Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-29-2012, 10:56 PM   #26
kumachan
United_States
Re: Did aikido ever fail you?

Quote:
Erik Haselhofer wrote: View Post
There's a semi-famous story about an Aikidoist who was stabbed and killed. This was in New York and I believe it was in the 60's. The guy found a kid around or in his car. The guy, a 3rd dan, confronted the kid and the kid did what you do with knives.

I know of another Aikidoist here in the Bay Area who was attacked in bed by her boyfriend and killed. She was very much a beginner from what I know.

No fights nor even serious possibilities since I've been doing this stuff.
Way late with a response to this but... If Erik is referring to the NYC story that I am familiar with: 1. It happened in the 70's or early 80's; and 2. He was karateka yudansha, engaged to or dating an aikidoka yudansha at a dojo I used to train at. Nothing to do with aikido skills or lack thereof. An American aikido san-dan, in NYC in the 60's? Not too sure about that...
Old 09-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #27
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Quote:
Andrew Macdonald wrote: View Post
ok not a practical situation but i know of someone who aikido has failed completely

even though she has stuided for quiet a while and achieved a dan grade (nidan) she seems ot have learned nothing along the way. she is self obessed, lack communication skills, and is intolerant of people who learn a little slower when she is taking the class. which luckily isn;t often due to her job.

In this instance i feel that aikido is failing her, what has she got a bunch of techniques that she can admittedly do well but nothing else. and remians unable to function well in normal society becaus eof her attitude towards people. she spends her time hiding in the dojo and wearinher hakama like a suit of armour.

we should be getting more out of our practice than just movement
I think in order to get "more" out of training a person has to have a desire for and be perusing self improvement. I would not say that aikido has failed this person. You cannot change someone who does not want to change. You can't make a person want to change.

For me aikido has bee a wonderful to and help in improving myself as a person and enriching my life and it has had a profound effect. But only because I was searching for that in aikido. I wanted it and I was ready for it and willing to face the sometimes extremely difficult work it would require. Not a lot of people are willing to do that.

Having just finally gotten to nikkyu and seeing what I had to go through personally
emotionally and mentally in order to make that step. I can now appreciate more why so many people either quit training or simply do not wok on that aspect of their training.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:16 AM   #28
Chris Evans
United_States

in general, since most aikidoka nage/tori yudansha do not seem welcome unprepdictable attacks and on developing fight-conditioning I'd be surprised if their aikido "works" at all. However, there are enough tough aikidoka around to lead me to think that many do value "effectiveness" -- I seek to practice with these since folks without annoying them.

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."