Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-05-2003, 10:16 PM   #1
Topper1296
Just took my first class

I just completed my first Aikido class this evening. I was fun and cool. I felt a little lost at times, but that is to be expected. There were 3 new people there and one of the other guys is a 3rd degree black belt in TKD so I think he picked up on it faster than I did. The instructor and the other students were very friendly and made me feel welcome. I know that I need to practice the very basics a lot more. Learning the rules of the dojo and how to say the "words" in Aikido will take some getting use to as well. I was suprised to see so many advanced students in with the rookies like myself, but I am glad they were there. They helped me out several times, but I still screwed up several times and I felt kinda bad at times because I felt like they weren't getting there "money's worth." I guess I shouldn't think like that however because I know that they were in my shoes at some point in time. Overall, I had fun and I can't wait for the next class
Old 05-05-2003, 10:44 PM   #2
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX
Hi Brad

Welcome to the cool world of training in Aikido.

You mentioned training with senior students in your beginners group. Is there a division between?

We have a smaall dojo with all students in one class........west texas is not the center of the aikido world.

That means that the seniors or "sempai" are doing the very same basic techniques as the junior students are. (good to re-work on the basics)

You will also, on the other hand, be able to work on the more advanced techniques as your ukemi or breakfalls get to where you can handle them. also

Enjoy!

Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 05-05-2003, 10:56 PM   #3
Joseph Huebner

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo / Battle Creek, MI
Greetings and Welcome!

Joseph Huebner

If you think you can, you will. If you think you won't, you're right.
Old 05-06-2003, 12:57 AM   #4
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands
Welcome Brad,

enjoy and train

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 05-06-2003, 02:02 AM   #5
Daniel Mills

Dojo: Kokyu Aikido Association.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Aikido, Brad

I've done twelve sessions now, and still feel lost most of the time. The learning of technique names, and all, will seem quite intimidating, and I thought I'd really struggle with remembering them, seeing as I do generally have quite an abysmal memory..

However..

As you get used to doing techniques, you'll begin to associate the word/name with them, and then suddenly.. it'll all begin to make sense..

After just under a month of training, I can now rattle off the names of the techniques I've been working on for my first grading

It'll all come, fear not.

You may also find that, those who have been helping you, or taken time to slow things down and spend time correcting your techniques, and giving constructive advice... *whispers* actually truly enjoy doing so! You're as much of a challenge to them, as the highest of Dans, so don't feel bad at all

Good luck with your training!

Best,

-D.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:40 AM   #6
DCP

Dojo: Inaka Dojo
<<They helped me out several times, but I still screwed up several times and I felt kinda bad at times because I felt like they weren't getting there "money's worth.">>

Don't feel this way. It is their responsibility to work with you and help you. Some day you will have the same responsibility.

Enjoy . . .

A crust eaten in peace is better than a banquet partaken in anxiety.
- Aesop
Old 05-06-2003, 07:41 AM   #7
SmilingNage
United_States
Everyones technique is in constant state of refinement. So the process never stops. Dont view things as done poorly or wrongly or bad. Consider the help as making more efficient use of your movement and technique. There is no wrong technique, There are just more efficient ways for techniques to manifest themselves.

Dont make me, make you, grab my wrist.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:11 AM   #8
sanosuke
Dojo: Seigi Dojo
Indonesia
Hi Brad,

Welcome and enjoy your training, may the ki be with you...
Old 05-06-2003, 08:53 AM   #9
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada
Re: Just took my first class

Hey, Brad! Congrats and welcome!
Quote:
Brad Walker (Topper1296) wrote:
They helped me out several times, but I still screwed up several times and I felt kinda bad at times because I felt like they weren't getting there "money's worth." I guess I shouldn't think like that however because I know that they were in my shoes at some point in time.
Ahhh; don't worry about it; you're absolutely right, everyone else started at the beginning too. As for the people teaching you not 'getting their money's worth', understand one thing: you're helping them far more than you know. I don't know of any senior student or instructor who doesn't love helping beginners. First; it's a lot of fun. Second; it gives us a chance to share knowledge (And yes; show off just a wee bit. ) 3rd; it helps us with our own technique. By helping and correcting a newcomer; we can identify problems in our own technique and correct ourselves.

Enjoy!

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:15 AM   #10
akiy

Hi Brad,

Welcome to aikido and to AikiWeb!

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 05-06-2003, 09:18 AM   #11
Carl Simard
Re: Re: Just took my first class

Quote:
Dave Organ (DaveO) wrote:
3rd; it helps us with our own technique. By helping and correcting a newcomer; we can identify problems in our own technique and correct ourselves.
I agree 100% with you. At the last class, I was matched with two lower ranked students to help them prepare their 5th kyu exam. And let me tell you that doing the technique correctly is something, showing it and correct other peoples mistakes are totally diffrent things.

It forces the more experienced guy to actually "think" the technique, which is a different kind of training that's very instructive from time to time, thinking what makes the technique works and what don't.
Old 05-06-2003, 01:26 PM   #12
William Boyd
Dojo: Aikido of Reno
Hi Brad,

Welcome to the world of aikido. Just train and have fun and you'll learn the aikido stuff in time.

Old 05-06-2003, 02:04 PM   #13
Dave Miller

Dojo: UCO Budo Society
Talking Greetings and welcome:

Brad, you mentioned feeling a bit green your first day on the mat. Ray Crock, the founder of McDonald's had a saying:
  • "When you're green you're growing and when you ripen you begin to rot."
Don't be afraid to feel green for a long time, dude. Just allow that feeling to push you to train hard and remain teachable and you'll make a fine aikidoka.

DAVE

If you're working too hard, you're doing it wrong.
Old 05-06-2003, 02:46 PM   #14
Jim ashby
Dojo: Phoenix Coventry
I still feel green after 12 years or so. Hey, don't feel bad, there are people in our organisation that feel the same way that I do after 30 years. If there is no sense of wonder in your day-to-day practice, don't do it. However, from what you've said, I feel that the sense of wonder will never go away.

Have fun.

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 05-06-2003, 03:53 PM   #15
Dave Miller

Dojo: UCO Budo Society
Quote:
James Ashby (Jim ashby) wrote:
If there is no sense of wonder in your day-to-day practice, don't do it.
Good word, James.

DAVE

If you're working too hard, you're doing it wrong.