Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-29-2014, 11:00 AM   #1
Garth Jones
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States
Ron Rubin, co-founder of Aikido Today Magazine, passes away

Sad news. Mary Heiny Sensei asked me to post this to aikiweb:

Obituary for Ronald Rubin

Ronald Rubin, co-founder of Aikido Today Magazine and Musubi Dojo passed away on October 22. At his side was his wife Susan Perry.

Ron was a Professor of Philosophy who taught at Pitzer College in the Claremont Colleges for 43 years. He and his wife Susan began their Aikido training in 1978 at a local class. They soon became members of Rod Kobayashi Sensei's Seidokan dojo in Los Angeles. They started Musubi Dojo with several Aikido friends in 1982. As the others left, Ron and Susan continued the mission of the dojo as co-chief instructors. Ron and Susan then started Aikido Today Magazine in 1987. They were a very close team working to connect the Aikido world through publishing the magazine and by creating a large dojo to host a variety of teachers starting with Saotome and Ikeda Senseis.

Ron also wrote over 20 articles about Aikido and served as commentator for the American Philosophical Association's Philosophy and Martial Arts. He co-edited Aikido Talks and produced 12 instructional DVDs writing and reading the narration for them.

In 2007 Ron was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and given weeks to live. 7 years later, after enduring multiple chemo therapy treatments, he finally stopped treatment and peacefully left us. Ron said that he believed his Aikido training in how to flow Ki enabled him to deal with chemo therapy and last so long. While receiving both standard and alternative therapies he was able to continue teaching his academic and Aikido classes.

I knew Ron for nearly 30 years. He loved Osensei and Aikido. He had a brilliant mind, a shy personality and great sense of humour. He was devoted to his wife and his academic and Aikido students. He was grateful to all his teachers and for the opportunity to share what he had learned.

We miss you Ron.

Mary Heiny
Old 10-29-2014, 11:54 AM   #2
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England
Re: Ron Rubin, co-founder of Aikido Today Magazine, passes away

I am sadly shocked to hear the news of the passing of Ronald Rubin Sensei, I offer my condolences to Susan Perry and their family members and students.

I never met either Ron or Susan, but I did have the pleasure in communicating with them both over the years.

I was a fan of the magazine ` Aikido Today ` - I felt privileged to have had three articles published in AT magazine. I also contributed a small item on Kenshiro Abbe Sensei to their book ` Aikido Talks `.
My prayers are with Susan at this time.

Henry Ellis
Co-author ` Positive Aikido`
http://britishaikido.blogspot.com/
Old 10-29-2014, 04:05 PM   #3
aikishihan
Dojo: aikido academy/alhambra,california
United_States

Both Ron Rubin and Susan Perry were important pioneers in attempting to preserve the Founder's message at a time of mixed passions and attitudes.

Condolences to family and supporters, and may Rubin Sensei Rest in the Peace he so richly earned.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:51 PM   #4
Janet Rosen

Oh I'm so very sorry to read of this. The magazine Ron and Susan published did so much to present Aikido in a positive way and across doctrinal lines. My condolences to Susan Perry and to all his family, friends and students.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 10-29-2014, 06:32 PM   #5
crbateman

This is very sad news. Deepest condolences.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:48 PM   #6
Dave Gallagher
Dojo: Shobukan Dojo, St.Louis
United_States

When I began my training I read Aikido Journal and Aikido Today Magazine and knew of Ron and Susan as publishers of it and them as Aikidoka. I still have a number of issues laying around.
I was sad to hear this news.

It is the duty of the strong to protect the weak.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
Susan Dalton
Dojo: Greensboro Kodokan

I am so sorry to hear this news. Susan and Ron sponsored me to do a "Return to Industry" my college was offering, which gave me my first chance to write about Aikido. I never met Ron or Susan in person and usually communicated with Susan, but my goodness, what a brilliant editor Ron was. He could re-situate one sentence and make an entire article come to life. My deepest sympathy to Susan and their family.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:36 PM   #8
Robert Cowham
Dojo: East Sheen Aikido and Kashima No Tachi

Sad news indeed - I enjoyed ATM immensely - my condolences.