Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-26-2001, 10:07 AM   #1
BC
Ai symbol

From what I understand, I'm not alone in saying that occasionally I actually am able to perform aikido techniques "just right." At this point for me its more the exception rather than the rule, but that's one reason I keep trying - so I can eventually get the techniques "right" more. So, my question is: which technique or techniques do you feel that you perform just right more often than others?

For instance, this week I was able to do a tsuki iriminage (once) better than I can ever remember. It was funny because while I was doing it, I had this amazing feeling of "WOW!" for the whole three or four seconds it lasted. Of course, for the rest of class all I did was struggle to do it again - unsuccessfully! Regards.

Robert Cronin
Old 01-26-2001, 01:52 PM   #2
SeiWhat?!?
Dojo: Long Beach State Univ. Seidokan Aikido Club
Talking

The run away technique.
Other than that, I have yet to do a technique that was "just right" consistently and daily. Why can't my ukes all attack in the exact same way?
That's why I keep training, and training, and training...

Best advise I've ever received:
"Don't just stand there, do SOMETHING! The fact that you may have failed doesn't matter, it's HOW you failed. Go down swingin'."

Scott Tanaka
Old 01-26-2001, 02:46 PM   #3
Matt Banks
I was sparring with a tkd guy on a masters day. I kept on taking him out with a swift tenkan when he came in, and followed by a sokomen iriminage.

Eventually he stopped trying to do high kicks on me...

Matt Banks

''Zanshin be aware hold fast your centre''
Old 01-26-2001, 04:34 PM   #4
DiNalt
Yes I notice that "struggling to do it right again" involves trying to remember how I did it last time, instead of adopting to how it's going right *now*, which in turn causes it not to work

Ikkyo is probably the boldest example of that, in my case.

Quote:
BC wrote:
From what I understand, I'm not alone in saying that occasionally I actually am able to perform aikido techniques "just right." At this point for me its more the exception rather than the rule, but that's one reason I keep trying - so I can eventually get the techniques "right" more. So, my question is: which technique or techniques do you feel that you perform just right more often than others?

For instance, this week I was able to do a tsuki iriminage (once) better than I can ever remember. It was funny because while I was doing it, I had this amazing feeling of "WOW!" for the whole three or four seconds it lasted. Of course, for the rest of class all I did was struggle to do it again - unsuccessfully! Regards.
Old 02-12-2001, 12:47 AM   #5
gadsmf@aol.com
Dojo: Kokoro,Tucson
Cool

Sankyo and kote gaeshe I find easy to understand and often feel very natural
to execute. Irimi nage I find flat out
imposible. Wether slow or fast, with a tall uke of short uke, I can never keep my balance.

DL Gadd
Old 02-12-2001, 02:58 AM   #6
Fabris
Dojo: Nakatami Dojo
Wink

I'm still such a beginer to know why, but for me sometimes shiho nage feels so good! I think the key to it is the turn. Good balance while turning = good Ki.

Fabrício Lemos, Brazil

PAX!
Old 02-12-2001, 04:57 AM   #7
andrew
Dojo: NUI, Galway Aikido Club.
Quote:
gadsmf@aol.com wrote:
, I can never keep my balance.
Have you tried it reeeeaaaaaallllllly slow?
andrew
Old 02-13-2001, 02:52 AM   #8
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
I'm pretty good at bowing - but I still need practice.

Apart from that I never really get any technique 'right'. Usually when some technique is really 'happening' for me my sensei walks up to me and say a few words that completely ruins everything - and I just love it.

However - if it HAVE to choose I would say Shihonage. It's just great.

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 02-13-2001, 07:34 AM   #9
Brian Vickery
Dojo: Aiki-Buken Aikido
United_States
Thumbs down

....here's another vote for Shihonage! ...that one just comes together for me more than any other technique.

...of course on the opposite end of the spectrum for me is ikkyo! RATZ!!!!

Brian Vickery

"The highest level of technique to achieve is that of having NO technique!"
Old 03-03-2001, 03:40 PM   #10
paul spawforth
Dojo: wakefield tomiki aikido club
Thumbs down

I also find irimi-nage a great technique, as your uke plunges headlong into a complete void of off balance and then goes helplessly flying around you as you taisabaki before stepping through and dropping him to the mat!! When you get the timing absolutely spot on I think it is probably one of the most beautifully flowing aikido techniques!!! AND IT FEELS GREAT!!!

Paul
Yorkshire
ENGLAND

Old 03-05-2001, 08:30 AM   #11
lyam
Ikkyo is my favorite. It is one of the few techniques that just feels right. Like threading a needle. And the least effective technique in my repertoire... Irimi Nage. Bleah.
---
sean farrell
Old 03-16-2001, 10:51 PM   #12
marga
Thumbs down kotegaishe

i love the feeling of dropping in to my center with uke's hand and them totally off balance. it's wicked cool.
Old 03-17-2001, 03:45 AM   #13
Jim ashby
Dojo: Phoenix Coventry
Best technique

I love, just love Tenchinage. When it goes really well you are back in posture while Uke is rolling around your hip,Sweet!! My Sensei does a really wicked Iriminage which is great fun to receive. Come and try it.
Have fun.

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 03-17-2001, 08:47 AM   #14
Axiom
Dojo: TC Aikido Center
Smile Ura tenchinage

I love the feeling of this technique, especially when you have a good uke who feeds you enough energy through the grab. Its so beautiful to watch, too.

I also liked ikkyo ura a lot, as you just sorta plunk away uke's balance when you do it right(sorta rarely for me, but when it works, it works).

The one technique I never did terribly well with was shihonage, omote or ura. I think its probably because I'm so tall(almost 6 feet), and so I have the hardest time getting under uke's arm. Its also probably the reason I'm pretty good at ikkyo, so I'm not complaining.

Alex Magidow
Who wishes this damned winter would end, and money would fall out of the sky so he could finally start taking aikido again without dropping ballet....anyone wanna contribute to the Alex Magidow Grant for, um, Research of Japanese Martial Arts?

_________
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind
-- Gandhi
Old 04-03-2001, 10:53 PM   #15
Arunabha Sengupta
Dojo: Calcutta Judo Club Dojo
Thumbs down

My vote would be Shiho Nage and Kotegaeshi.
However, I am least proficient in Yoko Irimi Nage and somehow also find Tenchi Nage difficult.

Avoid rather than Check,
Check rather than Hurt,
Hurt rather than Maim,
Maim rather than Kill