Paul~!

Tested today for yellow stripe and passed. Went through all the end-of-class exercises, knee walking, and very basic other things. Quite intimidating, getting up in front of everyone, but I've been told that's one of the hardest parts about testing.

I am definitely going to look for and buy the Gozo Shiodo book. I need to practice far more at home.

Take care. Hope to see you Tuesday?

Erin

Quote:
Paul Nicholls wrote:
Is that Erin again? Think I've missed two weeks--am I going to be fired? Think the important thing is to be there 20 years from now, but sure you can't make progress without 3-4x/week. I am getting off to a VERY slow start... I did order the Gozo Shiodo book and all other suggestions were very useful. Should be able to at least recognize the six basic things from that book?
Old 11-11-2006, 08:41 PM   #22
Paul Nicholls
Canada

Congratulations! Still not exactly sure who you are but sure I know you by sight! Is that a yellow belt with stripe? Well! You are no longer a beginner (well--a COMPLETE beginner! I understand that everyone regards themselves as a beginner even after many years) I will be there Tuesday but expect to be regarded with suspicion after missing so long. I am having a hard time finding time--but MUST do so--it's worth it! Had to do your stuff in front of everyone, eh? I have watched some (mostly kids I think) and is definitely a public spectacle (although at these levels largely a foregone conclusion)--but I can easily imagine making all manner of stupid mistakes just because everyone is watching! Hell--we make them just because Sensei is watching? Anyways, you are now well on your way!
Old 11-11-2006, 08:54 PM   #23
leemcbride2020

Canada

Hi again Paul,

I'm easy to spot - there are only two girls with white belts in the Tues/Sat classes; little itty-bitty Sarah, who wears lavender glasses and is about 25 years old, and myself, 36 years old, dark curly hair. Please say hello when next we meet.

Thanks very much for the congratulations.

Take care,

Erin

Quote:
Paul Nicholls wrote:
Congratulations! Still not exactly sure who you are but sure I know you by sight! Is that a yellow belt with stripe? Well! You are no longer a beginner (well--a COMPLETE beginner! I understand that everyone regards themselves as a beginner even after many years) I will be there Tuesday but expect to be regarded with suspicion after missing so long. I am having a hard time finding time--but MUST do so--it's worth it! Had to do your stuff in front of everyone, eh? I have watched some (mostly kids I think) and is definitely a public spectacle (although at these levels largely a foregone conclusion)--but I can easily imagine making all manner of stupid mistakes just because everyone is watching! Hell--we make them just because Sensei is watching? Anyways, you are now well on your way!
Old 11-11-2006, 09:00 PM   #24
Paul Nicholls
Canada

Fraid I'm too clueless to even get that far, but MIGHT sort of know which one you are from the curly hair. BUT--you are no longer one of the two girls with the white belt, remember? In any case, think we are using this public forum for personal chit chat which is probably unrecommended so will stop. See you Tuesday (for sure!)