Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-27-2003, 12:01 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
AikiWeb Poll for the week of July 27, 2003:

How much safer do you think aikido training would be without people wearing the hakama?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Crucially safer
  • Much safer
  • Somewhat safer
  • Not much safer
  • Not at all safer
Here are the current results.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:32 AM   #2
shihonage
United_States
In a related question, how much rounder will a burger look if you do not in fact put ketchup in it ?
Old 07-27-2003, 05:02 AM   #3
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
The thing is I don't wear hakama - at least not normally.

Shodokan people generally don't.

Kenji Tomiki felt that it was detrimental to the safety of randori.

The worst I ever hurt anyone was when his foot got caught up in my hakama which I wore when training with aikikai groups.

From what I've seen I tend to agree - I voted much safer.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 07-27-2003, 03:04 PM   #4
Nacho_mx
Dojo: Federación Mexicana de Aikido
In 6 years of training I´ve seen but one incident in which someone tripped in his hakama resulting in a separated shoulder. In almost three years of wearing a hakama I´ve tripped once with no serious consequences (minor groin pull). So I voted "not much safer", if not at all. Keep in mind in our dojo only yudansha and women (optional) wear hakama, so a better footwork/ukemi is somewhat expected. Very few women opt for the hakama in early stages of training and there has been no incidents.

Last edited by Nacho_mx : 07-27-2003 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-27-2003, 03:11 PM   #5
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
I have seen one person tear a hamstring due to getting their foot caught in their partner's hakama. To be fair, though, they were too tight and rigid with their ukemi and that's what caused the incident.

I can understand the Shodokan sport activities not wearing hakama. We do not do the kiyogi tanto randori so it's not an issue. Our folks often wear hakama or not, depends on the occasion. Our randori (slow and intense at beginning stages but fast and full force at higher levels) has not been hampered by hakama even when we go to the ground as necessary at times into newaza. I don't think it really matters what you wear. You need to learn to work within many different settings, etc.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 07-28-2003, 06:03 PM   #6
Bogeyman
Dojo: UW-La Crosse Aikido
In my 13 years I can't recall seeing anything more than a fall occurring as the result of a hakama and no injuries. I realize that injuries will occur because of getting caught in a hakama but I have seen injuries that had nothing to do with a hakama and have seen an ACL tear from someone walking down a sidewalk. Sometimes accidents just happen and I hate to see it blamed on a part of a uniform.

E
Old 07-28-2003, 06:36 PM   #7
Mel Barker
Dojo: University of Louisville Aikido Club
United_States
I'm amazed every time I leave the mat and haven't torn a hamstring or pulled my groin from wearing that damn skirt.