Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
Dave Gallagher
Dojo: Shobukan Dojo, St.Louis
United_States
Training in a garage

I have read posts over the years on various forums about people not wanting to say that their dojo was in a garage. Here in St.Louis the old Shobukan dojo was a converted garage. But what a conversion it was. In 1994 I filmed one of our classes. We started at a local school district progran in the gym using the mats that the school had.
Our teacher Dave Lowry decided he wanted to get away from the high school gym and have a private, by invitation only dojo. Any serious person asking to join was always accepted but we did not advertise or promote the dojo. People came to us because they heard about Dave Lowry and sought him out.
I have posted things about how this garage belonging to a women who trained with us was transformed into a dojo by another member who was an awesome carpenter. I am posting a link to an excerpt from the video of the class. Just enough to show what the grounds and dojo were like.
If you watch the short excerpt you will see why I am proud to have trained in this garage with Dave Lowry my sempai.
The video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu-mv...ature=youtu.be

It is the duty of the strong to protect the weak.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
Adam Huss

United_States
Re: Training in a garage

That's great! My friend converted his three car garage into a dojo...that had to have been a hard choice because that space could have been an awesome work shop! Turned into a great dojo though.

I hope Mr. Lowry is doing well....are you still training at the dojo regularly?

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 09-06-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
Dave Gallagher
Dojo: Shobukan Dojo, St.Louis
United_States

Hi Adam, No, the lady member who owned the place moved after her husband died and at that time Lowry decided to stop teaching Aikido and devote himself to Shindo Muso Ryu Jodo and his sword art Yagu Shinkagi ryu. He does however still give seminars around the country on Aikido and various arts. He also sepends a great deal of time writing all those books.More are on the way.
After I left Aikido I returned to Shotokan karate. I am in the process of returning to Aikido but it will be at the St.Louis Aikikai.
I have been asked by a few people to re open the Shobukan dojo but I have been away from Aikido for a while and no suitable location could be found.

It is the duty of the strong to protect the weak.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:50 AM   #4
Adam Huss

United_States

Quote:
Dave Gallagher wrote: View Post
Hi Adam, No, the lady member who owned the place moved after her husband died and at that time Lowry decided to stop teaching Aikido and devote himself to Shindo Muso Ryu Jodo and his sword art Yagu Shinkagi ryu. He does however still give seminars around the country on Aikido and various arts. He also sepends a great deal of time writing all those books.More are on the way.
After I left Aikido I returned to Shotokan karate. I am in the process of returning to Aikido but it will be at the St.Louis Aikikai.
I have been asked by a few people to re open the Shobukan dojo but I have been away from Aikido for a while and no suitable location could be found.
Life certainly leads us down many interesting paths, best of luck!

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 09-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #5
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

Our dojo is a garage. We built it specifically for a dojo...we probably have the most beautiful garage in town.

Mary Eastland

Dare to Tenkan