Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-16-2001, 12:26 AM   #1
aikijames
Dojo: Fayetteville aikido club
Do symbol

i have resently perchised a playstation 2 and bought the game tekkan tag which has some very realistic graphics. and there are 2 ladies in there that practise aikido. unfortuately they also seem to preform a ju-jitsu combination so there have only a few aikido throws. but i was wondering if anyone has seen any aikido in other videogames.

james
Old 03-16-2001, 03:33 AM   #2
leefr
I think I mentioned this before, but while there is no character in tekken that is an aikidoka, many of the cooler techniques, especially reversals, are aikido techniques.

Many of Jin's reversals and throws are variations on ikkyo, and Paul has a kokyunage reversal against punches.

As for other games, I know Aoi in Virtua Fighter fights in Daito-ryu aikijujutsu, which has some similarity to aikido. There's a nice technique where she turns her back to her opponent as a taunt, and performs a kotegaeshi just as she's about to be sucker punched from behind.

That's about it as far as I know. Maybe Dead or Alive has some aikido in it, but I've never played it, so I couldn't say.
Old 03-16-2001, 03:34 AM   #3
Matt Banks
Hi there, you said they were performing jujitsu combinations, thus not aikido? The jujitsu variations as you put it , was still aikido. I dont think many can distinguish the tecnique of jutsu with aikido... there the same. I bet you would not be able to tell if some dan grades I know train in jujutsu or aikido. The teniques are almost indistinguishible sometimes. All the tecniques they did were aikido. Aikido tecniques can involve anything, its not always the stereotypical ''wrist grab'' as many non aiki people put it.
sorry im not having a go at you. I just wanted to point that out.

Matt Banks

p.s. i know I cant spell.

''Zanshin be aware hold fast your centre''
Old 03-16-2001, 03:39 AM   #4
Matt Banks
I think its difficult to put martial arts that mainly involve throwing, in ''beat em up'' games. Although they do try to.

Matt Banks

''Zanshin be aware hold fast your centre''
Old 03-16-2001, 06:02 AM   #5
andrew
Dojo: NUI, Galway Aikido Club.
Never mind that there's no aikido in it, Soul Calibur is the best beat em up ever. And I think it's currently being converted for the playstation 2....

andrew
Old 03-16-2001, 06:51 PM   #6
jaemin
Dojo: Korea Aikikai Honbu Dojo
You mean 'Jun'?

She was my favorite character though

I'm very poor at playing the game.

Quote:
aikijames wrote:
i have resently perchised a playstation 2 and bought the game tekkan tag which has some very realistic graphics. and there are 2 ladies in there that practise aikido. unfortuately they also seem to preform a ju-jitsu combination so there have only a few aikido throws. but i was wondering if anyone has seen any aikido in other videogames.

james
Old 03-16-2001, 06:54 PM   #7
Nick
United_States
Actually, it's Nina that uses Aikido, though the combos for it are incredibly hard (kind of like Aikido, neh?) I was certainly surprised when my brother's character put me in an ikkyo though....

Nick
Old 03-16-2001, 08:36 PM   #8
aikijames
Dojo: Fayetteville aikido club

i was talking about nina and anna, there grappling combo's are very hard Especially when you have to push 3 buttons at once. but they have a cool tag throw that is a shiho-nage. they do a cool aiki-nage and juji-gatame.
Old 06-25-2001, 12:14 AM   #9
Nick
United_States
I got nina to do a tenkan kaitenage while playing Tekken Tag Tournament... my friends just didn't understand my excitement

Nick
Old 06-26-2001, 07:19 PM   #10
chrisinbrasil
Dojo: Lenwakan
Cool What?

