Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Seminars

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-24-2005, 01:44 PM   #1
Stephen A Fasen
Dojo: Shindai Aikikai Aikido Dojo
United_States
The Aikido Cruise

The first Aikido Cruise sailed January 22nd-27th, 2005 for ports of call in the western Caribbean aboard Carnival Cruise lines INSPIRATION.. Included on the ships manifest were and august group of Aikidoka and their families totaling just under 200. The group represented 7 different countries and multiple organizational affiliations. This international gathering joined to make the first Aikido Cruise a successful event. A great training experience was accompanied by family time, entertainment, excellent cuisine and exotic ports of call.

Mitsugi Saotome Sensei and Hiroshi Ikeda Sensei provided the primary instruction to 135 Aikidoka under the sun lit canopy of a cloudless sky and the brisk wind of the open sea. In addition, special guest instructors Patty Saotome Sensei, Dennis Hooker Sensei, Kevin Choate Sensei and Dan Linden Sensei provided special classes on Aikido principles, connection, breathing and conflict resolution.

The weather cooperated throughout the cruise, while providing a constantly changing environment for our training. The first full day everyone shared in the unique challenge of training as a ship moving at 26 knots sailed into an apposing wind of 20 knots. On that day our Hakama tried to metamorphose into functioning sails. I think we slowed the forward motion of the ship. It was great fun. Hearing instructions was also challenge with the wind that first day. The training required heightened observation, which seemed to enhance everyones experience. We were rewarded for our efforts by being treated to Ikeda Sensei's before unmanifested talent for expressive mime. Everyone also enjoyed Saotome Sensei's impersonation of Leonardo DiCaprio in the movie Titanic. King of the world indeed! Training took on a new dimension every day with one common characteristic … it was all fantastic! The on deck training was punctuated by early morning indoor seminar time. And, in addition to his marvelous teaching, Saotome Sensei gave special lectures on budo and his time as Uchi Deshi with O'Sensei.

What made this seminar unique and a well balanced Aiki experience was the time we could spend in addition to the training with our families and friends. Family members who generally experience the world of Aikido through our our absences, esoteric explanations and occasional dojo functions were drawn in to extended contact with our Sensei, friends and training partners in a fashion never before possible. Outstanding evening meals and excursion times reverberated with the laughter, conversation and the unique perspectives of the diverse assemblage, all brought together by this floating seminar. The end result was great training and the overwhelming endorsement of all who came.

In 2006 we will repeat this event with the addition of Saotome Sensei's Winter Camp. The Winter Camp in years past has been held in Washington DC the week between Christmas and New Years. It is our hope that this affordable and comprehensive event will become a annual gathering point for Aikidoka from all over the world, accompanied by their significant others. Information and details will be forthcoming at www.shindai.com and on the AikiWeb.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:19 PM   #2
Jeff Sodeman
Dojo: San Diego Jiai Aikido
Re: The Aikido Cruise

Thanks Steve! We had a great time and look forward to seeing you next year. Great job on organizing such a challenging event.

Old 02-25-2005, 07:48 AM   #3
Patrick Allen
Dojo: Louisville Aikikai
United_States

The cruise was a wonderful experience. Training on the deck of the ship with Saotome Sensei, Ikeda Sensei, the setting sun, wind in the hair, and water as far as you can see was just awesome. Steve, thanks for pulling everything together.

Looking forward to next year,

Patrick Allen
Louisville Aikikai
Old 02-27-2005, 11:42 AM   #4
MitchMZ
Dojo: Prairie-Aikikai
United_States

It was great. I made a lot of friends and will be going to summer camp in the rockies in July with some people from an ASU dojo in Chicago. I was really impressed with the ASU and I wish we had a dojo here in Iowa but we don't. I had a blast and it was really cool meeting people I had only previously talked to on this site!
Old 03-01-2005, 02:44 PM   #5
j0nharris
Dojo: Kododan Aikido USA
United_States

My wife & I weren't able to make it, but would love to see some pictures posted somewhere, if there are any to be had.

Now I'm off to try out that new ki powered snow blower (a.k.a. "a shovel")

jon harris

Life is a journey...
Now, who took my @#$%! map?!
Old 03-04-2005, 10:29 AM   #6
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

It was a great time - below are a few links for some pics:

http://www.chesapeakesailor.com/aikido_cruise_Pics.htm

http://www.shindai.com/seminars/crui...t_happened.htm

http://homepage.mac.com/sharidyer1/A...toAlbum22.html

Also, I believe there are some pics on Aikiweb in Tim Chafee's personal gallery.

Greg Steckel
Aikido of Franklin & Marshall
Old 03-04-2005, 11:39 AM   #7
Tim Chaffee

Dojo: Sarasota Aikikai
United_States

You can get to my gallery with this link:

http://www.aikiweb.com/gallery/showg...r=5872&cat=500

Tim