Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-13-2002, 08:31 AM   #1
SteveJ
Lightbulb May be you might be interested in.....

... The thread entitled 'Controversy' over at http://www.aikido-database.co.uk

It might be worth you commenting as it relates to the history of British aikido, in addition to the thread there is an article written by Henry Ellis ' British Aikido - The Controversy' posted on the site's Articles section.. It's worth reading before comment on the forum..

Steve

Sorry I forgot to add..

I feel very strongly on the issuse raised within the forum and article mentioned above. It directly concerns British Aikidoka although has an indirect impact upon worldwide Aikido given the ease at which this information is transmitted over the internet. I know this forum and the site around it is considered by many as one of the primary sources of worldwide Aikido, I post the information above to bring to your attention the debate currently growing.

Steve

Last edited by SteveJ : 01-13-2002 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-13-2002, 08:42 PM   #2
David Humm
United Kingdom
Ki Symbol

I felt I needed to post a quick responce to Steve Jenkins's message..

As the administrator for the website mentioned in Mr. Jenkins's post, I would like to ask (respectfully), for a degree of objectivity on the part of any Aikidoist who may wish to express an opinion.

The matter directly concerns the history of British Aikido. Whilst the subject ' Controversy' may swell concerns in any aikidoist, I would prefer the debate does not degenerate into a 'flame war' of contra opinion (most of which has already been expressed to the point of over-kill)

Thank you for your time reading this post

Kind regards

Dave Humm
National Aikido Communication Database
Old 01-14-2002, 07:57 PM   #3
Brian Crowley
Does this really have any bearing on the history of Aikido in the UK ? From the article, Mr. Poole claims his early training was in France. To me, that pretty much ends the, "we are doing this for the integrity of the history of UK aikido" argument. Instead, Mr. Ellis argues that Mr. Poole is a liar because he did not show up at his dojo in the UK with 16 years of experience.

Therefore, the attack looks very personal and pointless to me. This would not be half so bad if it were not done under the pretense that there are noble reasons for the inquiry. I think that Mr. Ellis, and similar crusaders, should find more productive uses for their time. Sometimes even if you win, you lose.

Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents since I took the time to read this stuff.

Brian Crowley
Old 01-15-2002, 02:39 AM   #4
Kami
Dojo: ShinToKai DoJo of AiKiDo
Unhappy Re: May be you might be interested in.....

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveJ

It might be worth you commenting as it relates to the history of British aikido, in addition to the thread there is an article written by Henry Ellis ' British Aikido - The Controversy' posted on the site's Articles section.. It's worth reading before comment on the forum..
I feel very strongly on the issuse raised within the forum and article mentioned above. It directly concerns British Aikidoka although has an indirect impact upon worldwide Aikido given the ease at which this information is transmitted over the internet. I know this forum and the site around it is considered by many as one of the primary sources of worldwide Aikido, I post the information above to bring to your attention the debate currently growing.
Steve
KAMI : what can I say? I honestly feel very bad when I hear debate on Aikido about "who's oldest", "who's most competent", "who's an important part of British Aikido history"...
Mr. Ellis may be right, Mr. Poole may not have the time he pretended for himself, but all this discussion seems to be about "my territory", if you know what I mean.
I feel sad it has come to that but perhaps when it comes to organizations this always happens...
IMO

"We are all teachers, and what we teach is what we need to learn, and so we teach it over and over again until we learn it".
Unknown author

Ubaldo Alcantara
Old 01-15-2002, 05:53 AM   #5
David Humm
United Kingdom
Thumbs down Thank you

I reply to the two gentlemen who have taken their time to post their comments to the 'controversy' debate.

Many thanks for your time, I have taken the liberty of pasting your posts on to the NACD forum as I believe you raise interesting and very valid points which to date, have yet to be expressed.

Dave Humm
Old 01-15-2002, 08:50 AM   #6
jaemin
Dojo: Korea Aikikai Honbu Dojo
Re: Thank you

Btw, one of my teachers told me about
'Kyushindo' made by Abe sensei. And I
read a judo book in which 'kyushindo'
is mentioned. Do you know more about it?

Jaemin

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Humm
I reply to the two gentlemen who have taken their time to post their comments to the 'controversy' debate.

Many thanks for your time, I have taken the liberty of pasting your posts on to the NACD forum as I believe you raise interesting and very valid points which to date, have yet to be expressed.

Dave Humm
Old 01-15-2002, 06:46 PM   #7
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo
Kyushindo

Quote:
Originally posted by jaemin
Btw, one of my teachers told me about
'Kyushindo' made by Abe sensei. And I
read a judo book in which 'kyushindo'
is mentioned. Do you know more about it?
Hi Jaemin,

If you go to www.google.com and put 'Kyushindo' or 'Kenshiro Abbe' in as key words you'll find there is quite a lot about him on the web.

Mr Abbe came to London in 1955 to teach judo, which was the only Japanese martial art in Britain at the time. He's well known as the first person to teach aikido in this country, but he was also the first to teach karate, kendo and kyudo here.

Abbe sensei founded the British Judo Council and when I joined the judo club at my school, I was given a little booklet explaining the BJC grading syllabus. It was written by Masutaro Otani, then the president of the BJC, and printed in 1972. I still have that little booklet, so if you like I'll quote the passage that particularly concentrates on Kyushindo. Its a little flowery for my tastes these days, but very interesting nevertheless. (If only because it shows that aikido is not the only martial art ever to wax philosophical.):

"Kyu-shin-do in the understanding gained through knowledge and experience of the principles of the universe and the application of this understanding, through our judo, to our own lives.

The principles of the universe are expressed in the three precepts of kyu-shin-do as follows:-

1. All things throughout the universe are in a constant state of motion. (Banbutsu-buten)

2. This motion is rythmic and flowing. (Rutsu do)

3. All things work and flow in perfect harmony and accord. (Chowa)

The universe revolves and therefore always keeps perfect balance. All motion in the universe may be resolved, basically to a series of circular movements. It is only by applying this fundamental principle of motion and avoiding stiff angular stances that we can achieve the best judo.

The first step in Kyu-shin-do is to be in harmony with one's fellow men, be they parents, colleagues or neighbours.

The ultimate aim of Kyu-shin-do is the achievement of permanent peace and happiness for the human race. This can only be done through the cultivation of an understanding mind and reaching towards the highest ideals.

To learn and perform good techniques is not the only aim of judo. Judo is a way towards universal understanding and is just one of the many roads which could lead to world peace and universal happiness. The way of judo is not only realisation of ones aim in life but gives the training and discipline necessary to strive to make an effort in peace and unity.

Kyu-Shin-Do starts from relaxed posture, namely the perfect relaxation of mind and body. The actions of Kyu-shin-do are gentle movements, soft, quick and safe. These movements spring from a relaxed mind and body, which helps to build up strength and purpose. The accumulation of effort is a steady circular movement about the centre of gravity and radius."

Sean
x