Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-11-2010, 01:41 AM   #1
guest1234567
Spain
Real aikido is not just for the dojo

Niall Matthews wrote it in another thread and I agree with him.
Aikido is a way of life.
I'm new here and perhaps you treat this item before. I hope I can explain what I mean, in spanish or german it would be easier for me, it is a challenge to do it in english and I know that stepwise I will refresh this language again.
In our first aikidoclasses we are confused trying to understand anything between the rare movements and the strange words.
But after a few years we realize that the movements give sense and we notice a change in our behaviour, we become much calmer, organized and see every problem from a certain distance.
As a shodan we get a responsibility as a person, a human beeing in all our acts and our behaviour during the rest of our life.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:18 AM   #2
lbb
United_States
Re: Real aikido is not just for the dojo

"A way of life"? What does that mean? Does it mean that you live in a dojo? Does it mean that you give up your job and become an uchideshi?
Old 10-11-2010, 06:48 AM   #3
WilliB
Dojo: Minato Aikikai
Japan

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
"A way of life"? What does that mean? Does it mean that you live in a dojo? Does it mean that you give up your job and become an uchideshi?
:-)

New-age pontificating about how aiki all your life is getting, I`d rather expect, wouldn`t you?
Old 10-11-2010, 06:48 AM   #4
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Carina Reinhardt wrote: View Post
As a shodan we get a responsibility as a person, a human beeing in all our acts and our behaviour during the rest of our life.
Carina, pleaaaaase! This is not the 'aikiflorum'.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:03 AM   #5
niall
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Japan

Quote:
...we notice a change in our behaviour, we become much calmer, organized and see every problem from a certain distance.
That's a nice description, Carina. Wow! Some negativity coming out, though! Don't worry about it.

Aikido helps you become centred, relaxed and aware in all aspects of your life. If you want to be, of course. Some people may not want to be and that's cool too.

we can make our minds so like still water, and so live for a moment with a clearer, perhaps even with a fiercer life
w b yeats

aikiweb blog|wordpress blog
Old 10-11-2010, 07:24 AM   #6
dps

Quote:
Niall Matthews wrote it in another thread and I agree with him.
Aikido is a way of life.
I'm new here and perhaps you treat this item before. I hope I can explain what I mean, in spanish or german it would be easier for me, it is a challenge to do it in english and I know that stepwise I will refresh this language again.
In our first aikidoclasses we are confused trying to understand anything between the rare movements and the strange words.
But after a few years we realize that the movements give sense and we notice a change in our behaviour, we become much calmer, organized and see every problem from a certain distance.
I think you expressed yourself very well and I understand and agree with what you are saying.

But it does not happen to everyone who does Aikido.

David
Old 10-11-2010, 07:30 AM   #7
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Niall Matthews wrote: View Post
Aikido helps you become centred, relaxed and aware in all aspects of your life. If you want to be, of course. Some people may not want to be and that's cool too.
I hear it also cures male pattern baldness and bad breath, too.

I'm going to turn the question back to you, Niall. If people don't see aikido as a "way of life" (or even, like me, ask what that is supposed to mean), why do you assume that that means that they simply "don't want" all this groovy wonderfulness? Maybe we're skeptical -- and maybe with good reason; grandiose claims are a dime a dozen in the martial arts. Questioning them is prudent.

So I ask again: what makes aikido a "way of life"? Do you have to give up your job and your family and become a full-time live-in student? If you don't, how can you call it a "way of life"? For those of us who don't live in the dojo, aikido does not prescribe the answer to many of our day to day situations. I've got to write some marketing junk for work today -- I'm not going to learn how to do that in the dojo. After work, I've got to clean out my shed, and despite the protestations of those who believe that every step they take is tai sabaki and every movement they make is an aikido technique...it isn't, it's just cleaning a shed. I could work a broom before I ever walked in a dojo, and the dojo hasn't taught me how to do it better or differently.

Why is there a need to fancy up the activities of daily living with this aikido embroidery? Why is there a need to imagine aikido as a "way of life"?

