Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-23-2003, 10:03 PM   #1
Chocolateuke
Dojo: Muhu Dojo
Location: Middle of nowhere in California 14 miles from Buellton
Train In Aikido while you SLEEP!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=36281

whata think? me personally, I Dont know, could be true, but then again..

Dallas Adolphsen
Old 09-23-2003, 10:12 PM   #2
Clayton Kale
Dojo: Nihon Goshin Aikido Academy
If you believe that, I've got a bridge I can sell you!

There are no easy answers unless the answer is "train hard."

"Pefect practice makes perfect." -Steven A. Weber Godan Nihon Goshin Aikido

Old 09-24-2003, 04:34 AM   #3
bca333
Dojo: Nashville Aikikai
I have to agree with Clayton. There are all kinds of "easy routes" to success in any endeavor available to the consumer. But they all beg the question "Why isn't everyone doing it?". Have you ever heard Bill Gates say that he learned business in his sleep? Has F. Lee Bailey ever said that he was hypnotized into becoming a great trial lawyer? Would you feel comfortable having surgery performed on you by someone who graduated from subliminal medical school?

Having an open mind is a wonderful thing, and I am a firm believer in trying to maintain our child-like curiosity throughout life. However, if something seems to be too easy, then it's probably not real. Life is struggle, but that's part of the joy and sense of accomplishment.

I think it was Jefferson who said "I am a firm believer in luck; he who works the hardest has the most luck".

Regards, Brad
Old 09-24-2003, 06:15 AM   #4
Tim Griffiths
Dojo: Nes Ziona Aikikai
China
Of course I train in aikido while I sleep -

If I didn't know aikido, those giant pink lobsters would have thrown me into the bubble bath by now. Lucky for me that sankyo works so well on crustaceans.

Even more amazing is that you can take a couple of Valium before class, and then you can sleep while you train!

Tim

If one makes a distinction between the dojo and the battlefield, or being in your bedroom or in public, then when the time comes there will be no opportunity to make amends. (Hagakure)
Old 09-24-2003, 01:03 PM   #5
SeiserL

United_States
There is some minimal research supporting the use of subliminal messages to overcome the internal dialogues.

IMHO, better results can be obtained by utilizing the conscious and the conscious mind to overcome blocks to learning and mental reharsal.

It is never meant to replace the sweat and repetition of actual physical practice. Mental training only supplements and supports intelligent physical training.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 09-25-2003, 08:42 AM   #6
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Very amusing.

If aikido is to be any use it must be trained within the nervous system and not within the mind. Knowing what to do and doing it are too entirely different things. If these tapes help at all they would only help with the knowing part. Alternatively it could be a general 'inspirational' thing, though I would still doubt it.

Besides this, I would suggest it goes against the philosophy of aikido; when we do aikido, we do aikido; when we sleep, we sleep.

Ian

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 09-25-2003, 10:52 AM   #7
kensparrow
Dojo: Methuen Aikido
Quote:
Ian Dodkins (ian) wrote:
Very amusing.

If aikido is to be any use it must be trained within the nervous system and not within the mind. Knowing what to do and doing it are too entirely different things. If these tapes help at all they would only help with the knowing part. Alternatively it could be a general 'inspirational' thing, though I would still doubt it.

Besides this, I would suggest it goes against the philosophy of aikido; when we do aikido, we do aikido; when we sleep, we sleep.

Ian
I'm not saying I buy into the whole subliminal thing but in reply to Ian:

a) The mind/brain is a huge part of the nervous system.

b) Studies have shown that the most rapid improvement in physical tasks occurs when a combination of physical repetition and mental visualization are used. I believe the study I read found that physical repetition alone was better than visualization alone, but not nearly as good as the two together.

This reminds me of a thread about Aikido and hypnosis.
Old 09-25-2003, 01:45 PM   #8
bca333
Dojo: Nashville Aikikai
Putting my semi-snooty response aside, Ken's post reminded me of a study I have read, also. I don't remember any specifics as far as who did the experiment, but it used basketball free throws. Three groups of people were given one week to practice free throws; one group did nothing, one group physically practiced, and one spent the week visualizing successful shots. The physical practice group performed the best, but the visualization group performed measurably better than the nothing group. Details may be fuzzy, but that was the jist of it.

I have since visualized a Jaguar in my driveway, but so far it's still just a Jeep.

Brad
Old 09-25-2003, 03:16 PM   #9
jducusin

Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai (formerly the North Winnipeg Aikikai)
Canada
Talking Ukemi Nightmare

Hehehe --- funny, just recently one of my Sempais told me he had a nightmare about doing ushiro ukemi over, and over, and over...does that count?
Old 09-25-2003, 09:09 PM   #10
formerjarhead
Dojo: Okinawa Yoshinkan
If this were only true! Take a month vaction and sleep your way to your black belt !!!! Not only in Aikido but Judo, Karate, and more. I wonder if they have package deals?

I like the way the ad starts with "I" and ends with "we" but no real names are ever mentioned.

Remember the old quote: "There's a sucker born every minute."