Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-28-2007, 12:45 AM   #1
Erik Jögimar
Dojo: Linköping Budo club
Sweden
Dreams

So, how many around these parts of the woods have the aikido dreams?

I started having mine after the first class, and they still come nightly after two months

Just give me your wrist!
Old 10-28-2007, 05:56 AM   #2
Nikopol
Re: Dreams

Quote:
Erik Jögimar wrote: View Post
So, how many around these parts of the woods have the aikido dreams?

I started having mine after the first class, and they still come nightly after two months
Hmm.. as I just happened to have some Aikido content in two dreams the night before last...

But it is the first time that I can recall...

In one I received a telephone call in which someone was asking me to take a train to Nagoya to teach English. I didn't want to go, but I spent some time talking to him about it. As I walked down the road speaking on my mobile phone, I came to a place where he and some students were congregated.. there was a pool and picnic tables.. it was more a barbecue party than an English school. (By the way I am not an English teacher.)

I was introduced to some people there, and while shaking hands with one guy I sort of playfully swept his arm up as if to Ikkyo, but he stumbled and everyone seemed alarmed. It seems he had a crippled leg, and I felt very sheepish.

Then I had another dream. I had stopped at a friends cafe on my way to Aikido, and three people I knew came in in Karate gi. When they realized I was wearing a dogi they found the coincidence hilarious. We all went to the station but but suddenly I woke up at home. What had happened? Did I get sick and go home? Did I get injured? Had I ever gotten to the dojo? And what about my son, who also would have been at the dojo? I was going to rush to meet him at the station, when I woke up and realized with relief that it had been a dream. I had drunk some champagne the night before. Not sure if this is relevant!
Old 10-28-2007, 11:43 PM   #3
nagoyajoe

Dojo: Kokikai Hombu Shushinkan Dojo, Nagoya
Japan

Quote:
Vincent Nikopol wrote: View Post

In one I received a telephone call in which someone was asking me to take a train to Nagoya to teach English. I didn't want to go, but I spent some time talking to him about it.
Why would you not want to come to Nagoya? Nagoya rocks!!! As for me, no aikido dreams.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:44 AM   #4
John Bernhard
Dojo: Aikido of East Alabama
United_States

Heck yeah and they are all so very frustrating. Can't get the freaking principle in class then I go home and dream about it. Talk about a double whammy !!!!!
Old 11-13-2007, 07:05 PM   #5
JW

I have them too! But not very often. Funny thing, before I started aikido (and after) I would once in a while have a dream where I get into a fight. Kicking and punching is extremely hard in my dreams, like I am engulfed in setting cement. The faster I try to strike, the more resistance I feel. Punches would land like a feather on the other guy.... but when I do aikido in a dream, it works like a charm, even if done fast! I think it's the mindset not the technique.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:19 AM   #6
shadowedge

Dojo: Sensei Aikido Dojo / Marikina Metro Manila
Philippines

Since I began taking Aikido about 6 years ago I've had less nightmares involving combative and safety situations. I could safely say that I have aikido incorporated into my dreams every now and then.

I'm also a tarot reader, so I have been partially trained to understand the subconcious. These are some of the things I've learned about dreams and aikido over the years:

Basically, the stronger your inclination to the art, the more likely it will manifest in your subconcious.

If most principles we learn in Aikido get fused into our souls, then we are more likey to be braver in our dreams.

The stronger your love for the art, the more often you dream about it.

Some of our negative inclinations sometimes manifest into agressive applications of the art (Satsu Jin Ken)

These are personal experiences anyway, Im sure each of us has a different take on this.

Serious Jibberish noh?
Old 11-14-2007, 02:23 AM   #7
Jory Boling

Dojo: A.K.I.,Misakikai Dojo
United_States

i had a dream about a year ago that Osensei slid a hakama across the tatami to me. so far it hasn't happened!
Old 11-14-2007, 03:48 AM   #8
Erik Jögimar
Dojo: Linköping Budo club
Sweden

Quote:
John Bernhard wrote: View Post
Heck yeah and they are all so very frustrating. Can't get the freaking principle in class then I go home and dream about it. Talk about a double whammy !!!!!
*grins*

I've been practicing for almost three months, and our first grading is coming up december 1st-2nd. Some things are so infuriatingly frustrating to get right, but things seem to fall into place sooner or later.

