Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-06-2005, 01:36 PM   #1
DustinAcuff
Dojo: Tan Aiki Dojo
United_States
Daito Ryu vs. Aikido

i'm currently training Daito Ryu and was wondering, what are the technical differences between Daito Ryu and Aikido.

i've been told by some fellow students and sensei that we are considered by some variations of aikido to "brutal" because of the way we offset balance and execute some of our techniques. On the other hand, the majority of my fellow students are officers and prison guards, who have trained in Aikido as well as Daito Ryu, have said that they feel that aikido is less "effective" at neutralizing. Please note, i'm not trying to split hairs or claim one style is more effective than the other!!!!!! Aikido and Daito Ryu both passed through pretty much the same people for the last 1200 years anyway!!

here are some of the differences i have heard about from various sources:

the way we "offset" through raising and or cutting tends to be more pronounced.
our circles are smaller and while techniques are still as fluid, they tend to have more immediate response/effect
at shodan, a student tends to have approx 630 different techniques while modern aikido has approx 150-200ish.

to give an example lets use Rokkyo since it seems to be hot in the forum recently.

as uke's arm is intercted from the inside a downward cut is made while the opposite hand intercepts at the wrist for the pulse rub (forgive, my Japanese is almost non existent for spelling) and intercepting arm raises fire-dragon and intercepts uke's neck at the base of the skull, the wrist-hand will "raise" through an outward wrist turn while the neck-hand points downward, then tenkan is made and center, as well as uke, is lowered to the "high-kneeling" position with uke prone on the ground.

please let me know, also i apologize if this is being posted in the wrong area, as well as if i have butchered the technique.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:45 PM   #2
Anat Amitay
Dojo: Nes- Ziona, "the red house"
Israel
Re: Daito Ryu vs. Aikido

Qoute:
Aikido and Daito Ryu both passed through pretty much the same people for the last 1200 years anyway!!

As far as I know, O sensei passed away around 1969, so I don't know about the 1200 years...
I'm not experienced enough to say anything about the rest, so I'll leave the rest of the space to those more ample!
Anat
(no offence meant)
Old 05-06-2005, 01:50 PM   #3
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Comparing styles is always difficult. As to the number of techniques, I think that likely depends on the organization. The aikikai sets the standard for most affiliated dojos.

From what I have observed with limited viewing of Daito-ryu techniques there are similaries and some differences. The differences I have noted: finishing blows are used more often in Daito-ryu. Atemi is used more often that many styles of aikido (an issue I take umbrage with-I think aikido underutilizes it -see my article in June 2005 BBM). As far as executing techniques, the ones I have seen with Daito-ryu are very similar to Aikido in how they are executed. Slight stylistic differences in how ikkyo is executed is noted even amoung top aikido shihan compared to other shihan.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:54 PM   #4
Dan Rubin
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

Try this thread: "Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu's Relation to Aikido"

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...ighlight=daito

Dan
Old 05-06-2005, 02:25 PM   #5
DustinAcuff
United_States

thanks alot Anat John and Dan! the link was quite helpful.

the comment on Aikido and Daito Ryu having both passing through the same people was a meant as a reference to the Aizu Clan who developed the art that became known Daito Ryu, and what the art that Takeda Sokaku taught O'Sensei. Before O'Sensei applied a different, more softened philosophy to Daito technique, there was no difference. Since then there have been various divisions.

as to the atemi waza present in Daito Ryu and Aikido, i have to admit i know very little of the atemi in aikido, however, from what i have seen in my training, unless the situation is a life-or-death type situation, Atemi should NEVER be used except to develop proficiency in training. The atemi i have seen tends to have extremely devastating consequences for uke, even one used off of a simple ikkyo or nikyo. the atemi associated with nikyo would shatter the carpals and metacarpals in the hand/wrist leaving uke maimed in that hand for life. The atemi i have seen with irimi-nage is an elbow strike delivered to the exposed clavicle notch the instant before the throw would be finished, in essence this blow would shatter the clavicles, sternum, and dislocate the sternum in relation to the ribs, causing what is known as a flail chest. the higher end of the atemi will result in the complete shutdown of any solid organ in the body. i can only speak for the Daito Ryu atemi i have seen, but i would hesitate to think that something that dangerous in a peaceful art could be under-emphasized.

but now i am curious, what are the Atemi-waza that are present in Aikido like?
Old 05-06-2005, 02:53 PM   #6
NagaBaba

DustinAcuff, be very careful, you are delivering very secret details of sacred art of Daito ryu. Daito ryu gods will punish you for sure!!!

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 05-06-2005, 03:33 PM   #7
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

I've fancied trying Daito - Ryu for a while but this makes it sound really appealing. I want to flail peoples chests too!

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:35 PM   #8
Dan Rubin
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

Try this thread: "How do you define Atemi? and how do you use it?"

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showth...8&page=1&pp=25

There is an excellent "search" feature in the "forums" section. Change "Search Entire Posts" to "Search Titles Only" to make your search more efficient.

