Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions > Events Listings: Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #51
DH
United_States
Re: Internal/Aiki training with Dan Harden in London, April13-15

I did and replied a resounding yes to starting early on Sat morning 10am is fine.
And staying with you!!!!
Thank you very much.
See you Friday
Dan
Old 04-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #52
Alec Corper

Dojo: Itten Suginami Dojo, Nunspeet
Netherlands

So does this mean we are starting at 10.00?
Alex, how about some info ;-)

If your temper rises withdraw your hand, if your hand rises withdraw your temper.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #53
AlexF
Dojo: NA
United Kingdom

I wanted to post the plan tomorrow after speaking to Dan as nothing below is confirmed.
So provisionally...., afternoon training in Green Park (bring raincoat as forecast says rain and there is little to no shelter).
I found out earlier that we have access to the hall from 9:30 onwards instead of 11:30. Dan is well up for starting earlier as am I but as it's short notice I don't know if everyone can make it for the earlier start time.

Alec: I hadn't forgotten you, check your pm
Old 04-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #54
AlexF
United Kingdom

Dan will be in Green Park at around 5, c u then.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:01 AM   #55
AlexF
United Kingdom

What a great weekend. As usual Dan is FULL of helpful training advice, metaphors, visualizations etc... on how to help yourself improve and grow. You definitely get value for money information wise and hands on time, theres no labouring on a principle and eaking it out for all its worth as some "names" are known to do. Maybe the informal jovial vibe allows for this, I know Dan works very hard for everyone to get something out of the seminars. As I found out on a private session, the scary thing is that once you do the work and can at least on a basic level manifest the principle he will add something which adds another layer/depth or makes you think about the principle in another way. Although I regret not being able to work with Dan more than a couple of times a year the flip side is the harder I work the more I can move forward when I do see him.
So a big thank you for your continued help, cant wait to see if Im ready for some new "stuff" next time we meet.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:54 AM   #56
Chris Knight
England

I totally agree Alex, although being a newbie, Dan made me totally at ease and his knowledge is definately encyclopedic... it was great meeting everyone but I def have my work cut out for me to even to start and catch up, something which I really hope to do. My leg still hurts, my stomach is still concave, but I'm still smiling.

Now I just need to be able to move the kua without the hip dance

pinot chardonnay anyone?
Old 04-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #57
AlexF
United Kingdom

Chris, in previous seminars Dan showed that spiralling with your ass against the wall is a great way to monitor whether your moving from the hip or the waist, I can't remember if he mentioned it over the weekend. It may help initially as it's so obvious if one of your cheeks comes off the wall.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #58
Rob Watson
United_States

Quote:
Alex Ferreras wrote: View Post
Chris, in previous seminars Dan showed that spiralling with your ass against the wall is a great way to monitor whether your moving from the hip or the waist, I can't remember if he mentioned it over the weekend. It may help initially as it's so obvious if one of your cheeks comes off the wall.
Is that while spiraling or just while winding?

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #59
AlexF
United Kingdom

Spiralling, you will need to sit into the stance and lean the upper body slightly forward (just enough to let your shoulders end up at 45degrees to the hip/wall. Amongst other things this is an aid to help you isolate the turn of the upper body left & right without moving the hips. Once you can do it, repeat the same feel away from the wall.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #60
Rob Watson
United_States

Quote:
Alex Ferreras wrote: View Post
Spiralling, you will need to sit into the stance and lean the upper body slightly forward (just enough to let your shoulders end up at 45degrees to the hip/wall. Amongst other things this is an aid to help you isolate the turn of the upper body left & right without moving the hips. Once you can do it, repeat the same feel away from the wall.
Huh, actually, I'm not clear on the spiral bit but the butt on the wall thing I can do two different ways - one clearly wrong and the other is less wrong (might even be partly right). Simply tilting the hips left and right one is able to keep the knees over the toes and the butt against the wall but the lower back gets all wierd. Actually turning at the waist/lower back while being mindful of keeping the spine mostly straight is closer to what I think is right.

I'd caution that the butt check is only good for the hips rotating horizontally (forward and back). Checks are great but just because one passes the check does not mean things are going right! Check fail is fail - check pass maybe fail, too. So many ways to fail.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.