Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-19-2001, 08:57 AM   #1
Stone
Dojo: Aikido Kokikai, Rochester, NY
I was curious if anyone here who started with Aikido and is fairly highly ranked has picked up another martial art.

My question is what martial art did you pick up and why do you feel you needed to?
Old 03-19-2001, 03:46 PM   #2
Steve Speicher
Dojo: Aikido of Central Ohio
I have just started my training (relatively) and Aikido is my first martial art.

I don't think people begin training in other arts because they need to. It may just be a desire, an interest.

Great question, and I'd like to hear responses from those who have, but I think the question may be better asked:

What martial art did you pick up, and for what reasons?

Peace,

-----------------------------
Steve Speicher
May I ask what is meant by the strong, moving power (hao jan chih chi)? "It
is difficult to describe," Mencius replied. -- Mencius IIA2

403-256 BCE
Old 03-21-2001, 12:36 PM   #3
Stone
Dojo: Aikido Kokikai, Rochester, NY
I guess I'm just curious...

...if people who have become quite proficient in Aikido would view a second MA as an augmentation of their skills by adding more "weapons" to their arsenal or a hinderance by learning new skills that may not fit well with aikido...

..and if there are certain arts that fit nicely with aikido and maybe others which force you to relearn everything...

Old 03-21-2001, 01:46 PM   #4
Chris P.
Re: I guess I'm just curious...

Quote:
Stone wrote:
...if people who have become quite proficient in Aikido would view a second MA as an augmentation of their skills by adding more "weapons" to their arsenal or a hinderance by learning new skills that may not fit well with aikido...
I would have addressed your question sooner but I am not highly ranked in Aikido, perhaps partially because I spend much of my time doing other things.

Certainly, more correct practice will result in more skill. Whether any of these skills "fit" with Aikido is, to me, unimportant. If I practiced Aikido as a religion I might feel differently.
Old 03-21-2001, 02:24 PM   #5
MikeE

Dojo: Midwest Center For Movement & Aikido Bukou Dojos
I'm a Sandan in Aikido and a blue belt in Brazilian Jiu-jitsu. The reason I started BJJ was because I thought it was like aikido, very subtle and gentle. I like the idea of being able to handle myself on the ground, in a one on one situation. It also has helped my understanding of escaping from the ground quickly to avoid multiple attackers. BJJ compliments Aikido when I use it to escape the ground and not get hung up in trying to submit an opponent.

Mike Ellefson
Midwest Center
For Movement &
Aikido Bukou
Dojos
Old 03-21-2001, 03:49 PM   #6
Jim ashby
Dojo: Phoenix Coventry
Other MA's

I have "dabbled" in other MA's and I feel that, if you look hard enough and learn from the right people, there are more similarities than you might think. One Nidan at our Dojo teaches Taichi and his Kokyunages are devastating.
Let me know what you think.
Have fun.

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 03-22-2001, 03:55 AM   #7
Sam
Dojo: Kyogikan Sheffield
I am not highly ranked in aikido in the overall scheme of things, but I have also done karate, penjack silat and judo.
The only martial art I think is compatible is Judo.
Generally it is a body type, body tension issue. Karate and other similar arts build up isometric or static strength and beyond a certain point this can hinder the fluidity of aikido.
Judo builds up dynamic strength of the same type as aikido so the two are compatible.
Although I have only been doing judo for a few months, I have found it very easy to pick up due to similar principals.
Old 03-22-2001, 05:23 AM   #8
TheProdigy
Dojo: Aikido Kokikai Delaware
Hey,

Aikido currently is my only martial art and was the first one I started with. Soon, however, I'll be practicing Tai Chi as well. Searching for complete harmony of mind, body, and spirit, I feel that aikido can only take me so far. I believe Tai Chi will take me the rest of the way, and contrary to the last comment, they should complement each other very nicely (in my present opinion at least).

-Jase

Jason Hobbs
"As you walk and eat and travel, be where you are. Otherwise you will miss most of your life."
Old 03-22-2001, 04:38 PM   #9
Kolschey
I am not an expert in Aikido, though I have practiced for the past few years.I have recently had the opportunity to practice BJJ, and I enjoy it a great deal. I find that it gives me a serious appreciation of the realities involved in possibly being taken by surprise and finding yourself pinned under a larger opponent. I find that it is a nice complement to my Aikido experience.

-Krzysztof M. Mathews
http://www.firstgearterritories.com

Krzysztof M. Mathews
" For I am the Cat who walks by himself, and all places are alike to me" -Rudyard Kipling