Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-20-2005, 10:28 PM   #1
Kevin
Dojo: Aiki Zenshin Dojo, Aikido of Fremont
United_States
Aikido Club at College

Hi all.

It has been awhile since I last posted. Eeeks, AikiWeb has grown so much since I first visited.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to give me some input on starting an Aikido Club at UC Davis. Yup.

-Kevin

: P
Old 04-21-2005, 05:45 AM   #2
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Re: Aikido Club at College

Hi Kevin, Welcome back.

The process for starting a college club is probably documented somewhere on your university's website. One generally has to have a faculty sponsor and make an application.

If you need a local instructor, you might talk with Hoa Newens Sensei at http://www.aikidoinstitutedavis.com/ .

Best,

Greg Jennings
Old 04-21-2005, 09:30 AM   #3
Shipley
Dojo: UBC Okanagan Aikido Club
Canada

Hi Kevin,

I can probably tell you more if you give me some details (are you student, faculty, staff; are you planning on teaching the club or finding a sensei willing to visit; how long do you plan on staying at UC Davis, etc), but here is some general advice based on what I've learned.

First, develop a good relationship with whoever runs the facility that you plan on training in. If it is the gymnasium I would first work to get a list of those who are interested, then arrange a meeting with the person in charge to ask what they can do to help. Often they'll have acess to mats, special rooms, and other things that would be helpful. If you get them really excited they may even be willing to spend some money on the club.

Second, don't expect the first year to be easy. It takes time for the word to spread, and while you can get fairly large numbers to the first couple of classes, many will find it's not for them.

Third, expect to see the numbers drop with every batch of midterms.

Fourth, university clubs do not tend to develop a lot of depth. Students graduate and move on. I think of myself as a feed of students into the general aikido community, and that helps.

That being said, I love doing it. I started in a university club when I was a grad student, and loved that. Now I'm a professor, and three or four years ago a group of students approached me about starting a club where I work. The first year was hard, but now I have a great group of students to work with, and we seem to stay limited in numbers to the amount of mat space we have.

Good luck starting the club, and please let me know if I can help in any way.

Cheers,

Paul
Old 04-22-2005, 12:29 PM   #4
Aiki.Ronin
United_States

Hi,

I started an Aikido Club when I was an undergrad. The only part that gave me any trouble was getting the sponsor, and actually that only took two tries.

Generally there is a Office of Student Life or something along those lines at all schools. They generally maintain all the requirements you will need, including samples of all the documents you'll have to fill out.

The only piece of advice I can give is this: If you are teaching the group make sure that when you do weapons training that you stay out of range of the person you are partnered with until you are ready to begin. The guy I was working with had never done anything with martial arts before, and just as I was explaining to everyone (and looking around) the role that they would play he struck be right in the head with his bokken!

Keep your head down, and good luck!
Old 04-23-2005, 01:31 PM   #5
Kevin Kelly
Dojo: Aikido of Reno
United_States

Quote:
Ted Chaffin wrote:
The guy I was working with had never done anything with martial arts before, and just as I was explaining to everyone (and looking around) the role that they would play he struck be right in the head with his bokken!

Keep your head down, and good luck!

ooo Maybe you should have said, "We're not really gonna hit each other". hehe...ouch.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:34 PM   #6
Kevin
United_States

Hi all.

I am a first-year undergrad at UC Davis. I'll probably be staying here another four years, but probably no more. I haven't even thought about Grad School yet, but it is something I might look into.

I hope to have the club to have a more social aspect. Somewhere people can hang and share stuff, as well as the oppurtunity to participate in non-Aikido related events (Paintball, Rock-climbing, etc.).

Thanks everyone.

-Kevin Bui
Old 04-26-2005, 07:31 PM   #7
Erik

I believe UC Davis had one albeit that may have been many years ago.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:41 AM   #8
siobhan
Dojo: Kingston Aikido
United_States

Kevin,
we started an aikido club out here at bard college and it wasn't easy. what helped us the most was getting our sensei form the dojo we were practicing at to do a demo. usually the athletics department is willing to sponsor such events. the athletics and student life departments are to really good places to go for funding as well. also keep your receipts for anything that you are purchasing such as food, movies (for film screening), and gas. usually you can get reimbursed for those.
another thing to keep in mind is that usually student clubs get more funding with the more events that they hold for the school and the community.
good luck

Siobhan
Old 04-27-2005, 12:48 PM   #9
Aiki.Ronin
United_States

Quote:
Kevin Kelly wrote:
ooo Maybe you should have said, "We're not really gonna hit each other". hehe...ouch.

Actually...I did. That's why I took his "stick" away. heh heh.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:52 PM   #10
Kevin
United_States
Confused Re: Aikido Club at College

Awesome. There are Aikido classes on campus, but that's a class. Yeah. Thanks for everyone's help.

-Kevin
Old 04-27-2005, 10:38 PM   #11
Shipley
Dojo: UBC Okanagan Aikido Club
Canada

Have you talked with whoever it is that teaches the classes on campus?

Paul