I'm a big video game fan. In fact, I pretty much only play Tekken Tag and Marvel vs. Capcom, and only on arcades. I suck at home games. I use mostly Lei, Yoshimitsu, Angel, and Bryan. I know the moves you are refering to but calling Anna and Nina's style Aikido would be a far stretch in my book. Almost ALL of the characters have Aikido-like moves if you know how to do them. I think that the correction from Jin to Jun was unnecessary being Jin has a reversal that throws you face down on the ground just as Jun has that killer kotegaeshi. What's her name... the Bear's friend, the little chinese girl, her moves (grabs) are almost all Chin-Na and Aikido. In fact, she kind of does irimi-nague. Now I feel like playing...

At your service,
Christopher Wilson
Hito no tachiba wo kanga eru.
Old 07-23-2001, 09:03 PM   #11
Nick
United_States
One of Wang's throws looks like an irimi-nage/plain ole' clothes-line mixup...

I like Bushido Blade better, myself, though it's a close one...

Nick
Old 08-01-2001, 03:02 PM   #12
Colin 67
Dojo: bingham
QueenThe Eye.

Quote:
Originally posted by aikijames

james
There's a game called "Queen The Eye" for the PC which features Aikido. The body movements were recorded by putting movement sensors on a body and recording where they go putting it into the computer etc. Mr William Timms was the poor Aikidoka who had to suffer a day of ukemi up and down stairs for his trouble. He also was recorded doing various Jo and Ken movements and various other techniques which all feature. Quite a good game too. Don't know whether it's available for Playstation etc but if you've got a PC then it's worth a go.
Old 08-01-2001, 06:16 PM   #13
mj
In Soul Blade on the PS... some of the characters do aiki type movements.
Please don't tell me to get a life, I haven't played it for over two years!
Hi Colin67, enjoy SummerCamp this year.
Say Hi for me, Dave too.
Try not to, er, hurt anyone
See you later.
(Is there a doctor in the dojo? )

Old 08-04-2001, 11:22 AM   #14
wildaikido
Dojo: Hans de Jong Self Defence School
Australia
In a game called Kensei Sacred Fist one of the guy's is supposed to be based on Steven Seagal (not played it).
In Tekken I have notice that peoples style change in 1, 2, and 3. I don't think they did to much serious research and forgot what they wrote in the previous instruction booklets.
PS I recommend a game called Ronin Blade (yes its kenjutsu not aikido but its great)

Graham Wild
Old 01-06-2003, 11:05 AM   #15
Veers

Dojo: Shinkikan Aikikai Aikido of Corpus Christi
Her name is Ling Xiaoyu

Her name is Ling Xiaoyu and she uses Kung Fu primarily... All the fighters in Tekken have at least two styles... Nina has the most aikido (anna has some, but less) and it really is hard to do (timing timing timing!).

A lot of Ling's grabs are aikidoish... I don't know the name of the move, but there's one where she grabs the arm, pulls them towards her, and then does the arm-under-the-neck move and flops them on the ground. She also has one or two kote gaeshi throws depending on which side you grab from.

I primarily use Ling when I play Tekken (she's so fast!) and I can usually take down Hwoarang (aka, Bob) because when my bro uses him, he kicks high and fast so I go low and dodge behind him. Though she uses some aikido grabs, her power hitting is in her kicking and, again, her manuverability. (Were I playing the game with that last shot, I could take that big guy down hehe).

Check out Tekken 4's website ...if you want to see Ling doing some moves, go to The Game, then The Fighters, then Ling, then there're three movies on the bottom (for all the characters, really, if you're interested)...

(EDIT: just noticed you can't view those pictures I linked to...you'll have to save them to your HD first...sorry, didn't know that would happen, but it's not that big of a deal, really...)

Last edited by Veers : 01-06-2003 at 11:07 AM.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Old 01-06-2003, 04:04 PM   #16
Heckler2
Dojo: Aikido BME Budapest
Lightbulb Aiki video games

There's a game called Mistmare, what uses Aikido movement for his "hero". The techniques was captured with motion capture technology. Unfortunately, i dunno who was the "victim". The game is not released yet, i read about it in a magazine. By the way, the screenshots looks good.

