Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Language

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-13-2003, 08:37 PM   #1
Dave Porter

Dojo: Kokkishinkan Dojo, Childersburg, Alabama
Defintion of Shugyo.

Hey everyone, Quick question. I've searched and searched, and I can't get a hard definition of Shugyo. From what I've read and been told, it means different things to different people. As near as I can figure, my definition is "Intense training and Dedication to ones art." Is that correct or at least nearly? Thanks for any help. ~Dave~
Old 02-13-2003, 08:43 PM   #2
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
I would say a period of intense training.

For example.

Two summers ago I returned to Japan and trained hard every day for three months. That was Shugyo.

We just had the winter Gashko which I did not attend. For those that did - that was Shugyo.

It's not just showing up and practicing either - the self driven intensity is important.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 02-13-2003, 08:47 PM   #3
Thomas Froman
Dojo: Ronin Bushido Aikido
I think that is close. In the excellent book Aikido Shugyo, even though no clear definition is given Shugyo is explained as " 'ascetic training' , constant training in order to unite body, mind and heart." I hope that helps.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:32 PM   #4
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
I usually think there is an element of self denial in addition to intensity.

Best Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 02-14-2003, 12:09 AM   #5
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Quote:
Thomas Froman wrote:
I think that is close. In the excellent book Aikido Shugyo, even though no clear definition is given Shugyo is explained as " 'ascetic training' , constant training in order to unite body, mind and heart." I hope that helps.
Basically, it means any kind of intensive study or training. I believe that the word has it's roots in Buddhist ascetic training, but today it's used for everything from Budo training to studying for the Junior High school entrance exams.

Best,

Chris

Old 02-17-2003, 12:42 AM   #6
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
From Dave Lowry's "Sword and Brush"

"Shugyo: Austerity

Too early in the morning? Get up and train. Cold and wet outside? Go train. Tired? Weary of the whole journey and longing just for a moment to stop and rest? Train. Continue on in the spirit of perseverance-this is the advice for the bugeisha who reaches an obstacle in the Way, as surely he will. It is advice that will be lost on the novice. The beginner's enthusiasm is such that he cannot imagine what blocks could lie ahead to halt his progress. If some decisive challenge to his continuing on does appear at this early stage, he will likely abandon his practice altogether. The art has not yet penetrated into his daily life. It can be quit without damage to the psyche. It is the more advanced bugeisha who must face dilemmas and potential obstructions that can have serious emotional and psychological consequences. It is shugyo to which he must turn at these times if he expects to overcome and persevere."

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 02-20-2003, 09:03 PM   #7
Dave Porter

Dojo: Kokkishinkan Dojo, Childersburg, Alabama
Thats the Answer I relate to the most. Thanks to all who posted. ~Dave~

~Shugyo~ Total Dedication.
Old 02-21-2003, 05:07 AM   #8
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
In Japanese there are two ways of writing the word: 修業 and 修行. Gozo Shioda uses the second way, which has a stronger sense of asceticism and austerity, like serving out an apprenticeship, as a deshi, for example. Written in the first way, it can also mean completing a course of study.

Best regards,

P A Goldsbury