Dan
Old 05-06-2005, 04:01 PM   #9
DustinAcuff
United_States

thanks a lot once again Dan. by the way, the stuff i mentioned is just the intermediate level stuff, so i'm not worrying about giving away the secrets, i simply dont know any yet. i apoligize for clogging up the forums with stuff that is already there.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:38 PM   #10
NagaBaba

Quote:
Dustin Acuff wrote:
thanks a lot once again Dan. by the way, the stuff i mentioned is just the intermediate level stuff, so i'm not worrying about giving away the secrets, i simply dont know any yet. i apoligize for clogging up the forums with stuff that is already there.
ok, lets talk about aiki
How different is Daito ryu aiki and Aikido aiki?

Nagababa

Old 05-06-2005, 09:58 PM   #11
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai

I had my first exposure to Daito Ryu Aikijitsu in Stockholm a few months ago. The teacher (Jorma Lyly Sensei) is a student of Seigo Okamoto Sensei. I was shocked to find how subtle (and effective) it was, not at all what my Aikido friends had led me to believe it would be like.

Jeanne
Old 05-06-2005, 10:16 PM   #12
DustinAcuff
United_States

Really Jeanne!! that is great to hear. The diffrences in what i'm studying are probably quite minimal as sensei believes that O'Sensei had the market cornered on philosophy so to speak, so he actually softened up what he teaches us. i'm curious, what did your aikido friends say about Daito? i've heard that most modern aikido conciders us "brutal"

by the way, i just realized i've never heard of any orginizations for Daito Ryu, but Sensei recived his shodan and possibly nidan under Katsumi Yonezawa, a 7th Dan.

Nagababa: i'm not quite sure how Daito aiki is diffrent from Aikido aiki so i'm not certain if i can answer the question adequately, but i'll give it a shot. I think I saw this on a Daito Ryu website, and it said something along the lines of Daito Ryu being a jiutsu and so the goal was on self-preservation above all else, which would make sense concidering how/why it was developed. Aikido...i think....was kind of the new philosophy applied to soften up an art since killing and maiming any/all of your opponents was no longer socially acceptable......i'm probably wrong
Old 05-07-2005, 09:23 AM   #13
SeiserL

United_States

Kondo Sensei will be at the Aiki Expo this month. Train with him and find out the differences and similiarities.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 05-07-2005, 01:16 PM   #14
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Quote:
Jeanne Shepard wrote:
I had my first exposure to Daito Ryu Aikijitsu in Stockholm a few months ago. The teacher (Jorma Lyly Sensei) is a student of Seigo Okamoto Sensei. I was shocked to find how subtle (and effective) it was, not at all what my Aikido friends had led me to believe it would be like.
Yes. Okamoto's videos and books are pretty off-putting. They look so fake. But several people whose opinions I value, including Stanley Pranin, vouched for him. I really REALLY wanted to take his UKEMI. I was lucky enough to get a chance to train with Mark Jakabcsin, a student of his, and I too was quite impressed with the subtlety of the technique.

Some of the Okamoto people regard his aiki as substantively different than standard aikido's. I don't find this to be the case myself. The UKEMI feels very similar to what I feel attacking Ikeda or Saotome, e.g. But I found Mark's explanations much clearer than most any other explanations I've had of the practice. Good stuff.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 05-08-2005, 01:52 AM   #15
DustinAcuff
United_States

Lynn, when/where is the aiki expo?? i heard something about it the other day but have no other information. i'd love to go and check it out depending on...well, everything. let me know and i'll see if i can be there!!
Old 05-08-2005, 09:00 AM   #16
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Dustin Acuff wrote:
Lynn, when/where is the aiki expo??
Go to AikidoJournal.com.

It this month, May 27-29, 2005
California State University at Dominguez Hills
Carson, So Cal

Hope to see everyone there.

BTW, in the first Expo, Kondo Sensei personally put a small bruise on my chest bone for working Ken at too short a miai. Very proud of that bruise. ;-)

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 05-08-2005, 10:15 AM   #17
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido

Quote:
Don J. Modesto wrote:
Yes. Okamoto's videos and books are pretty off-putting. They look so fake. But several people whose opinions I value, including Stanley Pranin, vouched for him. I really REALLY wanted to take his UKEMI. I was lucky enough to get a chance to train with Mark Jacobson, a student of his, and I too was quite impressed with the subtlety of the technique.

Some of the Okamoto people regard his aiki as substantively different than standard aikido's. I don't find this to be the case myself. The UKEMI feels very similar to what I feel attacking Ikeda or Saotome, e.g. But I found Mark's explanations much clearer than most any other explanations I've had of the practice. Good stuff.
Last year, four of us, all aikidoists,blackbelts, and instructors from different styles went to train with one of Okamoto Sensei's students and we were all impressed. We followed by attending a two day seminar with Okamoto sensei himself and needless to say, were impressed again. Frankly, as an aikidoist, it threw me for a loop because it turned my world of definitions upside down. When we got finished, Daito ryu seemed like what Aikido was supposed to be and Aikido seemed more like what everyone said Daito ryu was. Now, that has to be qualified somewhat because Okamoto sensei is teaching the higher levels of Daito ryu so that the real essence of "aiki" won't be lost. Having said that, our experience was that that there aren't any "aiki" techniques in Aikido with the same feeling that Daito ryu has. Another thing was that what we did seemed more like jujutsu because it involves minimal force while what he did required no strength at all.. Some of the major Daito ryu principles are present in what we have been shown but are emphasized in a different way than in what Kondo sensei does. One final disclaimer is that some aikido teachers do have similar "aiki" type movements. I was able to see that my instructor, Kato sensei definitely was using similar principles. I don't know if he discovered them himself or was taught them. Most others I have had experience with don't seem to have any of that kind of "aiki" movement but not having trained with everyone, I can't speak for everyone. Okamoto sensei is 80 years of age. I hope his successor is as good as he is so that the world won't lose what he has learned.
Best