Mistmare website

PS: Sorry for my "inglesh"

Old 01-09-2003, 06:33 AM   #17
Miguel Cuevas
Dojo: Vineland Aikikia
Video games AND aikido!?!? Two of my most favorite things! I've GOT to post something.

Someone mentioned Aoi from Virtua Fighter 4, my favorite fighting game to date. She is definitely the closest recreation of an aikidoka that I've ever seen in a videogame, right down to her hakama. Aoi has a bunch of beautiful reversals which enable her to counter just about any attack, including some of the more flashy offensive techniques like flipkicks and jumping knees. Even if she can't get a true counter on an incoming attack, the least that you'll get is an animation in which Aoi kind of redirects the attack and makes the attacker stumble for a few seconds. She also has a bunch of "sabakis", which are attacks that if timed correctly, they negate a certain type of incoming attack while allowing Aoi to get a free hit. Needless to say, she is my favorite character!

Recently, Midway released Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance. Even though the game is greatly rooted in fantasy rather than in focusing on realistic martial arts, there is a character by the name of Kano who has aikido as one of the three different "styles" that he can select from on the fly to fight with. I tried the game out and I only got two aikido-ish moves with Kano, but they appeared to be more judo-esque than anything. One throw was a massive O'soto gari, the other was a quick tomoe nage. Try it out and see what you can come up with.

Oh, and by the way, Tekken stinks.

"The true way of the Martial Arts is to train so that these skills are useful at any time, and to teach these skills so that they will be useful in all things."
-Shinmen Musashi
Old 01-09-2003, 07:09 AM   #18
Thalib

Dojo: 合気研究会
Indonesia
Hey... no badmouthing Tekken...

When I have to die by the sword, I will do so with honor.
--------
http://funkybuddha.multiply.com/
Old 01-09-2003, 07:11 AM   #19
Veers

Yeah...Tekken's great...it's just not as realistic as VF4.

Old 01-09-2003, 10:52 AM   #20
Miguel Cuevas
I knew I'd get someone to stick up for Tekken...

Hey, Tekken may be great to some people, but to me, the character's border on being ridiculous and the games fighting system resembles a plethora of unrealistic martial arts maneuvers crammed together to work at high speed. That even wouldn't be a problem if it was at least fun and balanced, of which I find it to be niether. Paul Phoenix, anyone? Hammer fist, power punch; hammer fist sweep, power punch; hammerfist, throw... it makes me wanna scream! Don't even get me started on Kazuya...

For fun and balanced martial arts action, check out Virtua Fighter 4. From what I hear, the new version due out in about 6-8 months has two new characters, one of which is a student of the other martial art that I study in addition to aikido: judo. I can't wait!

"The true way of the Martial Arts is to train so that these skills are useful at any time, and to teach these skills so that they will be useful in all things."
-Shinmen Musashi
Old 01-09-2003, 05:43 PM   #21
Thalib

Dojo: 合気研究会
Indonesia
I like Virtua Fighter series because it's more realistic than most... but sometimes realism is not what I look for in video games or movies.

When I have to die by the sword, I will do so with honor.
--------
http://funkybuddha.multiply.com/
Old 01-09-2003, 07:36 PM   #22
Veers

Yeah, video game=game... :P

Old 01-10-2003, 11:59 AM   #23
Miguel Cuevas
Video Game=FUN...

Tekken=Frustration... ;(

Virtua Fighter 4=Most fun...

Just my honest opinion...

-Shinmen Musashi
Old 01-28-2003, 02:19 AM   #24
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
Funny, that no one has mentioned UFC throwdown as a game they play especially since the NHB thread has a huge following here. For me... i tried it... and its hard. Its all in the timing, and playing it against good computer opponents can be nerve wrecking.

Mortal Combat deadly alliance sucks big time though. heh heh. And i agree, kano's so called aikido is a sham.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.