Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
lbb
United_States
Thoughts on summer training

It is wicked hot in Massachusetts today, and tonight I'll be going to the dojo. I'll be doing it all summer long. Some people take the summer off -- they spend part of it vacationing elsewhere, or their schedule gets disrupted by other things, they get out of the routine, and they stop coming. But I've always enjoyed training during the summer. I like the adversity of the heat, the quiet time without a lot of other events going on. Summer camp is over, there probably won't be any tests until sometime in the fall, and I'm looking forward to a long stretch of time to just train. In the fall, the people who took the summer off will come back, and I'll be glad (again) that I didn't take time off.

What about you? Do you like training in the summer? Hate it? Endure it? Do you feel like you make more progress, less progress, what?
Old 06-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
Janet Rosen

Re: Thoughts on summer training

It gets 95-105 a fair number of days here, but it is dry, which helps, and our dojo has a good swamp cooler, which really helps...but the main thing for me is it gives a great excuse to slow down, slow down, refine things....

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 06-21-2012, 10:55 AM   #3
JO
Dojo: Aikikai de l'Université Laval
Canada

I never stop my training if I can help it. I just wish more people showed up in the summer. Our main problem isn't the heat, it's that few people want to go into the basement of the sports complex on a nice summer day and most of our students are university students that take off for the summer.

Jonathan Olson
Old 06-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
chillzATL
United_States

I don't mind it. I like working outside and getting a good sweat going. In our org, anyone who gets promoted to shodan has to deal with it. Shodan and up advancements only happen at gasshuku which takes place at a rustic campground in the mountains of Sc. Cabins with gaps under the door large enough for a possum to get through, plate sized spiders, 6+ hours of training per day, 100+ temps in the dojo, testing and no a/c, anywhere, for seven days. Fun times!
Old 06-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
Dave Gallagher
Dojo: Shobukan Dojo, St.Louis
United_States

In the mid 1970's I trained in JKA Shotokan Karate. The summers here in St.Louis can have weeks on end of temps in the 95+ range. The dojo windows would not open and only a front and back door to open during class. A couple of those small square fans moved a bit of air. We trained three days a week and it all seemed normal to us. After Saturday class at noon we would go across the street to Lavin's Irish pub and drink beer all afternoon. No one ever got up to use the restroom. Our bodies seemed to absorb it all to replace what we lost in class.
When I began Aikido in the 90's the old Shobukan dojo with Dave Lowry teaching, was in a converted two car carrage house and only a side door to open. No air to circulate and it remains in my mind as the best Aikido dojo ever. The heat of summer or the cold of winter seem natural to me.
As I prepare to return to aikido training I expect it to be hot in the Aikikai dojo. At the age of 62 I may slow down but not complain. I've been through it before.

It is the duty of the strong to protect the weak.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #6
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

I Ilke to train in the heat but as I get older I have to be more careful. I need to drink enough water and rest before I feel exhausted.

Mary Eastland

Dare to Tenkan
Old 06-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark

Weather will seldom keep us from training around these parts, so we keep it up all around the year. I have to talk the odd week off now and then - like for going away on holiday - but if I get a chance I make it so that I can go teach. If not - I'll try and find a stand-in, or I suggest my students should practice on their own. Aikido is never out of season

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 06-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

I never miss a class... ever.

Fortunately our dojo is air conditioned. If it were not, I still would not miss a class.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #9
Rob Watson
United_States

Morning class (before the sun gets things too hot) is great. Fortunately 'round these parts summer is quite mild - 65F today with fog bank and forecast for even lower temps the next couple of days.

Y'all are crazy to live in places where it gets hot enough to kill you ...

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
Dave Gallagher
United_States

In my post above I used the term "Aikikai dojo" I meant Aikido dojo. Sorry, my mind is not as good as it used to be and also my mind is not as good as it used to be.lol

Old 06-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #11
Walter Martindale
Canada

Quote:
Dave Gallagher wrote: View Post
In my post above I used the term "Aikikai dojo" I meant Aikido dojo. Sorry, my mind is not as good as it used to be and also my mind is not as good as it used to be.lol
was it the heat speaking?

