Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #101
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: ki testing...emphasis on both uke and nage getting stronger

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
People rarely speak the whole truth about themselves, especially in Japan. Anyway, there are plenty of concrete examples where the truth has been "shaded".

After all, his own nephew broke off relations because he didn't consider him to be honorable, no matter what he said about himself.

Best,

Chris
People rarely speak the whole truth about themselves especially in Japan??????? Wow!

I need say no more, more bu needed so you can better your bun perhaps.

Peace.G.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #102
graham christian
England

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
And Inue told people why too. Careful, Chris. You're going to ruin the Jackie Chan, Mr. M!iyagi, Ghandi, vision of Ueshiba certain people have!!
"He traveled to many dojo to learn...and partake and where he could learn he did without a word, uplifting them...where could not....he left only his shadow as a blessing...a whisper heard in the night.....Ueshiba.....shhhh!!
At one famous temple he left a single pebble, snatched from a hand....
Dan
What he said about him and another said about another. Worthless gossip and natter. Unbudo.

Peace.G.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #103
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Ha, ha. Now his Nephew is the 'right' one. Please.......His nephew was also quite a great charachter and co-founder of Aikido.

I think you twist it once again to suit. They had a personal disagreement. Because he didn't consider him to be honourable....ha, ha, good joke.

He certainly didn't find someone to be honourable and we all know who that is.

Peace.G.
I never said he was right, it's more complex than that - but every argument has two sides and Ueshiba wasn't always on the right one.

Best,

Chris

Old 08-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #104
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
People rarely speak the whole truth about themselves especially in Japan??????? Wow!

I need say no more, more bu needed so you can better your bun perhaps.

Peace.G.
Sure, it's so ingrained in the culture that they have specific words for the concept.

Best,

Chris

Old 08-15-2012, 07:50 PM   #105
graham christian
England

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
Sure, it's so ingrained in the culture that they have specific words for the concept.

Best,

Chris
Every culture has words for it. Anyway I'm ending this discussion here as it leads nowhere.

Ki testing is the subject.

Peace.G.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #106
Basia Halliop
Canada

Quote:
During practice of anything a person fails many times, that's why it's called practice.

You don't need to test to it then do you? It's already built in and acknowledged by the understanding of what practice is.
Ah, I see! It seems we're simply thinking of different things when we say 'testing'. I was thinking of the many tiny moments that happen all the time in practice, when we repeatedly try an exercise or technique many times, sometimes successfully and sometimes not... I'm also thinking of situations where I, for example, deliberately make _myself_ fail in a specific task in some exercise or technique, as a little experiment to see what works or doesn't.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:55 PM   #107
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
Every culture has words for it. Anyway I'm ending this discussion here as it leads nowhere.

Ki testing is the subject.

Peace.G.
But not all cultures are the same or place the same emphasis on certain cultural conventions, and Japan is well known in this area. Anyway, I agree that it has little to do with the subject.

Best,

Chris

Old 08-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #108
Basia Halliop
Canada

Quote:
There are those who encourage others and flow from the view of "you can" then there are those who are out to prove "you can't" and enjoy failure.

I've met many who were tested to failure and gave up. Bad teaching.
While this is a very real possibility and something to beware of, I can also think of many very positive interactions I had where I did not always 'succeed'. The tone of the interactions I'm thinking of was not negative or competitive and I had no sense that my partner was trying to prove I couldn't do it or show off that they were better than me (and I've definitely had those interactions too so I can feel the difference!)

It felt much more like a brainstorming session. We would end up identifying weaknesses in what one or both of us were doing and often then collaborating to come up with ideas to improve the weaknesses, or if we couldn't come up with one at the moment, mulling it over later or asking Sensei about it at a later time. For me when it does work well it's more exciting or intriguing than particularly demoralizing...

Old 08-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #109
graham christian
England

Quote:
Basia Halliop wrote: View Post
While this is a very real possibility and something to beware of, I can also think of many very positive interactions I had where I did not always 'succeed'. The tone of the interactions I'm thinking of was not negative or competitive and I had no sense that my partner was trying to prove I couldn't do it or show off that they were better than me (and I've definitely had those interactions too so I can feel the difference!)

It felt much more like a brainstorming session. We would end up identifying weaknesses in what one or both of us were doing and often then collaborating to come up with ideas to improve the weaknesses, or if we couldn't come up with one at the moment, mulling it over later or asking Sensei about it at a later time. For me when it does work well it's more exciting or intriguing than particularly demoralizing...
I like it and agree 100% Basia. In fact more than that 1000% ha, ha. My favourite way of practice.

Peace.G.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #110
akiy

Despite my asking for an improvement in tone here in this thread, it doesn't seem like the tone has improved any.

Thread closed.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!

Closed Thread