Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-17-2005, 03:51 PM   #1
AikiWeb System
Latest Issue of "Aikido East" Now Available

Posted 2005-05-17 15:50:45 by Jun Akiyama
News URL: http://www.aikidoeast.com/

The latest issue of Aikido East is now available on their website, http://www.aikidoeast.com/. This newsletter put out by USAF contains some great articles, photos, dojo spotlights, and information on USAF including a nice article on "Shihan" by Yamada sensei on the front page. Recommended reading!

Old 05-28-2005, 06:53 PM   #2
AsimHanif
Re: Latest Issue of "Aikido East" Now Available

I have read this article by Yamada Sensei and came away with it a little confused. Maybe someone here can help clarify somethings for me.
Although I know Shihan and Sensei can both be used for teacher in the general sense, I was under the impression that for the purposes of aikido, Shihan represented something akin to a regional supervisor or a master level instructor with certain responsibilities. If this is the case, why would there be a need to have so many people with the title of Shihan just in the USAF-ER? Also since Yamada Sensei promoted certain individuals to Shihan, can they now promote others up to say, 5th Dan and file their own paper work with Hombu Dojo?
Also I noticed that the rules for Shihan as referenced in the article do not lead to the IAF or Aikikai Foundation website. When I went to the Aikikai Foundation's website and read the rules they do not match the rules posted by Yamada Sensei. The rules posted on the Aikikai web site do not say anything about a 6 year wait period for Shihan after obtaining 6th Dan. Also the dates of the docs do not match. Revisions to the rules went into effect in Oct of 2000 not June of 2001 as noted on the Yamada Sensei doc.
So which doc is accurate? Has anyone else found inconsistencies in this article or am I missing something?
Thank you.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:43 AM   #3
AsimHanif

Well since this post has gotten quite a few views but no response, I'm not quite sure what to make of that.
Mr. Goldsbury, if you are out there could you please clarify these things for me? Thank you.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:22 AM   #4
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

Could this be a case of the vagueness of the East clashing with the need for absolute clarity written in triplicate of the West? Can we not accept purposeful flexibility?

Anyway, I can think of some organisations that have no shihan yet are recognised by Aikikai and are allowed to grade, albeit by inviting shihan in for rubber stamping grading day. It is only recently that their overseas numbers have been increasing. I suppose there will be a little restructuring in that respect in the future - who has the 'recognition' etc., and that might mean Japanese instructors might lose some importance. Shihan has been their monopoly, afterall.

Also, I don't think shihan has ever meant, as the original poster wrote, regional supervisor, although that is what in effect, he sometimes becomes.

Old 05-30-2005, 12:41 AM   #5
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

To Asim Hanif,

Here are a few comments on your post.

Quote:
Asim Hanif wrote:
IAlthough I know Shihan and Sensei can both be used for teacher in the general sense, I was under the impression that for the purposes of aikido, Shihan represented something akin to a regional supervisor or a master level instructor with certain responsibilities. If this is the case, why would there be a need to have so many people with the title of Shihan just in the USAF-ER? Also since Yamada Sensei promoted certain individuals to Shihan, can they now promote others up to say, 5th Dan and file their own paper work with Hombu Dojo?.
PAG. The Aikikai Regulations apply to organizations. The organization sends the paperwork to the Hombu Dojo. As for the number of shihan in the USAF-ER, I do not know. I am aware, however, that a lack of balance has been perceived at the large number of people with shihan rank in Japan and abroad.

Quote:
Asim Hanif wrote:
IAlso I noticed that the rules for Shihan as referenced in the article do not lead to the IAF or Aikikai Foundation website. When I went to the Aikikai Foundation's website and read the rules they do not match the rules posted by Yamada Sensei. The rules posted on the Aikikai web site do not say anything about a 6 year wait period for Shihan after obtaining 6th Dan. Also the dates of the docs do not match. Revisions to the rules went into effect in Oct of 2000 not June of 2001 as noted on the Yamada Sensei doc..
PAG. The rules for shihan are posted on the Japanese section of the Aikikai's website. There are ten articles, including the requirement that a prospective shihan should have six years of training and teaching after receiving 6th dan.

[quote=Asim Hanif]So which doc is accurate? Has anyone else found inconsistencies in this article or am I missing something?
QUOTE]

PAG. There are two documents: International Regulations and Regulations for Shihan Promotion.

Best regards,

P A Goldsbury
Old 05-30-2005, 12:51 AM   #6
AsimHanif

Thanks for your reply Rupert. I really appreciate it.
Vagueness aside, there are some very distinct differences in the documents (Rules) as I described above. My question specifically relates to why is Yamada Sensei stating Hombu dojo changed the wait period for Shihan when as best I can tell, that was never the case. Yamada Sensei cites references that do not exist. If I am wrong, I would like to be corrected. The article left me with the impression that Yamada Sensei was saying that Hombu Dojo put him in a bind so he couldn't promote people to Shihan earlier but since it was changed later, he could then comply.

Also, I am well aware that others besides Shihan can grade but can those yudansha recently promoted to Shihan in the USAF-ER "rubber stamp" as you say. That would imply they are of equal standing as their Japanese counterparts.
Lastly, I have always been told that Shihan had responsibility for overseeing a region or organization. Is this not correct?
Old 05-30-2005, 01:00 AM   #7
AsimHanif

Thanks Mr. Goldsbury.
I had the Japanese section translated by a very trusted source. To be sure, I will go over this again though.