Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-03-2012, 05:40 AM   #126
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain
Re: How to be non-competitive in a competitive world

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
...But you do 'like' references to virtually all statements.

Peace.G.
Only the ones that look extracted from posteriore parte spine dorsi.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:41 AM   #127
TheAikidoka

Dojo: Tenshinkan Dojo UK - mid sussex martial arts school
England

Quote:
Tom Quinn wrote: View Post
Competitive:- Teaches

1. To set a goal
2. To improve your skills and performance to reach your goal
3. To exert whatever effort it takes to improve yourself
4. This teaches one that although you may not reach your goal, you can improve.
5. This proves that hard work and determination can take you farther than wishing and complaining

Non-competitive:- Teaches

1. To develop an attitude of entitlement.
2. To expect that the people putting forth an effort will take care of you
3. So there is an expectation that those who do nothing to improve themselves will be supported by those who do.
4. This teaches one how to create dependency.
5. This proves that everyone is equal and should have the same opportunities for advancement, regardless of qualifications or effort.
Thank you mr quin, for your alternate view, on my original five points of view. I have been incredibly busy at work, and have a 3 & a 4 your old daughters also keeeping me busy as well as teaching practicing, an d posting threads and comments on Aiki Web ( love it all really ) and do not have time to read all post.
thank you for your contribution and efforts, I will digest what you have said, and will if necessay write an appropriate response. This is more of the kind of thing I first expected when I had the original Idea Competition vs non-competition.

In Budo

Andy B

Last edited by TheAikidoka : 03-03-2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #128
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Quote:
Andrew Bedford wrote: View Post
I ment, make it as peaceful as you possibly can. Avoid it if you can, if you cannot avoid it, then injure slightly, if you have to maim/disable, before you kill, and if you must kill, kill cleanly and swiftly ( do not let them suffer) because not one drop f life should be wasted even in death.

This I believe is what O sensei ment, then technique from no matter what style, form or indeed different martial arts, will have that same intent behind it, do as little harm as possible to control the situation in hand.

This does not say do nothing if the violence escalates, indeed to do nothing when you can, is cowardice and it is vileness to my eyes, when I think of Budo.
Andrew:

Have you ever been in really violent, physical encounters? The idea that you have some choice as to trying to control the level of "peacefulness" is in my own view, unrealistic and frankly dangerous to ask anyone to consider when faced with such a situation. The same applies to killing cleanly. All of that sounds awesome from the rear seat of an auditorium listening to a lecture on that topic. Unfortunately, there may be some practical considerations regarding your genuine, physical well-being that supersede such a luxury of thought.

Quote:

Ask yourself where are you at this moment, I guarantee you when you read this the answer will be.......HERE NOW. You cannot be anywhere else. Please do try and tell me I'm wrong. And Come up with a convincing argument that is not based on the thought of form, because if it, is it is based in some kind of fear of future or past. if you can theN, you are not really present at all.

Andy B
Andrew:

What you are saying is too simplistic to genuinely understand what I was trying to say to you. I will try, in short, to give you a primer in the neuropsychology that I was referring to.

1) We are telic beings. We function as entities that seek to define our experience based upon some internal constructs. That is at a meta-level- akin to an existential psychological means of understanding.

2) We, among several other species, have memories. Memories serve to frame our experiences so as to provide us a construct of understanding. IN OTHER WORDS, your present experience always involves the past.

3) Because we ascribe meanings and understandings to events and interactions, along with that, comes the predictive element to our understandings. This creates a sense of continuity of experiences. IN OTHER WORDS, your present experiences always involves the future.

4) If you are sitting in a room and you are hallucinating and believe that you at a beach, where are you? Once again, our experiences are the end result of a series of bio-chemical reactions. Your wanting to say that you are only here in the now, is as a result of points 2 & 3.

In summary, any experience that you have is as a direct result of internal constructs that are at its essence, bio-chemical/electrical processes. Those internal processes are framed for us as past, current and future experiences, all encapsulated within a moment. It does not matter whether you or I believe this or not, it is simply the best scientific understanding we have to date. If that changes, I will make a note to appraise you of those changes.

Marc Abrams
Old 03-03-2012, 08:12 AM   #129
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Only the ones that look extracted from posteriore parte spine dorsi.

Hmmmm. Latinus maximus............hmmmmmm.