Just give me your wrist!
Old 11-14-2007, 02:03 PM   #9
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

Quote:
Jory Boling wrote: View Post
i had a dream about a year ago that Osensei slid a hakama across the tatami to me. so far it hasn't happened!
What!! Well just where did all these big-a$$ britches come from then?!

(I had to sneak off and buy mine, you know.....oh the shame)

Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 11-15-2007, 10:50 AM   #10
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

Funny, but I dreamed for a fair portion of last night about doing Eskrima with whatever sticks I could scrounge up ...
Wonder where that came from, since I have never had chance to do that art.
Had fun though......in my dream, weird.
Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 11-15-2007, 02:53 PM   #11
Conrad Gus

Dojo: Eclipse Budo
Canada

Rene,

I find your perspective fascinating! My experience was that after being assaulted three times in one year (one incident involving a flash mobbing of me and a friend) I started having recurring nightmares about getting beat up. It became so bad that I decided to start . . . aikido!

After a couple of years I found that the dreams calmed down and I was usually able to keep myself safe in the dream. 12 years later, I still have these dreams once in a while but I always wake up with a smile on my face after having successfully and easily handled multiple large attackers. I can't remember any dreams about aggressive application of aikido.

I never thought to attach very much significance to this, but then I am pretty much ignorant of any tarot stuff or deep trans-personal psychology and whatnot.

How would you analyze my situation?

Conrad

Quote:
Rene Vencer, Jr wrote: View Post
Since I began taking Aikido about 6 years ago I've had less nightmares involving combative and safety situations. I could safely say that I have aikido incorporated into my dreams every now and then.

I'm also a tarot reader, so I have been partially trained to understand the subconcious. These are some of the things I've learned about dreams and aikido over the years:

Basically, the stronger your inclination to the art, the more likely it will manifest in your subconcious.

If most principles we learn in Aikido get fused into our souls, then we are more likey to be braver in our dreams.

The stronger your love for the art, the more often you dream about it.

Some of our negative inclinations sometimes manifest into agressive applications of the art (Satsu Jin Ken)

These are personal experiences anyway, Im sure each of us has a different take on this.

Serious Jibberish noh?
Old 11-16-2007, 06:05 PM   #12
roadster
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Barbara
United_States

There are times where Aikido makes it into all of my dreams for weeks. Usually when I am studying a specific technique for days on end.

Recently, I left the TV on while asleep and in my dream I was trying to teach Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs Shomenuchi Iriminage. He wasn't being very cooperative mostly due to his sarcastic personality. As you might have guessed, I woke up and Dirty Jobs was on the TV.

Most of my dreams involving Aikido have to do with mind expansion. You know, that feeling that you get when you have seen something done a million times, you can do it yourself, but one day it clicks in your head and you finally get it. Clearity of vision.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:01 AM   #13
jason jordan

Dojo: Dallas Aikikai/ Southlake Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Erik Jacobson wrote: View Post
There are times where Aikido makes it into all of my dreams for weeks. Usually when I am studying a specific technique for days on end.

Recently, I left the TV on while asleep and in my dream I was trying to teach Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs Shomenuchi Iriminage. He wasn't being very cooperative mostly due to his sarcastic personality. As you might have guessed, I woke up and Dirty Jobs was on the TV.

Most of my dreams involving Aikido have to do with mind expansion. You know, that feeling that you get when you have seen something done a million times, you can do it yourself, but one day it clicks in your head and you finally get it. Clearity of vision.
Interesting thread. I have the aikido dreams now and then, not as much now as I did when I first started.

But I like what Erick just said. when my first sensei left the dojo, he left me and another gentleman (both 3rd kyu at the time) in charge. I would actually dream about different techniques and understand them....(To a certain level) enough to make them work. And even now I notice that when I am progressing or at least ready to progress in my training, I dream or see it in my minds eye first.

I believe the "Dreaming" stage of learning aikido is very important. To me it means that Aikido is becoming apart of your mentallity and therefore becoming you.

Whoa WAY TOO DEEP I know!!!!