Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-11-2017, 08:22 AM   #1
Mao Zi Shaung
United_States
Mat thickness and material for home practice?

Greetings.

Allow me to begin by apologizing if my question has already been answered elsewhere and preemptively thank y'all for your input.

I would like to purchase some mats to practice my ukemi in my home. Note that the space I will have to utilize is my basement/garage area.

Due to the hellspawn I act as father to, I plan to purchase a style that allows me to put them away when not in use in an effort to preserve their longevity.

My question is two-fold.

1) What thickness should I use on a concrete floor that has no other covering?
2) Are folding blue gym mats my best option for take out and put up? If not, what are my other options?
Old 05-11-2017, 09:06 AM   #2
lbb
United_States
Re: Mat thickness and material for home practice?

I'm not sure you can really solve the problem with thickness. The dojo where I train is built on concrete slab, and we have zebra mats on top of a layer of dense foam (like insulation foam). The top layer has more give, then underneath you have a layer that's much more firm but still somewhat forgiving. Maybe you can come up with something similar?
Old 05-12-2017, 11:49 AM   #3
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States

Folding mats are your best option. 4'x8' mats also will fit in the back seat of most cars if you need to take them somewhere.

If you are on a wooden floor then 1 3/8" or 1 1/2" is usually fine. On concrete you will need 2".
ANYTHING you can put under the mats will help buffer from the concrete - old carpet, old carpet pad, puzzle mats etc.

Most manufacturers will send you a small sample.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:32 AM   #4
TheOneNamedDan
Dojo: Portland Aikido
United_States

Tumbling mats are a good substitute if need be.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:43 PM   #5
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Jeff Patterson wrote: View Post
Greetings.

Allow me to begin by apologizing if my question has already been answered elsewhere and preemptively thank y'all for your input.

I would like to purchase some mats to practice my ukemi in my home. Note that the space I will have to utilize is my basement/garage area.

Due to the hellspawn I act as father to, I plan to purchase a style that allows me to put them away when not in use in an effort to preserve their longevity.

My question is two-fold.

1) What thickness should I use on a concrete floor that has no other covering?
2) Are folding blue gym mats my best option for take out and put up? If not, what are my other options?
I use at the dojo and home, both cement floors, the 4x8 Series 400 from Mancino Mats. Mine are the 1 3/8". Fold up nicely and are easy to transport.

https://www.mancinomats.com/martial-...-standard-1758

Image shown is the 6x12. Each panel is essentially 4' x 2', total of 4 panels which gives you the 4'x8'.

Last edited by Steven : 07-25-2017 at 04:49 PM.