Peace,G.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #130
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Hmmmm. Latinus maximus............hmmmmmm.

Peace,G.
Required for understanding the most spiritual parts of the Kojiki.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #131
graham christian
England

Quote:
Required for understanding the most spiritual parts of the Kojiki.

Hmmm...intellectus dominus....hmmmm. Spiritualus minimus...hmmmmm.

Peace.G.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #132
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Ahhhh... the famous anti-intellectualism of western buddhism. Well played, sir.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #133
graham christian
England

Quote:
Ahhhh... the famous anti-intellectualism of western buddhism. Well played, sir.
Forget the western part and you're spot on brother.

Another facet of the negative competitive mind. To have more data, to present the image of knowing, to be superior. Without being able to do. A strange phenomenon.

Compare that to zen for example, mmmm. To ask a zen monk to talk about the past he would ask why you are still carrying it.

To explain blah, blah, blah, and quote blah, blah, blah, he would say your cup is full.

Yet at the same time his mind is shugyo.

To intellectualize Buddhism is a western trait my friend.

To know nothing is indeed enlightening.

Peace.G.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #134
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:

Another facet of the negative competitive mind. To have more data, to present the image of knowing, to be superior. Without being able to do. A strange phenomenon.

Compare that to zen for example, mmmm. To ask a zen monk to talk about the past he would ask why you are still carrying it.

To explain blah, blah, blah, and quote blah, blah, blah, he would say your cup is full.

Yet at the same time his mind is shugyo.

To intellectualize Buddhism is a western trait my friend.

To know nothing is indeed enlightening.

Peace.G.
I've translated for a number of well known Japanese Buddhist priests, and the material was very intellectual (and very difficult).

Still, I have to admit, two of them were from western Japan.

None of them even mentioned anything about full cups - but they did keep pouring the beer when my cup was empty...

Best,

Chris

Old 03-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #135
graham christian
England

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
I've translated for a number of well known Japanese Buddhist priests, and the material was very intellectual (and very difficult).

Still, I have to admit, two of them were from western Japan.

None of them even mentioned anything about full cups - but they did keep pouring the beer when my cup was empty...

Best,

Chris
I bet you have. Most would be too polite to say so unless you are actually studying buddhism with them.

Now, more importantly, did you understand and apply what you translated? When you sobered up of course.

It's good that you helped them communicate with the world, very kind of you. I bet you can talkall about it. You could even relate it and discuss and debate it.

No different to Ki. Can you use it? Like the calm mind, can you apply it without fail in Aikido.

Can you 'stand in the void'? Until then feel free to talk about, nothing wrong with that but it's not doing it, it's not knowing. It's intellectualizing about.

There's so many things I don't know that I'm happy.

Peace.G.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #136
Gary David

United_States

Quote:
I bet you have. Most would be too polite to say so unless you are actually studying buddhism with them.

Now, more importantly, did you understand and apply what you translated? When you sobered up of course.

It's good that you helped them communicate with the world, very kind of you. I bet you can talkall about it. You could even relate it and discuss and debate it.

No different to Ki. Can you use it? Like the calm mind, can you apply it without fail in Aikido.

Can you 'stand in the void'? Until then feel free to talk about, nothing wrong with that but it's not doing it, it's not knowing. It's intellectualizing about.

There's so many things I don't know that I'm happy.

Peace.G.
Graham
To really know it you have to feel it...that is part of a body thing.....for us to understand you we have to feel you.....it is very hard to get you out to play. Spirit-mind-body.... I will say that you are very good with the words...putting them together....arranging them to work....all of that.

Just go straight
Gary
Old 03-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #137
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Not really. Anti-intellectualism is not so common in eastern buddhism. Of course, if by buddhism you mean the modern approach of people like D.T. Suzuki then I have to agree with you. However, I have serious doubts about that approach being buddhism.

In any case, being my cup full, my fridge almost empty and, of course, the futility of this kind of exchanges, I'm heading to the supermarket ... I quit. You win. Happier now?
Old 03-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #138
graham christian
England

Quote:
Gary Welborn wrote: View Post
Graham
To really know it you have to feel it...that is part of a body thing.....for us to understand you we have to feel you.....it is very hard to get you out to play. Spirit-mind-body.... I will say that you are very good with the words...putting them together....arranging them to work....all of that.

