Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-26-2002, 04:55 AM   #1
Genex

Dojo: Warrington Seishin Kai
Smile Hello, Konnichiwa, Guten Tag, Bonjour...

Hello one and all, thought i'd introduce myself
my name is peter i'm from warrington, england
inbetween manchester and liverpool just on the river mersey i took up aikido three weeks ago and i love it already the only thing i cant do for very long is sit in Seiza
I enjoy it lots and find it very natural, i like the movements they seem very erm..fluidic? i dont know if you'd describe it like that but thats what i see it as its calming but invigorating at the same time
a good friend introduced me to it and i've gotta say i'm hooked i have my Gi and i'm ready for this weeks class

i do have one question if anybody has any suggestions on training outside of class? obviously there not being any Kata's except for with weapons i dont know what to do with myself, i practice sitting in Seiza and do my stretches but i want to do more and idea's?

also does anybody know the difference between Budo (way of the warrior) and Bushido?
i know the meaning for budo but the shi is throwing me i know is has something to do with the 7 ways?
pete
Old 06-26-2002, 06:20 AM   #2
Ghost Fox
Dojo: Jikishinkan Dojo
I'll beat everyone to the punch and say ukemi practice (rolling, sidefalls, breakfalls, etc...)

From my personal experience practice your Tenkans and your Taisabaki (sidesteps, ie getting out of the way.) Don't worry about technique, just learn how to move. Technique come later.

IMHO

Old 06-26-2002, 06:46 AM   #3
Jason Tonks
Dojo: Bracknell Ellis School of Traditonal Aikido
Hello Peter. My name is Jason and I train in at an Aikido dojo in Bracknell. I'm glad you are enjoying your training. Stick in and it will all piece together. On the subject of training outside the dojo is concerned I feel the best way to go about this is to consistently practice movement and posture. This entails practice of Tai Sabaki, Irimi and Tenkan movement and standing in Gigotai (Horse Stance) posture and changing posture from left to right. There are other things you can do especially, if you weapon train, such as Jo Kata and Suburi practice. Unfortunately training on your own is never the same as Dojo training but these are a few things that I feel are of personal benefit. The important thing Peter is to train in the correct spirit, always envisage an opponent and try to make the movements come alive and not just run through the motions. Regarding Budo and Bushido, Budo is an expression that encompasses all the martial arts and the path of the martial artist. Bushido is the ancient code of conduct relating to the Samurai and his way of living. Hope this has been of some help Peter. Good luck and stay with it
Old 06-26-2002, 06:52 AM   #4
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Hello, Konnichiwa, Guten Tag, Bonjour...

Quote:
Originally posted by Genex
also does anybody know the difference between Budo (way of the warrior) and Bushido?
i know the meaning for budo but the shi is throwing me i know is has something to do with the 7 ways?
pete
The "shi" in "bushido" means "samurai", or more commonly "military man". A "bushi" would be a "warrior" making "bushido" the "way of the warrior". In normal usage "bushido" would probably refer mainly to codes of conduct whereas "budo" in normal Japanese usage is pretty much the equivalent of "martial arts" in English.

Unfortunately, the concept of "bushido" got blown out of proportion (and distorted) by Nitobe, Mishima, and the pre-war Japanese military complex (with a liberal mix of material from the Hagakure). I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Best,

Chris

Old 06-26-2002, 07:28 AM   #5
ChristianBoddum

Dojo: Aarhus AiKiKai
Re: Hello, Konnichiwa, Guten Tag, Bonjour...

Hi Peter !
Congrats !
I will add that practice ukemi in a white t-shirt can tell you a lot,you could also do it
in your gi but I will not recommend it,
the grass stains on the t-shirt will show
if and where your back has been connecting to the ground.Simple and revealing.
yours - Chr.B.
Old 06-27-2002, 03:01 AM   #6
Genex

Dojo: Warrington Seishin Kai
Cool

Thanx for the replies ppl!
and the warm welcome, i will practace my Ukemi and horse stance? i'm not sure what that one is but i'll ask Sensei tonight,
that reminds me i better cut the grass in my garden if i'm going to practace my rolls there (been doing them at a friends house who go's aikido with me, he's fascinated with his new bokken and tanto at the moment tho, he collects swords) but i beleive i will have to clear out the wild animals first then cut it,

thanx also for the Bushido definitions that helps alot all i gotta do now is learn how to write shi, Bu and Do are easy but i dont know what Shi looks like i'll find it somewhere

Btw found out last night i'm going to be a daddy YAY! i wonder what age they start teaching Aikido? can you get three yr old black belts?