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
Old 05-08-2005, 10:36 AM   #18
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido

One more thing. Some of us felt like maybe O Sensei was holding back on his students. It may be that he would occasionally use one of those "Roppokai" moves to take someone down suddenly and then not show the move again. If you had never seen it before, it would be possible to do that and even for your experienced students not to recognize what you had just done. That could account for the many descriptions of having been thrown by him but the uke not understanding how it was done.

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
Old 05-08-2005, 11:10 AM   #19
DustinAcuff
United_States

I am not sure if O Sensei was holding back or not. I have heard that while no one could deny his technique (Daito Ryu), he did not know all of them and could simply have improvised one. I have also personally seen my Sensei do things along those lines. When asked he said that he sometimes goes years without doing it and will actually forget about the technique, but something about THAT attack brought it off of it's little shelf and he simply did it.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:14 AM   #20
Don_Modesto

Quote:
Jorge Garcia wrote:
....it threw me for a loop because it turned my world of definitions upside down. When we got finished, Daito ryu seemed like what Aikido was supposed to be and Aikido seemed more like what everyone said Daito ryu was.
Don't ya hate it when that happens!?

Quote:
Another thing was that what we did seemed more like jujutsu because it involves minimal force while what he did required no strength at all.
I haven't had the pleasure of training with Kato, but I've felt similar subtlety with Saotome, Yamaguchi, Heiny, and others.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
Old 05-08-2005, 11:17 AM   #21
Don_Modesto

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote:
ok, lets talk about aiki
How different is Daito ryu aiki and Aikido aiki?
Now I remember where I've seen you!

You were that guy on my first job (bag-boy in high school) who told me to get a left-handed bag stretcher from the manager on my first day! Still at it, are you?!

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
Old 05-09-2005, 09:40 AM   #22
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Quote:
by the way, i just realized i've never heard of any orginizations for Daito Ryu, but Sensei recived his shodan and possibly nidan under Katsumi Yonezawa, a 7th Dan.
You may find it worth while to do some searches on the internet on the person that your teacher learned from. One example, from Stan Pranin's Encyclopedia (www.aikidojournal.com):

Quote:
(6 May 1937). B. Hokkaido. 7th dan Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu-Kodokai. Junior high school teacher. Fluent in English. First taught by Kodo HORIKAWA. Has traveled to the U. S. , Mexico and Canada teaching Daito-ryu since the early 1970s and is one of the main persons responsible for the dissemination of Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu Kodokai in North America. Yonezawa has awarded a considerable number of HIDEN MOKUROKU transmission scrolls to American students of Daito-ryu. Began a teaching sabbatical to West Germany in 1988. Mr. Katsumi Yonezawa, 2-35-16 Hakuchodai, Muroran, Hokkaido Japan (0143)59-5438, (01427)5-3277.

FWIW,
Ron

Last edited by Ron Tisdale : 05-09-2005 at 09:42 AM.

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 05-09-2005, 10:09 AM   #23
samurai_kenshin

Dojo: Aikido of San Leandro
United_States

I honestly wiouldn't quote myself on this, but the atemi i've seen in aikido are usually just there to distract your opponent, or keep one of his hands busy. They could be painful if intended to be such, but I don't think that's why they're there.

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.
-Barry LePatner
Old 05-09-2005, 11:49 AM   #24
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Check out my discussion on atemi in the June 2005 issue of Black Belt Magazine.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:11 PM   #25
NagaBaba

Quote:
Don J. Modesto wrote:
Now I remember where I've seen you!

You were that guy on my first job (bag-boy in high school) who told me to get a left-handed bag stretcher from the manager on my first day! Still at it, are you?!
Well, I do my best!

Coming back to aiki stuff. As in Daito ryu active resitance isn't permited, instructors can do really amazing things. In generally, their attackers are much less experienced. Those two factors combined, aiki miracles happend and we are not surprised at all.

Me, I can also do similar magic with students that have 15 years less experience then me. One day, when Stan will invite me to Aiki Expo, just like PeterR, you will see it with your own eyes

However, when the very same students start to resiste AND counter my every move, everything change, no magic is possible anymore.

I'm convinced, that similar situation will happend with Daito ryu aiki. In case when attacker will not be "sensitive enough" for aiki magic, he will get severly hit or broken by simple jujutsu technique.

So I don't see any difference between Daito ryu and aikido, really.

Nagababa