Just go straight
Gary
Hi Gary.
To really know it that's true. To understand me you only have to read what I write.

You don't have to know me you know. Just as I don't have to know you.

For some reason you feel 'we have to feel you'. You don't have to anything and who exactly are 'we'?

I don't go out to play type statements I have never really understood, I think there is an americanism there I don't get. Maybe a cultural thing.

If you mean I don't come over there on some kind of tour then yes and I don't see myself doing so.

If you mean I don't want to meet or train with anyone who continuously insults what I do or blatantly says it's rubbish, then yes, no play.

If you mean to prove to someone then yes, no play.

If you mean just to satisfy someones curiosity the 50/50 for I don't see much purpose in that either.

If you mean anyone that want's to learn or needs help then I'm always out playing.

Help is a fine word and a fine action. To understand me is simple from that view. You want help with your Aikido then come see me. If you're not coming for help then don't bother yourself.

The only other times is when asked to share, when invited to visit, and then it depends on who is asking. Simple really.

Peace.G.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #139
Gary David

United_States

Quote:
Hi Gary.
To really know it that's true. To understand me you only have to read what I write.

You don't have to know me you know. Just as I don't have to know you.

For some reason you feel 'we have to feel you'. You don't have to anything and who exactly are 'we'?

I don't go out to play type statements I have never really understood, I think there is an americanism there I don't get. Maybe a cultural thing.

If you mean I don't come over there on some kind of tour then yes and I don't see myself doing so.

If you mean I don't want to meet or train with anyone who continuously insults what I do or blatantly says it's rubbish, then yes, no play.

If you mean to prove to someone then yes, no play.

If you mean just to satisfy someones curiosity the 50/50 for I don't see much purpose in that either.

If you mean anyone that want's to learn or needs help then I'm always out playing.

Help is a fine word and a fine action. To understand me is simple from that view. You want help with your Aikido then come see me. If you're not coming for help then don't bother yourself.

The only other times is when asked to share, when invited to visit, and then it depends on who is asking. Simple really.

Peace.G.
Graham
I guess we are at and end.....

You are right I don't have to know you...I will never know you, your understanding or skill level by what you write... you will have to go out and establish your ....what would have been called your bonafidies...you have to establish your reputation in person with hands on contact if you want to be highly regarded by anyone I know. Not that it matters to you one way or the other.

If reading is a way to know you then reading your video clips should give me a understanding of what you do.......you told me I couldn't even come close to knowing what you were doing by reading you clips.....getting out and mixing with others outside your small circle would help.......not that it matters to you.

If one publishes a book on the skill set to do something along with how to do it stuff you have to get out to sell it in person or it will be a not go, it is like someone tellings others about how to function within a marriage having never been close to being in one and only reading about it on the internet......not that this matters to you.

Helping and sharing with others is a good thing though it seems you are very selective in who you allow in to be helped......not that this matters to you.

As for helping me with my Aikido.........I don't think you are up to it.......

Of course on the internet you only have to type and if you can get enough folks to respond to you you have form.........this matters to you.......you only have substance if you get out and establish validity in person......

see you on the other side....

Happy Trails (another western Cowboy kind of thing)

Gary
Old 03-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #140
graham christian
England

Quote:
Graham
I guess we are at and end.....

You are right I don't have to know you...I will never know you, your understanding or skill level by what you write... you will have to go out and establish your ....what would have been called your bonafidies...you have to establish your reputation in person with hands on contact if you want to be highly regarded by anyone I know. Not that it matters to you one way or the other.

If reading is a way to know you then reading your video clips should give me a understanding of what you do.......you told me I couldn't even come close to knowing what you were doing by reading you clips.....getting out and mixing with others outside your small circle would help.......not that it matters to you.

If one publishes a book on the skill set to do something along with how to do it stuff you have to get out to sell it in person or it will be a not go, it is like someone tellings others about how to function within a marriage having never been close to being in one and only reading about it on the internet......not that this matters to you.

Helping and sharing with others is a good thing though it seems you are very selective in who you allow in to be helped......not that this matters to you.

As for helping me with my Aikido.........I don't think you are up to it.......

Of course on the internet you only have to type and if you can get enough folks to respond to you you have form.........this matters to you.......you only have substance if you get out and establish validity in person......

see you on the other side....

