Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-24-2004, 07:49 PM   #1
Niko Salgado
Dojo: Center for Mind-Body Oneness, St. Paul, MN
United_States
Sayu undo revised(Ki Society)

I was informed just today that the travelling sayu undo was a "step-together-step" instead of a "step-cross behind-step" like we're all used to. This change was made because the hips somehow were being caused to turn while crossing your legs.

I was curious, if anyone has figured out how to do the new way properly yet. It is very annoying to get used to after doing the old way for so long. After drilling the new way for about 10 minutes, I'm listing what I have noticed so far as what makes it difficult and a possible solution(s) to these particular problems in the following:

Problem #1. In most cases, the distance being created by the original way was done beginning with the cross-behind step(the 2nd step). The new way decreases that distance greatly since your 2nd step is limited to where your first step is.

Solution: Emphasize the distance on the first step. This will allow you to get remotely close to the dance you would be covering doing the first way.

Problem #2: The new way causes you to lose some balance while performing it.

Solution: It might be because the legs tend to straighten and lock up while "putting your feet together." Just like in the old way, keep the knees slightly bent. Also, it may also mean that you're focusing on how far a step you can take to cover as much ground as the former way. Be mindful of where your focus changes to while applying this change to the technique.

Problem #3: After doing one side, it's hard to start going the other direction with the same distance.

Solution: It means you have taken too large a 3rd step(the settling step) which makes it difficult to take a large first step going the other direction.

Add, revise or comment to this as you please, ask questions too, I hope someone can clarify the motion. It just feels really really weird right now.

Last edited by Niko Salgado : 10-24-2004 at 07:50 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-24-2004, 08:52 PM   #2
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States
Re: Sayu undo revised(Ki Society)

I would suggest that you copy this post this on the ki-info mailing list where there are many Ki Society instructors subscribed.

subscribe here

http://groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/ki-info

and also post a copy here on the Ki Forums hosted
by the St. Louis Ki Society

http://www.kiforums.org/

--------------------------------------------

my meager two cents,

don't let being used to something keep you from doing something new
stay adaptable

I have seen sayu choyaku undo done different ways
"step-together-step"
"step-cross behind-step"
"step-cross infront-step"

if one relaxes, any one of these can work.

I reply in more detail but I am really more interested in other teachers responses once you post a copy of this to the above mentioned forums.