Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-18-2002, 10:19 AM   #51
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Whether you came to practice Aikido for the exercise, the martial arts, or just to be in a social situation .... trying to understand the driving forces within Aikido is the ability to come to terms with your own mind/life as well as get a handle on what goes on around you.

I have had a couple of years off to sit, to write, to think .... not everyone gets that chance, or knows what to do themselves given that opportunity.

What we have here is a failure to communicate ...

The information is coming into the brain, and we are discussing using our physical practice of bringing about harmony by using the interaction of physical force ... some interaction beyond what is needed driven by our own emotional engine?

Well, there are a variety of techniques for clearing the mind, finding balance, and understanding you must do what your true heart tells you while are accepting the consequences. Problem is .... working your job to make a living, practicing Aikido as a hobby, and trying to make sense out of the world using Aikido as a tool is not the only one way to get this balance.

I see we have veered from "Protection of Some", or "protection of all" into the wild regions of selfconsciousness, and understanding the human condition ... nearly bordering upon the spiritual?

Technique for handling the situation?

Interaction with your friends, family, even some strangers, and evaluate the information. Apply it. Sort out the problems in your mind, problems in your life ... in short ... get a grip, and move on.

Simple technique ..... dealing with one problem at a time, don't make more problems, and you did the best you could with what little brains you have, so move on.

'course the favorite saying of anyone that serves in the armed forces is "...kill 'em all and let God sort'em out" might apply to calming the immediate turmoil, but we are just kidding in the real sense of what to do ... we are kidding ... guys ... aren't we?

Oops?

I was kidding. They weren't.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:11 AM   #52
AikiRooster

United_States
Exclamation Difficult Question.

This question is definitely the kind worthy of sitting on the porcilien for.

In my humble opinion, I would say it means to neautralize a threat and make it come back into harmony with the least amount of force as is neccessary, and if during that time an injury occurs, it would be the aiki students responsibility to ensure the injured get medical treatment if need be. Yes, I think it is very appropriate for today's society. I also think it's probably easier on us in today's society to follow that path. Always, always always treat other's as you wish and i don't think you can go wrong.

For example, if you had a bad day and an 80 yr old lady had to give you noogies for bein a butthead, wouldn't you appreciate it if she took care of you afterwards?

Some folks are truly alive only because it's against the law to kill them. . .