Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
Rich Toshney
United Kingdom
Shoulder Injury/ Painful arc syndrome

Hi,

Just after some advice. I have just had an operation to treat painful arc syndrome on my shoulder (technically called a sub acromial decompression).

I have 6 to 9 months of physiotherapy ahead, but am wondering if anyone has returned to aikido after such an operation, and how they fared.

Many thanks.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
scott.swank
Dojo: Southern Nevada Aikikai
United_States
Re: Shoulder Injury/ Painful arc syndrome

I had a tendon separate entirely from the bone. It was re-attached via surgery.

I can only recommend keeping as much range of motion as your surgery will allow. I was completely immobile for seven weeks and it took months to regain the range of motion I lost over those seven weeks. I was also very happy that I got my physical therapy at a sports medicine clinic. They were much more aware of what it would take for me to get back to aikido, rather than just back to normal life.

Good luck!

Scott
Old 12-26-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Had a complete AC separation year and half ago and it took about 12 months to be completely where I didn't compensate for it. However, I can tell you no one is going ikkyo on it completely freely anymore through that wide open range of motion. I guard it carefully. Not sure what all physiologically is different between what I had and what you had done, but you can return to training I think, albeit you may have to impose some limits to prevent re-injury. Good luck!

Old 12-26-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
Rich Toshney
United Kingdom

Thanks guys,

There was reshaping of the underside of the acromion, the AC ligament was partially cut through (deliberate I add) and the distal end of the clavicle shaved.

So quite a bit of work done, but quite a bit can be achieved with the right physio from what has been said.
Hope yet that I can train again :-)
Old 12-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Sounds like you will be able to. I had a complete separation and severing of the AC ligaments...thus they are no longer there. I now have two wires drilled through my Clavical and Scalpula to hold it together. I don't let people yank on my arm like I used to, I am convinced that it will fail under extreme pressure like this. So, no Ikkyo from white belts or people I don't trust, and no Judo throws anymore!

However, no pain, full range of motion for me so much productive in Aikido I can do. Good luck!

Old 12-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Richard,

One tip I learned from a knee injury - take an aikido video to your physical therapy folks and let them see what you would like to return to doing. Most people have no idea of what we do or what is required of our bodies. Best wishes for a complete recovery.

Michael

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 12-27-2013, 06:32 AM   #7
lbb
United_States

What Michael said -- and this goes for pretty much any medical advice you might get. I've had the experience of medical professionals drastically revising their advice when they see (or hear an explicit description of) what my "activity" involves.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:07 PM   #8
Aiki-Doh-Ki
Dojo: Aikido Of Red Bank
United_States

I had rotator cuff surgery back in June. (full tear) I wasn't able to do any Aikido until December and my shoulder still has very limited motion in certain directions and can be painful at times. I always let my partner know about my bad shoulder so as not to reinjure it. Currently I am working on strengthening it and stretching it to regain a full range of motion.The doctor said it will take a full year for it to be back to 100%. In the mean time I am careful with it but I also feel it progressing day by day.
I have noticed that the weakness in my shoulder will quickly bring out any imperfection in my techniques because it won't allow me to muscle through the technique.