Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-17-2006, 12:30 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Poll: How often do you actively slap the ground with your arms/hands when you fall during aikido training?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of December 17, 2006:

How often do you actively slap the ground with your arms/hands when you fall during aikido training?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Always
  • Often
  • Sometimes
  • Seldom
  • Never
Here are the current results.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:25 AM   #2
MikeLogan

United_States
Re: Poll: How often do you actively slap the ground with your arms/hands when you fall during aikido training?

Nice, a Troll Poll!
Old 12-17-2006, 12:36 PM   #3
Tharis
Dojo: Chicago Aikikai
United_States
Re: Poll: How often do you actively slap the ground with your arms/hands when you fal

Quote:
Mike Logan wrote:
Nice, a Troll Poll!
A Troll Poll?
Old 12-17-2006, 07:04 PM   #4
sullivanw
Dojo: Portland Aikikai
United_States
Re: Poll: How often do you actively slap the ground with your arms/hands when you fal

Quote:
Thomas Harris wrote:
A Troll Poll?
Yes, a staff covered with pitch or other flammable resin that is set on fire so that the nasty creature can't regenerate its wounds when you battle it... oh, wrong reality!

So, on topic:

I voted often, although I don't know if it's actively. I really don't try to add to the energy, but to dissipate it through, um, relaxed participation?? Don't really know the words, but I assume that everyone understands the meaning.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:39 PM   #5
Eric Webber
Dojo: Aikido West Reading
United_States
Re: Poll: How often do you actively slap the ground with your arms/hands when you fall during aikido training?

There is actually a formula to figure out the amount of energy dispersed through slapping the mat during a break fall (theoretically; I believe it would have to take place in a vacuum for formula to be perfectly accurate, but it can get you pretty close in real life as well). We had a student training with us who has a degree in kinesiology, he wrote it on the announcement board in the dojo, unfortunately it got erased.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:32 AM   #6
pezalinski

Dojo: Aikido of Harvard (IL)
United_States

I voted "often," through honesty if not by design. I'm really trying to get quieter!

"Loud ukemi "something I am trying to get away from, with limited success... I've noticed that the more advanced aikidoka that I admire are much quieter in their ukemi, even hard-and-fast ukemi... The shihani I've seen taking falls are generally very, very quite - just the sound of the hakama swooshing across the mat (very awe inspiring).

There's apparently some kind of an inverse relationship between ukemi-loudness and rank that I have noted but not been able to absorb the fine points of "how," yet...

A little danger is a knowledge thing...

"Helping the planet make an impact on people, since 1985"
Old 12-18-2006, 11:48 AM   #7
Karen Wolek
Dojo: Kingston Aikido
United_States

I voted "often" but like Peter, I am trying to be softer and quieter. I watch my teachers and I hear just a swoosh. I'm getting ready for 1st kyu, so my sensei is trying to get me to be softer. As nage, too. Recently in freestyle class, he told the group of uke to attack (me) hard, but nage (me) was to be soft. Oh boy. That was not easy......

Karen
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." - Master Yoda
Old 12-18-2006, 03:21 PM   #8
statisticool
United_States

Secrets of Judo, from 1959, has a nice explanation on it. This might be the resource that someone was referring to about a formula (they have one in the book).

Most of the arguments I've heard against slapping is that in real life someone's hand got injured when they did it. Well, what if they didn't slap? I'd much rather have my hand broken than my head or vital organs damaged.

Having the hands and arms out and ready, instead of one behind the head, also makes it easier to block/attack in real life if someone decides to attack you after you fall. If you fall but have one hand behind your head and I jump on you, I don't think your hand behind your head will do you much good.

A secret of internal strength?:
"Let your weight from the crotch area BE in his hands."
Old 12-18-2006, 04:18 PM   #9
billybob

Dojo: Academy of Warrior Spirit
United_States

I voted often.

I expressed my opinion on this topic so vociferously and contentiously in the thread by this title that I think some feel I was being a jerk. So be it!

dave
Old 12-19-2006, 12:54 AM   #10
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

I voted always.

Since, when I break fall, I always slap. The exception to this rule is falling on stairs and similar things. Break-falling on pavement, road or non rocky ground is not part of this exception.

Since when I started practicing I was a total un-coordinated person, I had lots of opportunities to test these rules, and found them to be very efficient, I was never more then slightly bruised due to falling, including multiple falls on hard surfaces.

If one can roll, then slapping is normally avoided.

The most important thing about rules is understanding their origin and reasoning, and being cool enough to realize how you should react according to the circumstances rather then just following the rule

Amir
Old 12-19-2006, 11:00 AM   #11
Darren
United Kingdom

Slapping the mat is the wrong way of putting it I feel. To do soft ukemi I would tell students to extend and reach for the mat not slap it . If you tell someone to slap something they will move there arm forward and backward. It's not about doing nice rolls at all , it's all about extending the whole body and arm to dissipitate the energy of the throw. Try and do a nice ROLL out of a good kotegaeshi and if you can then you are doing your own thing and your not connected to shite. I voted often but I should have voted always, as good ukemi is the the best way for shite to learn the lines to do good technic. Job jobed I feel.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:36 AM   #12
billybob

United_States

Everyone already knows what I'm saying, but I think one learns various ukemi. Then, when things are hot and heavy you don't have time to think about which fall to take. You take one - and most times our instincts are right on and we don't get hurt. I like falls where I have no choice but to go (well, or choose to fight and get hurt) then I think about energy running out the bottoms of my feet, and no matter how hard I fall, if my joints are clear, hitting the mat is displaced out my elongated body. If you are not being held by uke - all the wonders of soft ukemi become more available.

Doug (the cat) used to roll out of throws that put him high enough in the air you could shikko under him (if you were really really fast!) Of course, the mats at the university SUCK.

dave
Old 12-20-2006, 05:10 AM   #13
billybob

United_States

I should add that the best ukemi I had in the past two years was from a diminutive rokkyudan - who had me falling before i realized it. I perceived I had 'no feet', and did my best from there. I think this is the zenith of aikido.

He asked why I was laughing so hard when I got up, and I explained that it felt wonderful to be so fooled.

dave