"'Let's work without theorizing,' sais Martin; 'It's the only way to make life bearable.'"

- Candide
Old 10-11-2010, 07:33 AM   #8
guest1234567
Spain

Quote:
hahaha, no I don't live in a dojo
For me it is a way of life as a deeper sense, to act like you are a shodan always, at home and at work, it is very difficult for me to explain it, I think only Niall understood what I tried to explain..
Demetrio I know this is not the aikiforum but my thoughts and feeling are the same. I am very impressed of the knowledge the people who are writing here have, also yours. I'm here to learn
It is very interesting to read all you write, I told this a virtual friend from Caracas, maybe it encourages him to register also..
sunny regards from the island of the eternal spring
Old 10-11-2010, 07:58 AM   #9
niall

Japan

Hi, Mary. I said that aikido helps you become centred, relaxed and aware in all aspects of your life. That's pretty simple - not fancy at all. That centredness is there if you want it. If you don't - hey, it's your life. I don't want to convince you of anything. If aikido ends at the dojo door for you that's cool. But one day you might surprise yourself. If you keep doing aikido I'm pretty sure you will. Regards, Niall

we can make our minds so like still water, and so live for a moment with a clearer, perhaps even with a fiercer life
w b yeats

Old 10-11-2010, 08:36 AM   #10
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

It's a way of life for me too. And considering all the wonderful choices I have as an American like for example,,, Tea Party Hater...Ignorant Stooge of Glenn Beck or Rush Limbaugh...John Wayne Pretender...it's a really good choice LOL

There are so many illusions in the world that folks can cling to in order to give their life meaning Aikido can be one of those (aka the thread on "Japanizing") but hey who said the process of becoming who you are isn't full of delusion?

Good Luck and perhaps we'll run into each other as we travel the same journey.

William Hazen
Old 10-11-2010, 08:53 AM   #11
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

I prefer to practice fantasy, non-organic, politically incorrect Aikido in my sleep on the sixth Sunday of every month outside of the dojo .

Marc Abrams
Old 10-11-2010, 09:11 AM   #12
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain

Is Aikido's "way of life" better than chess' way of life, or flight attendant's way of life, or clerk's way of life? Why is that Aikido is that magical thinggy? Oh, yes. Because that's what we do.

If you played bolleyball then bolleyball would be a way of life. How new age. Don't play aikiflorum here, Carina. Please.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:31 AM   #13
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
For me it is a way of life as a deeper sense, to act like you are a shodan always, at home and at work, it is very difficult for me to explain it,
Hakama superpowers activate!!!
Old 10-11-2010, 09:34 AM   #14
niall

Japan

Wow all the people who don't want us to be relaxed or centred in our lives. If people want to post their views of aikido that's cool. That's what the forums are for. Mary doesn't agree but at least she's trying to understand and is asking serious questions. What's all the negative stuff? And sarcasm. Not much harmony going on there then. And not giving a very warm welcome to a new member. Well as long as you have a laugh.

Just so I know are all you guys trying to tell me that you do aikido and you don't feel centred in your life? Maybe there are more efficient ways to train.

w b yeats

Old 10-11-2010, 09:59 AM   #15
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Niall, you're reaching conclusions without having all the data.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:04 AM   #16
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Willi Brix wrote: View Post
:-)

New-age pontificating about how aiki all your life is getting, I`d rather expect, wouldn`t you?
I took it to mean "[Authentic] aikido is not just for the dojo" and can shape our lives in at least a few ways.

