Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-13-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
Rich Toshney
United Kingdom
Any suggested training dvd's for a beginner?

Hi all,

As the title implies, I'm a beginner having just started training in Tamworth in the UK.

I would be keen to find out if there are any suitable training DVD's which folks could recommend as a study aid for the technical as opposed to spiritual aspects.

Many thanks in advance,
Rich
Old 01-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
Janet Rosen

Re: Any suggested training dvd's for a beginner?

I would suggest checking in with your dojo because many of the available technical dvds are specific to a style or instructor, and as a newbie you would find it very confusing to, say, be training in a Yoshinkan dojo and watching Aikikai dvds, or vice versa.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 01-13-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Ditto. Many dojo can let your borrow or you can buy dvd's from them.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
Rich Toshney
United Kingdom

Thanks folks,

The style of my Dojo is Iwama I believe, however I can see the validity of what you're saying. I trained in Tae Kwon Do previously with WTF and ITF styles being markedly different.

No harm in asking though

Rich
Old 01-13-2010, 03:12 PM   #5
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

I found the DVD, "The art of falling", To be extremely helpful to me in learning ukemi.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

If you are training in Iwama style, Aikido Journal On-Line has a full selection of DVDs of Saito Sensei - they are terrific. Ellis Amdur Sensei has a great DVD on ukemi that I highly recommend.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 01-13-2010, 04:26 PM   #7
Chris Farnham
Dojo: Aikido of Champlain Valley/Hamamatsu Aikidokai/Aikido Shidokai
United_States

If you are Iwama style than your best bet would be the Takemusu Aikido videos by Saito Sensei . Chiba Sensei is also a big influence on Aikido in Britain so it might be helpful for you to check out some of his videos too at some point. But if your dojo is Iwama lineage, I would stick with Saito for now to avoid confusion.

Last edited by Chris Farnham : 01-13-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:18 PM   #8
Fred Little
Dojo: NJIT Budokai
United_States

If what you're looking for is video dealing with technique, I would strongly suggest that you consult your current instructor to find the resource that is the most exemplary in terms of the lineage in which you train.

That said, the development of martial technique depends on skill in the art of ukemi. In that respect, without regard to the lineage in which you train, there's no question in my mind whatsoever: Ellis Amdur's Ukemi from the Ground Up

You will be doing your body a huge favor without sacrificing any martial efficacy or adopting a system of ukemi that inevitably compromises your training partners' martial efficacy, and the longer you train, the clearer the benefit will become.

Best regards,

Fred Little

Old 01-14-2010, 12:45 AM   #9
Rich Toshney
United Kingdom

Thanks all,

I'll have a chat with my instructor and I'll mention the Saito Sensei dvd's to him.

Thanks again,
Rich
Old 01-14-2010, 01:21 AM   #10
yankeechick

Hi Rich,

I agree that your instructor is the best referral source. However, I've found that the aikikai 5th kyu is pretty good, for the following reason:

1. It goes through basic rolls.
2. He talks about how important footwork and hand position are.
3. His terminology is easy to understand.
4. Here is where the concept of "positioning" and "opening" will be introduced to you.

I submit that while you can watch all DVD's you want, you will not learn technique from a DVD.

I respectfully suggest that you avoid the DVDs for now, until you get used to your instructor's language (how he explains the technique and the terms he uses (or she LOL). The best way to get confused is to try to learn from DVDs. They are informational and reference, when you have some context with which to understand
the information the DVD's provide.

You will learn from working with different training partners (of varied physical sizes), practice, practice and more practice. It's fun, when you discover the nuances of a technique and the way you perform it. I've also found that we all perform technique a wee-bit different, because we make adjustments for our body size, the training partner. Again, just my opinion based upon my experience and watching how my fellow dojo partners practice - not law by any means

BUT (LMAO)..Saito (IWAMA) is excellent, par none. Aikikai is easier to understand and integrates some saito movement (at least I think so).

I went on a bender one month and got Aikikai 1st - 3rd Volume, Morihiro Saito's lost seminars (two of them), Yoshikan volumes 1 - 3, Dr. Ah Li Loi, performing Shodokan Aikido. I love my collection, but it took me two years to really understand the differences between them.

I hope this helps a bit more....
Old 01-14-2010, 04:40 AM   #11
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary

Quote:
Richard Toshney wrote: View Post
Hi all,

As the title implies, I'm a beginner having just started training in Tamworth in the UK.

I would be keen to find out if there are any suitable training DVD's which folks could recommend as a study aid for the technical as opposed to spiritual aspects.

