Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-09-2005, 08:02 AM   #1
Bugs
Cross-Training/Mixed-Discipline Fighting

Cross-Training/Mixed-Deispine (Underground) Fighting: Good or Bad?

Lately, the trend of mixed martial art fighting is appealing to a lot of menfolk (and womenfolk) the world over, giving birth to the trend of UNDERGROUND fighting.

As an academic project, me and some fellow college students here in the Philippines decided to make a feature article on this trend by observing its practice by some fellow Aikidokas - in the dojo itself (after sessions, of course).

I wanted to start this thread to pulse out from more experienced students and senseis their thoughts on this trend, and their opinion on whether this trend is better off "over-ground" rather than underground, or if it has character-building qualities that outweigh its negative qualities. Also, I wish to hear all other thoughts on this issue.

Thank you for your time.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:04 AM   #2
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain
Re: Cross-Training/Mixed-Discipline Fighting

Maybe because my limited English skills i don't fully understand your question.

I'm not sure MMA fighting (a sport) has caused an increase in underground fights. In fact, i'm not sure that there are more underground fighting now. Is there available data about number of underground fights to make a comparison?
Old 09-09-2005, 12:39 PM   #3
Chris Walla

United_States

Michael,
As far as I understand it "Martial arts are like paths to a mountain's summit, different paths (schools) all aproaching the same goal (the summit)." To go from one style to another is not so much an advancement but a lateral movement, slowing your ascent. The ability to mix different martial arts into one school can only be done by a true master of each art, and it takes a lifetime.
O' Sensei accomlished this.

The trend of mixed martial arts today seems to me to be patchworked. Many times I have been excited to see a sign for Aikido, only to be upset by the following words such as Kempo, Kunfu, Tai Chi for seniors, or any such amalgam. These schools are taking the long way to the top. If competition is included then they will have forgotten many things rom Budo: multiple ttackers, masakastu agatsu, etc.....
"Underground fighting" or illegal fighting is probably as old as gambling and civilization. In my opinion these people are not martial artists, but gladiators with rules. As far as bringing them "over-ground" that is a matter for law makers. But I would imagine that they would compare it to legitamizing the "black market".
Old 09-09-2005, 08:27 PM   #4
Chris Walla

United_States

Michael,

After thinking on it more, and evolution occurs, I must remember that there are no real definitions, like human behavior. What defines a fighting style? Where did our traditional arts originate? I wince at the goriness of raw human aggression. This is my own preference, sometimes I accept only what I think is right. "There is no one right way to live"(-Daniel Quinn). Underground fighting is different in each location, and held for many different reasons. I know that people will always come together for fighting knowledge, trying out this or that and keeping what works for them and removing what doesn't. And new arts will be born as they always have, quite Uniquely.
- Chris
Old 09-10-2005, 10:45 AM   #5
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Michael Anton Estipona wrote:
I wanted to start this thread to pulse out from more experienced students and senseis their thoughts on this trend, and their opinion on whether this trend is better off "over-ground" rather than underground, or if it has character-building qualities that outweigh its negative qualities.
IMHO, underground or above ground, purist or mixed discipline, these are not trends because they have always been here and always will be. The most important question is where and how you personally train.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 09-11-2005, 12:43 PM   #6
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

I am with Lynn. There is no "good" or "bad" only that which serves your goals/endstate. If it works for you, then it is good, if not then it is bad.

Each must look within and determine what works for them as a individual. It may take you a day to find, it may take you a lifetime.