Quote:
Mary wrote:
...what makes aikido a "way of life"?
Speaking for myself of course, I think a way of life is anything which provides guiding principles we use to shape our lives. For me, skiing is just as much a way of life as aikido. Of course they're pretty different. Aikido is far more formalized and codefied, but they both serve as great lenses to apply to the solitary path that is this life of mine.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 10-11-2010, 10:05 AM   #17
WilliB
Dojo: Minato Aikikai
Japan

Quote:
William Hazen wrote: View Post
It's a way of life for me too. And considering all the wonderful choices I have as an American like for example,,, Tea Party Hater...Ignorant Stooge of Glenn Beck or Rush Limbaugh...John Wayne Pretender...it's a really good choice LOL
There are even better choices... you could be an educated connossiur of Ed Schulz, a Keith Olberman lover, a deep Chris Matthews thinker, an Obama youth corps organizers... life offers so much. Why dispair?
Old 10-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #18
mathewjgano

United_States

Quote:
Wow all the people who don't want us to be relaxed or centred in our lives.
I don't get the sense folks are saying this, but I would agree there is always an interesting amount of cynicism that goes with topics like this. My meager opinion is that it's largely a matter of taste in rhetoric...I'm betting no one would disagree with the specific examples that were provided, though they might offer counter-points as a cautionary device.

Last edited by mathewjgano : 10-11-2010 at 10:25 AM.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 10-11-2010, 10:44 AM   #19
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Wow all the people who don't want us to be relaxed or centred in our lives.
And:

Quote:
Just so I know are all you guys trying to tell me that you do aikido and you don't feel centred in your life? .
That's an assumptive question if ever there is one. People have questions about (or disagreements with) OP's statement that if you're doing "real aikido", you're also doing it outside the dojo...and you decide this is tantamount to stating that they don't feel centered in their lives and don't want to. Do you see where this can scrape people the wrong way?
Old 10-11-2010, 10:46 AM   #20
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
Speaking for myself of course, I think a way of life is anything which provides guiding principles we use to shape our lives. For me, skiing is just as much a way of life as aikido.
But you've only got one life. So which is your "way of life": aikido or skiing?
Old 10-11-2010, 10:57 AM   #21
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

Quote:
Willi Brix wrote: View Post
There are even better choices... you could be an educated connossiur of Ed Schulz, a Keith Olberman lover, a deep Chris Matthews thinker, an Obama youth corps organizers... life offers so much. Why dispair?
Who's despairing? LOL I practice Aikido as a way of life.

Life is lived in color not black and white...

William Hazen
Old 10-11-2010, 11:30 AM   #22
mathewjgano

United_States

Quote:
But you've only got one life. So which is your "way of life": aikido or skiing?
I would describe them both as being aspects of my way of life. One doesn't necessarily preclude the other...or maybe more to the point, it depends on the situation as to which might. I would argue everyone has a unique expression of any given way, which implies to me that all ways of life are subservient to individual way of life.
So in other words, i don't think one has to devote one's life to aikido to include aikido as "a" way of life...never mind periods of time where one might simply want to make it the only "way" they try to emulate.

Last edited by mathewjgano : 10-11-2010 at 11:44 AM.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 10-11-2010, 12:20 PM   #23
guest1234567
Spain

Coming back from office and I finding all this posts.
It is normal that most of you don't understand and a pity to realize that you are practising that long but probably will never understand.
Niall,David, William, Mathew thank you for your understanding, in the often named Aikiforum there was only one who understood, but he travels almost every year to Japan:
Demetrio, I'sorry you don't understand me, you are a teacher and have a great knowledge, maybe lack of sensibility.
Alejandro repeat what Demetrio already wrote, lack of imagination and I don't think you will ever understand
And Mary I'll try to explain in your words:Do you have to give up your job and your family and become a full-time live-in student? No Mary making Aikido a way of life you will do your job better, you will become centredness, also atending your family, not getting nervous when everybody wants something from you as fast as possible, you will do one thing after the other, will order them by priority. Perhaps if you ask me more things I can explain better
Old 10-11-2010, 12:33 PM   #24
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Demetrio, I'sorry you don't understand me, you are a teacher and have a great knowledge, maybe lack of sensibility.
I understand you, that's why I'm your 警策
Old 10-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #25
guest1234567
Spain

Demetrio pls translate
And Mary one more example what we are doing here is also aikido,
one party attacking and the others defending with words. It is now clear for you ?