Happy Trails (another western Cowboy kind of thing)

Gary
1st para: Correct. That doesn't matter to me. My purpose isn't to be highly regarded.

2nd para:You read books, you gain some understanding, hence reading, hence books. Bet you haven't met many of the Authors though. To want to would be...... strange. What you believe the vids show is not close, true. Getting outside my'small circle' would help what?

3rd para.:Ha, ha, thought you were going to say if you write a book on marriage you had to get out and marry people.....
As you say you merely have to be married, to have experience, then Aikido wise I'm ready to write a book.
You know, I bet you have read a lot about swordwork hmmmm. By someone that's killed and maimed people with swords? Think you get the picture. So correct again, I don't need hands on to sell a book.

4th para: Everyone on earth selects who they want to teach. Helping? Nah, not very selective at all.
You believe I can teach you nothing. That's good. So if I can't help you and you don't need me to teach you then why would you want me to get out and meet folk like you? So your thoughts....correct again, in respect to taking them as advice, no they mean nothing to me.

My thoughts have substance whether you folks meet me in person or not.

So I suggest you go straight and look at exactly what you are saying. 1) You don't believe I can help you and therefor others maybe. 2) You don't believe my Aikido is real or effective.

Therefore why on earth would you think I should get out and share it? Hmmmm. Not straight methinks...

This is the confusion I see. You're against it yet want me to share it.

Allow me to say what I think. I think you are against what I say and the only reason you want me to go out and meet others is to make me wrong. How close is that? Strange thing is that way of thinking will never know unless personally experiencing.

On the other side of the coin we have positive people who read and are inspired by what they read and thus inspired in what they do.

In the middle would be people who are neither inspired nor wanting to prove wrong but merely interested, merely find the alternative view interesting. Neutral.

Fodoshin. Unmoved by what others tell you you should or must do, unmoved by others self important advice, unmoved by negative competitiveness, unmoved by 'helpful' manipulation. Yet always open to warmth and life and the smilarities and differences therein. Unmoved by attacks or attempts to undermine.

I think you will find a man of budo named Ueshiba did as he wanted, when he wanted, according to his own principles and was unmoved by others negative manipulative ways, especially after the war .
May the universe be my advisor and may I be humble enough to listen.

Peace.G.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #141
Gary David

United_States

Quote:
Allow me to say what I think. I think you are against what I say and the only reason you want me to go out and meet others is to make me wrong. How close is that? Strange thing is that way of thinking will never know unless personally experiencing.
Graham
I will concede that you are the master of pretzel logic..... you can change and shape the meeting and words in sentences to fit your needs.

Let me finish with a couple of things then we can move in our different directions.....
  • there is a saying here that "you say what you do and do what you say" you only say......Aikido needs to be felt as the experience.
  • your success or failure has no value or meaning to me, but believe what you will as you will anyway
  • as for your helping me with my Aikido......my stating that you couldn't is a factor of were I am on my journey/path now. To go with you would mean me stepping back and changing paths. I don't have 10 or 15 years to catch back up....and your path doesn't work for me in any case.
In closing.... a friend of mine related that he teaches Aiki- jujutsu with 3 distinct approaches. One being sport or recreation level, the 2nd is for police where they face resistive and noncooperative individuals but have to be careful about limiting injuries to these same individuals, the 3 rd being military were the attacker is not at all cooperative and the outcome may well be death. No one I know wishes to be involved in the later two, but one should have some window into them or at least be aware they exist......

I don't see current Aikido as being anything other than recreation level without any awareness to the tools existing out there to even push their level of Aikido to openings, doors if you will, that expands their effectiveness........the general response being "...we already do that...."

But again everyone seems happy...so why change....after all "we already do that"

Have fun on you journey...go your way....I'll go mine.

Respect is given where it is earned and return (another cowboy thing,,,,)
Gary
Old 03-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #142
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Quote:
Graham
I will concede that you are the master of pretzel logic..... you can change and shape the meeting and words in sentences to fit your needs.