We ("golden horseshoe" area just outside of Toronto) had temperatures in the "feels like" 41C when the humidity and temperature were taken into account. (body temp is 37C 98.6F if the C scale confuses).
Rowing in that with the sun bouncing off the water as well as hitting you from above is very hot - we limit the duration of the session when it gets that hot.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #12
Adam Huss

United_States

I love inclement weather training. Mostly because I hate being uncomfortable and I hate things that I am uncomfortable with.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 06-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #13
Anthony Loeppert
Dojo: Aikido of Del Mar
United_States

Quote:
Adam Huss wrote: View Post
I love inclement weather training. Mostly because I hate being uncomfortable and I hate things that I am uncomfortable with.
I see what you did there

Not me though.... I sweat like a maniac in nice San Diego conditions...
Old 06-22-2012, 02:33 AM   #14
Eva Antonia
Dojo: CERIA
Belgium

Hello,

here in Belgium most dojos close during the summer vacation (01 July - 31 August), not because of the heat but because too many people go away. But there is the Tissier summer camp as compensation for those who stay.
I am going to Istanbul, every summer during the great vacations, and I'm training over there. I don't think the heat really matters. Once you started training you'll sweat anyway, and then you won't feel the heat any more. At least that's it for me. I don't have the impression that training in Istanbul is less dynamic at 39 °C Celsius....I'm already looking forward to it!

All the best,

Eva
Old 06-22-2012, 03:03 AM   #15
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England

This is England...we don't do summer
Old 06-22-2012, 07:22 AM   #16
Basia Halliop
Canada

I'd far rather practice in cooler weather, but I still learn stuff when it's hot and humid, including how to deal with heat and humidity. And I do like the conditioning I seem to get from it (if I can manage not to kill myself or make myself sick, I mean)-- the rest of the day doesn't feel as hot, and I love the extra energy that comes when you've been training lately someplace awfully hot then go to a seminar where they have air conditioning or when suddenly there's a cooler day.

"Once you started training you'll sweat anyway, and then you won't feel the heat any more. "

I haven't found this to be the case at all, but then where I live heat almost always comes with a lot of humidity. The humidity feels much worse than the heat itself, because your sweat doesn't evaporate and cool you off, it just sits there. To me it kinds of feel like you're getting steamed to death, IMO.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #17
Cliff Judge
Japan

Summer is a VERY challenging time to go on a diet of no beer.

That's my thought.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #18
Dave Gallagher
United_States

As I think about it, hot summer training is far better than a winter time dojo with little or no heat. As a senior citizen my body is stiff and hard to limber up and the mats are hard as hell in the cold.
Perhaps the sweat of the heat is better.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #19
Janet Rosen

Quote:
As I think about it, hot summer training is far better than a winter time dojo with little or no heat. As a senior citizen my body is stiff and hard to limber up and the mats are hard as hell in the cold.
Perhaps the sweat of the heat is better.
Yep, even when it's technically "cool" out I wear leggings and long sleeves under my gi to keep joints warm

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 06-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #20
ken king
United_States

I guess I'm spoiled, but the AC in the dojo went out this weekend and it was pretty horrid.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #21
ken king
United_States

There are advantages to training in the heat. It makes you think about slippery wrists, wet clothing, sweat stinging your eyes, breath control, and the importance of hydration. Also it makes it very apparent who doesn't take personal hygeine very seriously in the dojo(stinky people!)
Old 06-25-2012, 10:24 AM   #22
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

just need to wear less clothing in the summer. no clothing would be preferable over thong.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 06-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #23
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Daren Sims wrote: View Post
This is England...we don't do summer
I am feeling right at home here in Seattle, it's rained here every day so far.

I'm going to start heading south pretty soon, I've almost forgotten what the sun looks like.

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #24
Dave Gallagher
United_States

I hope to resume my training in the dojo with no AC on Tuesday. The forecast for that day is 99. It could be worse tomorrow it's 105.
At the age of 62I must be out of my mind.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #25
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
I hope to resume my training in the dojo with no AC on Tuesday. The forecast for that day is 99. It could be worse tomorrow it's 105.
At the age of 62I must be out of my mind.
you could practice aikido in a pool. i have done that before. it's kinda fun as long as you don't pin.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org