Many thanks in advance,
Rich
As the others have pointed out, styles have their differences which may confuse you at the beginning -

Having said that, I enjoyed Aikido 3D whenever I first started out... I just wish they had more techniques on there, as its limited to that styles testing system and ours is a bit different.

Peace

dAlen

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com
Old 01-14-2010, 04:53 AM   #12
dalen7

Hungary

Quote:
Antonia Williams wrote: View Post

I submit that while you can watch all DVD's you want, you will not learn technique from a DVD.
Indeed, a lot of the subtleties of what actually makes the technique work can easily be missing, and its easier to have live instruction at the beginning to help you better understand these points.

[again, the whole question of what making a technique work means is a whole different story with Aikido.]

After you gain certain concepts the DVDs become more useful... though live practice with Aikido really is what helps the most in understanding what does and doesnt work.

Peace

dAlen

p.s.
I will add I do enjoying learning the differences between the systems... or rather trying to figure out what they have in common, which turns out to be what makes the techniques from each style 'work'.

Last edited by dalen7 : 01-14-2010 at 05:01 AM.

dAlen [day•lynn]

Art

Philosophical
Old 01-14-2010, 07:33 AM   #13
lbb
United_States

Richard, if I were you, before spending any money on DVDs, I'd look at some vids on youtube -- maybe some people here can recommend them. My reason for suggesting this is not because you may be able to get a freebie on youtube (which is controversial, and for good reason), but just to find out if video learning is really for you. Watch some vids first, see if the medium even works for you as a mode of instruction before you spend money on it.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:34 AM   #14
dalen7

Hungary

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Richard, if I were you, before spending any money on DVDs, I'd look at some vids on youtube -- maybe some people here can recommend them. My reason for suggesting this is not because you may be able to get a freebie on youtube (which is controversial, and for good reason), but just to find out if video learning is really for you. Watch some vids first, see if the medium even works for you as a mode of instruction before you spend money on it.
True Mary,

I saw some Yoshinkan Aikido clips that were really cool.
The structure was something that drew my attention and which I liked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNbiiKpuv8k
well the above clip is in Japanese, but there is an English version... this is just an example, anyway.

Peace

dAlen

dAlen [day•lynn]

Art

Philosophical
Old 01-14-2010, 11:23 AM   #15
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Onegaishimasu
I have been training in aikido for 25 years and I still like to watch the invaluable ukemi dvds by Donovan Waite Sensei.

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 01-15-2010, 12:51 PM   #16
gtaba
Dojo: Riverside Aikikai
United_States

It's my belief that the DVD's put out by the Shihan are great (Personally I rate Saito Sensei's as one of my top three). However, I don't believe that, as a beginner, that's the best course of action to turn to. They are very entertaining and educational, possibly one of the best resources to brush up quickly on any given technique.

But as a beginner, I found that without an instructor present to work with you, any student has the risk of developing bad habits and trying to emulate what they see on the screen. In contrast, if you work through something with another individual and a yudansha or sensei or just a senpai helping you, the DVD can only get you so far.

So, if you're dead set on getting a DVD, i agree with Ms. Rosen, Ashley Carter, try to find one within your affiliation/style.

But in the end, I find myself agreeing with Mr. Dalen Johnson the most...try to get the basic concepts before turning to a DVD.

Good luck in your training and keep at it!

-Greg T.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #17
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

There are video's on my website for free. They are strongly Iwama influenced.

http://www.aikidostudent.com

Old 01-15-2010, 05:46 PM   #18
BlueDevilfish
Dojo: World Aikido Yoga - Melbourne
Australia

I am a begginner and agree with what others have said in relation to differences in style and technique on various DVDs. However I was struggling a bit to remember the steps of jo suburi so I asked my sensei for his recommendation. He suggested the Saito DVDs for jo and ken. I have to say being able to slowly follow the steps in my own home over and over has made a big difference for me. I really feel like I have got a grasp on these techniques that I didn't have before.

However I am always aware that there may be some difference between what my sensei teaches and what is in the DVDs so I keep an open mind.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:15 PM   #19
dalen7

Hungary

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
There are video's on my website for free. They are strongly Iwama influenced.

http://www.aikidostudent.com
cool, thanks for the link - looking at them now.

peace

dAlen

dAlen [day•lynn]

Art

Philosophical
Old 01-15-2010, 07:40 PM   #20
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote: View Post
Onegaishimasu
I have been training in aikido for 25 years and I still like to watch the invaluable ukemi dvds by Donovan Waite Sensei.

In gassho,

Mark
I second this recommendation.