Let me finish with a couple of things then we can move in our different directions.....
  • there is a saying here that "you say what you do and do what you say" you only say......Aikido needs to be felt as the experience.
  • your success or failure has no value or meaning to me, but believe what you will as you will anyway
  • as for your helping me with my Aikido......my stating that you couldn't is a factor of were I am on my journey/path now. To go with you would mean me stepping back and changing paths. I don't have 10 or 15 years to catch back up....and your path doesn't work for me in any case.
In closing.... a friend of mine related that he teaches Aiki- jujutsu with 3 distinct approaches. One being sport or recreation level, the 2nd is for police where they face resistive and noncooperative individuals but have to be careful about limiting injuries to these same individuals, the 3 rd being military were the attacker is not at all cooperative and the outcome may well be death. No one I know wishes to be involved in the later two, but one should have some window into them or at least be aware they exist......

I don't see current Aikido as being anything other than recreation level without any awareness to the tools existing out there to even push their level of Aikido to openings, doors if you will, that expands their effectiveness........the general response being "...we already do that...."

But again everyone seems happy...so why change....after all "we already do that"

Gary
Gary:

You hit the nail on the head! A person wants something to be personally experienced and exercises pretzel logic to keep some people away from personally experiencing what he does. Cowboys have another expression for that.... Unfortunately, Jun would give the proverbial time-out for calling a person to task. People have asked him to provide some specific understandings of what he alleges that he does and says. Pretzel logic again and avoids the obvious lack of depth of any real understanding..... Oh yeah, that darn intellectualism. How dare somebody ask that you actually know what you are talking about... Personal feelings and personal, unable to test experiences are paramount. After all, life is so simple.....

One would think that he should be more focused on personal accountability. I remember asking him some questions that he said that he was going to get answered..... Still waiting.... Then again, I will post my own findings. Basically, We have somebody with no more than 15 years of being under some unknown teacher and left to pursue...... who knows what O'Sensei said and did, without ever knowing Japanese, or spent any time with a direct student of O'Sensei. ... Said he did WELL what Tohei Sensei did and never felt him, or knew him and posted that his teacher was a student of Tohei Sensei (Yet to be established as fact)... Talked about such knowledge of Zen and no apparent understanding of some serious Zen and Buddhist literature. ... Talked about knowledge of weapons and has yet to say where that learning came from..... On and On and On...... Maybe integrity and honesty about what you say and do is part of the cowboy American way....

Marc Abrams
Old 03-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #143
graham christian
England

Quote:
Graham

Gary
You are good at telling me what I do. Incorrectly.
I'm good at telling you what I do. Maybe the art of listening could help.

You say I only say, contrary to what I have said but do you listen? So who is twisting words?

Another person from this forum met me and said I walk the talk, but do you listen?

I'm serious, for if you did you couldn't make such statements so I can only assume you didn't hear.

I have taught some policemen and in fact out of two visiting once only one said he wanted to learn while the other couldn't see any use for this way. The one who did used it to not only save his own life but to disarm a gunman. I have related this before. But you talk as if you didn't listen, as if I am unaware or such things police and various other areas may face.

As in all arts and ways, some can see their potential use, some cannot.

Well if that's the cowboy view on respect then yeeeeeeha!!! I teach to give respect not to earn it and that those who say you must earn it have none.

Tohei taught that too, just as a matter of interest.

Peace.G.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #144
graham christian
England

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
Gary:

You hit the nail on the head! A person wants something to be personally experienced and exercises pretzel logic to keep some people away from personally experiencing what he does. Cowboys have another expression for that.... Unfortunately, Jun would give the proverbial time-out for calling a person to task. People have asked him to provide some specific understandings of what he alleges that he does and says. Pretzel logic again and avoids the obvious lack of depth of any real understanding..... Oh yeah, that darn intellectualism. How dare somebody ask that you actually know what you are talking about... Personal feelings and personal, unable to test experiences are paramount. After all, life is so simple.....

One would think that he should be more focused on personal accountability. I remember asking him some questions that he said that he was going to get answered..... Still waiting.... Then again, I will post my own findings. Basically, We have somebody with no more than 15 years of being under some unknown teacher and left to pursue...... who knows what O'Sensei said and did, without ever knowing Japanese, or spent any time with a direct student of O'Sensei. ... Said he did WELL what Tohei Sensei did and never felt him, or knew him and posted that his teacher was a student of Tohei Sensei (Yet to be established as fact)... Talked about such knowledge of Zen and no apparent understanding of some serious Zen and Buddhist literature. ... Talked about knowledge of weapons and has yet to say where that learning came from..... On and On and On...... Maybe integrity and honesty about what you say and do is part of the cowboy American way....

