Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-25-2007, 06:08 PM   #26
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Re: Aikido is a pair of ducks- tantric practices and aikido

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
Now that is what I call a cogent post.
Yeah.

I'm thinking a compendium with essays by Goldsbury, Ledyard, Little, and Li...

...dream on...

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 05-25-2007, 06:18 PM   #27
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

Quote:
William Hazen wrote: View Post
Just having fun. Fred Little put it best in terms of "seriousness" ... I am a long time practicioner (20 + years) of Soto Zen through ZCLA and inspired by Charlotte Joko Beck Roshi who while not a rigid "traditionalist" IME She has a solid foundation in Breath Practice (She is a Dharma Heir of Mazumi Roshi after all ) The cultivation of Prana through Aikido with Tantra refers to a seminar I went many years ago where this Groovey Proto Hippie Mushroom eating New Age Couple were trying to mix Aikido with "Pranic breath techniques" as she held herself up to be some kind of Martial Arts Tantric Deity. It was all there...Groovy Mood Music... Nag Champa Smells... Impossibly Tanned Super Blond Tantra Goddess with Groovy Pony Tailed Aikido Lover Sensei Lots of suggestions to open up your powerful Hara Kundalini Chakra with your breath...Oh man those were the days...Malibu... Santa Cruz... and Bolinas...all grooving towards the "source" Living in Malibu I have seen it all LOL Est...Esalen...Course in Miracles...SAI/SHRI BABA X&Y&Z "The Power of Now" Heck we still have a Guru whose acolytes bought him a mansion on top of a hill here. Dude even has his own helicopter pad.

On a side note Jennifer didn't you attend Shoji Nishio Shihan's Friendship Seminar at UC Santa Cruz back in the Summer of 99??? Forgive my memory (To many dings on the noggin from the odd surfboard). If so we may have practiced together.

William Hazen MPTSHLC.Esq
I must say,I Iaughed really loud while reading this post Ohhh, it hurts, quit it I had the distinct pleasure of watching a migration of above said' flock of guru's' ( say was that a band in the '80's) rolll through this once quaint surf town I live in. Are you sure you aren't some groovy proto hippie mushroom chompin' fool?Me neither.
Anyways, I learned a lot from Fred Little's post above.

About Nishio Sensei in '99. Oh, if only. I didn't include him in my practice that year. I was pretty entangled in the dojo where I was practicing and I can't say I took it upon myself to go. Too bad
Maybe we can train together in the future ( and maybe go surfing, too). Malibu is just a hop, skip and a jump from Santa Cruz. Or a really long paddle. Thanks for the post.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 05-25-2007, 09:23 PM   #28
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

Quote:
Jennifer Smith wrote: View Post
I must say,I Iaughed really loud while reading this post Ohhh, it hurts, quit it I had the distinct pleasure of watching a migration of above said' flock of guru's' ( say was that a band in the '80's) rolll through this once quaint surf town I live in. Are you sure you aren't some groovy proto hippie mushroom chompin' fool?Me neither.
Anyways, I learned a lot from Fred Little's post above.

About Nishio Sensei in '99. Oh, if only. I didn't include him in my practice that year. I was pretty entangled in the dojo where I was practicing and I can't say I took it upon myself to go. Too bad
Maybe we can train together in the future ( and maybe go surfing, too). Malibu is just a hop, skip and a jump from Santa Cruz. Or a really long paddle. Thanks for the post.
Cool Anytime...Got a couple of South Pulses headed our way. I love The Lane, Middles, Stockton Ave and everything in between. See you in the water or on the mat.

Namaste "Spiritual Warrioressness*"

William Hazen

*Apologies to Han Solo
Old 05-26-2007, 10:22 AM   #29
jennifer paige smith

Dojo: Confluence Aiki-Dojo / Santa Cruz Sword Club
United_States

It's the Wookie you gotta watch out for.

Jennifer Paige Smith
Confluence Aikido Systems
Old 05-29-2007, 09:43 AM   #30
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Ian Hurst wrote: View Post
A base canard?
Actually it equals nothing at all. I guess my reference was a little too obscure for most folks to recognize

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 05-29-2007, 10:09 AM   #31
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States

Hi Allen,

I have nothing of value here, except I have often been known to call budo practice "Safe Sex" for the same reasons that Nadeau used. I'm an aging Hippy Marine, but never a 'New Ager' (although I did live in Santa Fe and Taos). If we're talking about the NEW AGE that the Vedas speak of and we used to discuss at the Advaita Vedanta monastery when Christopher Ishwerwood was there in the early 60's, then I might also be that kind of new ager.

Mixing spirit/energy together while throwing each other around learning to not care who wins but really caring about taking part in juicy, good technique is another form of human communication that gets us to that place we look for...

Gambatte

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 05-29-2007, 01:35 PM   #32
Allen Beebe
United_States

Hi Chuck,

Quote:
Chuck Clark wrote: View Post
Mixing spirit/energy together while throwing each other around learning to not care who wins but really caring about taking part in juicy, good technique is another form of human communication that gets us to that place we look for...
Nicely put!

BTW, have you moved, are you settled in, and are you operational?

Allen
Old 05-29-2007, 02:29 PM   #33
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States

Quote:
Allen Beebe wrote: View Post
BTW, have you moved, are you settled in, and are you operational? Allen
Allen,

I haven't moved yet and it looks as though it may take a while longer, but it's still on the front burner... Poor budo teachers have a hard time with the housing market these days.

Take care,

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 05-29-2007, 02:57 PM   #34
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Quote:
a base canard?
ok, I can't help it...

Quote:
ca·nard /kəˈnɑrd; Fr. kaˈnar/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kuh-nahrd; Fr. ka-nar] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -nards /-ˈnɑrdz; Fr. -ˈnar/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[-nahrdz; Fr. -nar] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation. 1. a false or baseless, usually derogatory story, report, or rumor.
2. Cookery. a duck intended or used for food.
3. Aeronautics. a. an airplane that has its horizontal stabilizer and elevators located forward of the wing.
b. Also called canard wing. one of two small lifting wings located in front of the main wings.
c. an early airplane having a pusher engine with the rudder and elevator assembly in front of the wings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1840–50; < F: lit., duck; OF quanart drake, orig. cackler, equiv. to can(er) to cackle (of expressive orig.) + -art -art, as in mallart drake; see mallard]
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
Which would technically make a *base* canard a tautaulogy...ahem...

Best,
Ron
PS You do get some really interesting hits with that one, and yes, I did find the pun funny!

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)