Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-28-2001, 02:06 PM   #1
Mike Allen

Dojo: Ki No Kawa
Question Video taping classes, anyone have experience?

I have been taping our classes for the past few months, started seriously after our sensei began talking a lot about moving. I am hoping to eventually compile the tapes into something of an archive library of techniques. I think my main goal is to eventually go to a DVD format.

My main question is, has anyone done this before? If there are experienced people out there, I would very much like to hear their accounts and suggestions of what to do and especially what not to do.

Thanks in advance!
peace
Mike

Last edited by Mike Allen : 12-28-2001 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-28-2001, 02:58 PM   #2
davem
Dojo: Aikido of Reno
I'm a motion grpahics designer by trade, and I can provide a few simple pointers. Apply the concept of KISS, and do not, under no circumstances apply any music to the compilation. At the most maybe a low volume taiko underbeat, or something along that skein. No blink182, no daft punk (Although "one more time" could just be describing jiyu waza.) Do not use any funky little screen wipes or dissolving fades. Also, do not rush to completion of the project. And, my biggest suggestion would be to do the whole thing on the computer. As far as equipment suggestions would go, if you do not have a digital video camera, I would suggest using one of the 'cheaper' video capture cards from pinnacle. The pinnacle dv500+ can author multi chapter dvd's when used with a dvd burner. (600 dollar card however.)
Software, I would suggest using adobe premiere for video capturing, and adobe after effects for editing and any whizbangs you do want to use. Also if you feel so inclined, this program does wonderfully with blue screening.
Anything else, let me know if you have any questions, or you can email me at dave@convextion.com

Dave Mata
http://www.convextion.com
Old 12-28-2001, 03:29 PM   #3
Erik
I don't have any suggestions as I've only taped one seminar and believe me it shows.

What I really wanted to say that I think it's a great idea. I'm not sure of your intent but it would be a great gift to the students to be videotaped as well. If you do this I'm convinced you will significantly speed up the learning process. Nothing shows someone that they are leaning or using muscle quite like seeing themselves lean or use muscle.

Last edited by Erik : 12-28-2001 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-02-2002, 12:24 PM   #4
Mike Allen

Dojo: Ki No Kawa
Erik-

You are so right about seeing lots of "little things" when viewing tapes. I actually sat out a class a few weeks ago to "recover" fomr my recent test. That gave me the opportunity to be an observer and look/focus on the little things.

I spent most of the night marveling that the people who I tend to train with the most (and had just tested with me) continually do little things "wrong". I like to say "The concept is good, its just getting the body to co-operate thats the problem"

After that experience we have a few people talking about setting up a rotating system where one person will sit out, say once a month, and tape a particular student throughout class. This should give the taped student a really good idea of where they are technique/relaxation/focus wise.

Just make sure to check your ego at the door!

quick funny story about taping. We tape all of our seminars/tests and I had never actually watched my 2nd kyu test. I was over for dinner at my friends place and we decided to watch the tape (no idea why) all was going well until he goes "Ok, here comes the famous Mike shake!" I was really confused, and I had no idea that in between each technique in preperation for the next I would shake my hands (kind of like shaking water off) and settle in for the next attack. I must have been doing that for years and all it took was watching it once to stop it completely. Pretty good stuff.

peace
mike
Old 01-02-2002, 01:54 PM   #5
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Analyzing video of one's self is a great tool and is, IMHO, under-utilized.

Best,

Greg Jennings
Old 01-02-2002, 03:22 PM   #6
shihonage
United_States
I know that one person videotaped August's testing, which included my 5th kyu test, but I'm afraid to ask for the tape (so that I could make a copy and give it back)... because I don't want to appear vain... even though yes I am vain, but I want to see how my technique (or absence thereof) looks from the outside...
Old 01-02-2002, 04:13 PM   #7
guest1234
You should ask! They wouldn't make a tape if they didn't expect folks to want a copy...besides, they know it will help you work on the bugs---very few are SOOOO stellar on kyu tests that they CAN'T possibly find something to improve .

Personally, I wish someday I could be taped as uke. I'm not so far along that I need to worry about the fine points in my technique yet, but I do really wish I could work on the flaws in my ukemi. And since I don't feel much in the way of pain, I don't even have that helpful little hint that my falls are not right. Plus, it's difficult to judge how well I am attacking, if I'm leaving too many openings, am I focusing too much on nage's hands, etc. A picture is worth a thousand words...