Marc Abrams
Another personal, insulting, inaccurate post, Integrity??? huh.

Mirror springs to mind.

Peace.G.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #145
TheAikidoka

England

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
Andrew:

Have you ever been in really violent, physical encounters? The idea that you have some choice as to trying to control the level of "peacefulness" is in my own view, unrealistic and frankly dangerous to ask anyone to consider when faced with such a situation. The same applies to killing cleanly. All of that sounds awesome from the rear seat of an auditorium listening to a lecture on that topic. Unfortunately, there may be some practical considerations regarding your genuine, physical well-being that supersede such a luxury of thought.

Andrew:

What you are saying is too simplistic to genuinely understand what I was trying to say to you. I will try, in short, to give you a primer in the neuropsychology that I was referring to.

1) We are telic beings. We function as entities that seek to define our experience based upon some internal constructs. That is at a meta-level- akin to an existential psychological means of understanding.

2) We, among several other species, have memories. Memories serve to frame our experiences so as to provide us a construct of understanding. IN OTHER WORDS, your present experience always involves the past.

3) Because we ascribe meanings and understandings to events and interactions, along with that, comes the predictive element to our understandings. This creates a sense of continuity of experiences. IN OTHER WORDS, your present experiences always involves the future.

4) If you are sitting in a room and you are hallucinating and believe that you at a beach, where are you? Once again, our experiences are the end result of a series of bio-chemical reactions. Your wanting to say that you are only here in the now, is as a result of points 2 & 3.

In summary, any experience that you have is as a direct result of internal constructs that are at its essence, bio-chemical/electrical processes. Those internal processes are framed for us as past, current and future experiences, all encapsulated within a moment. It does not matter whether you or I believe this or not, it is simply the best scientific understanding we have to date. If that changes, I will make a note to appraise you of those changes.

Marc Abrams
To Mark
I have sent you a PM, hope you understand when you read it.
and yes it is simple, but is not easy, it's never easy.

oh and science is only based on theory, all theory, I'm dealing in absolute truth and fact.
Ask a professor of physics or any real science as you like this form, what time it is, and he will come up with all sorts of theories, except the absolute truth, not theory, it is simply the present moment.

Andy B

Last edited by TheAikidoka : 03-03-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #146
Gary David

United_States

Quote:
Another personal, insulting, inaccurate post, Integrity??? huh.

Mirror springs to mind.

Peace.G.
Graham
Geeezzzz I can't win with you....ooops that being competitive. A couple of more things be I ride off into the sunset.........
  • You always tell me what I told you, but never what I said
  • One of the other Western things is to "be skeptical but learn to listen....this I have always tried to do with you, but you leave no room
  • It seems that everything mentioned by someone else here you have done or something close to it or have the answer for it....doesn't leave much room either....that is wiggle room....
  • None of my post are meant to be insulting...just pointing out things

Aside from that I think you are an interesting individual....so have fun on your journey...

and so it ends.....
Gary
Old 03-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #147
TheAikidoka

England

Gary please don't go, dont, goooooo, away. Couldn't resist famous song I like, that just popped in there.

Hope you guys can mend your differences that's what Aikido is all about it is not in the differences, it's in the how. it's in reconciliating the conflict that is happening in this moment, through and that resolution, comes from a non competitive mind. There you go, take it or leave it my friends. There is the truth.

In peace brothers

Andy B
Old 03-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #148
graham christian
England

Quote:
Graham
Geeezzzz I can't win with you....ooops that being competitive. A couple of more things be I ride off into the sunset.........
  • You always tell me what I told you, but never what I said
  • One of the other Western things is to "be skeptical but learn to listen....this I have always tried to do with you, but you leave no room
  • It seems that everything mentioned by someone else here you have done or something close to it or have the answer for it....doesn't leave much room either....that is wiggle room....
  • None of my post are meant to be insulting...just pointing out things

Aside from that I think you are an interesting individual....so have fun on your journey...

and so it ends.....
Gary
Hi Gary.
You can win with me, that's the point. It's so easy that it's difficult to see how to make it hard.

Acceptance. Neither agreement nor disagreement. Center. Then and only then may you continuously win. I practice continuously winning. I would like the 'apparent' opponent to do so too.

Notice I don't even venture to give an opinion as to how you should do your Aikido or to anyone else for that matter and even worse what they should do. Why?

Because I accept I don't know them. Thus I am free of such behavior. Non competitive. Winning.

Saying geez you can't win with me is like saying you can't find any openings. Why should you want to?

I am not your opponent or enemy.

I know I am your friend, I know I am even the friend of my enemy. Any ideas you have of what I should do or need thus they may be your enemy, not me.

You ever heard the saying 'give them enough rope'?

A favorite of mine. Thus I let those few use what I say to misquote me, use what I say to try and find a discrepancy, use what I say to try prove something or other about me. Wow, what a game. What a waste. I am mischievous enough to give them more rope. I accept for some reason they must do it so carry on for at the end of the day egg on face springs to mind.

Someone like you, having trained with many competent people and carried on for so long and still learning I can only admire. For I see dedication to a path and really I see nothing else, I don't need to.

Peace.G.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:02 AM   #149
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Quote:
Gary please don't go, dont, goooooo, away. Couldn't resist famous song I like, that just popped in there.

Hope you guys can mend your differences that's what Aikido is all about it is not in the differences, it's in the how. it's in reconciliating the conflict that is happening in this moment, through and that resolution, comes from a non competitive mind. There you go, take it or leave it my friends. There is the truth.

In peace brothers

Andy B
We have tried to reconcile and mend differences, and keep it honest and civil. So we met the requirements of reconciliation. How ever reconciliation requires two or more parties to want to meet on the middle ground. If this does not occur, the it is also within the realm of budo to walk away or to stand up and stop the BS as well.

If I offer up the argument that says pigs can fly and then one comes back and says it is impossible because they don't have wings. I insist they can and then another person says a requirement would be that the need wings so therefore they can't. And I state well I never said they could actually fly, just that they could if they had wings. Another joims in and says, I have trained one to fly. Then one comes back and says no way prove it. I say you'd have to visit me and I dint have a pig right now. And the argument goes on. And then I go...pigs can fly, and then it starts all over again. Then another retorts my statement...I then say, well you are not open to seeing the fact that a pig can fly that is why you can't see it. Some one calls BS on it again. I pull the bully card out and claim that the anti pig flying people are picking on me that is not Aikido. Someone says what does flying pigs have to do with aikido. We deflect to a BS conversation about Aikido and how we need to all get along and that the anti pig fliers need to accept that it is possible for a pig to fly. Some one comes back and says they can't fly. I say I never said they could fly, just that it is possible if you can imagine it. If you open up your mind, you'd be able to see the possibilities and wouldn't it be great if a pig could fly! Okay prove they can fly, I am bringing the pig and u train him and show me he can fly. I state well I never said I could do it only that it is possible, I read about it and have talked to others s that say the same thing . I train my students in the basics of pig flying so if one day they meet a pig and they need to make him fly they will have the skills to do that. But you have never actually made one fly? No but I trained with someone that I cannot name that has taught many that have. Prove it! Why are u bullying me, that is unaiki!

Discussion ends with the anti pig fliers throwing their hands up in the air in utter exhaustion. A few weeks go by and then I start another thread that states why is it that people can't accept that it might be possible for a pig to fly?

Doesn't change the fact that a pig can't fly. There is no requirement for anyone to accept your theories of delusion. It is okay to say you are deluded, or a troll..and these are the reasons I believe this to be true. It is perfectly acceptable to categorize you as someone that has nothing or little value to add. It is perfectly acceptable to disengage from future conversations and refuse to give you an audience for future absurb debate. In a since I can refuse o let you on the mat.

The only requirements are that I attempt to reconcile and have an intelligent conversation. I do it civilly and respectfully, I make my stand and disengage once it starts to become negative.

Have a good day.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:07 AM   #150
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Graham wrote

Quote:
You ever heard the saying 'give them enough rope'?

A favorite of mine. Thus I let those few use what I say to misquote me, use what I say to try and find a discrepancy, use what I say to try prove something or other about me. Wow, what a game. What a waste. I am mischievous enough to give them more rope. I accept for some reason they must do it so carry on for at the end of the day egg on face springs to mind.
The basic definition of trolling in my opinion, which I am beginning to suspect is a big part of you modus operendi.