Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-29-2005, 12:30 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Poll: Is the spiritual component of aikido inherent in the physical techniques?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of May 29, 2005:

Is the spiritual component of aikido inherent in the physical techniques?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Yes
  • No
Here are the current results.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:56 PM   #2
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo
Re: Poll: Is the spiritual component of aikido inherent in the physical techniques?

I didn't vote in this one, because there wasn't a button for:
"What spiritual component?"

Old 05-30-2005, 03:05 PM   #3
ESimmons
United_States
Re: Poll: Is the spiritual component of aikido inherent in the physical techniques?

Quote:
Sean Orchard wrote:
I didn't vote in this one, because there wasn't a button for:
"What spiritual component?"

I think "No" pretty much has that covered.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:48 PM   #4
siwilson
Dojo: Kenshinkai Yoshinkan Aikido
England

I can't vote, as there is not a box to tick!

I think that what is needed is an "I don't care" option, and a "What spirituality?" option!

Osu!
Old 05-30-2005, 07:39 PM   #5
Chef CJ
Dojo: Green Bay Aikikai
United_States

I voted yes because of my own definition of spirituality as it relates to physical technique. Sensing the opponents movement and ki are very essential to a clean technique. That to me at least, involves a spiritual connection. Some may disagree and that is all well and good for each of us has our own approach which is what makes getting together with new people to study such an important aspect of Aikido training.

Thank you for your time.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:42 AM   #6
siwilson
England

Quote:
Charles Moulton wrote:
Sensing the opponents movement and ki are very essential to a clean technique.
Charles,

To quote Gozo Shioda Sensei:

"Ki is the mastery of balance."

Physical - not spiritual.

That is how I approach Aikido, and it has produced some good Aikidoka along the way.

Si

Osu!
Old 05-31-2005, 10:01 AM   #7
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States
Smile Re: Poll: Is the spiritual component of aikido inherent in the physical techniques?

The physical manifestations of aikido technique mirror the "off the mat" lessons that aikido has taught me. It's taught me to go along with someone long enough for them to realize their mistake, rather than being argumentive from the beginning (tenkan). Aikido has taught me to face my problems and to "enter without fear" (irimi). The concept of sensitivity, knowing when enough is enough, is not only useful when applying torque to my training partner's wrist. It also helps me to decide when to speak or act during a tense exchange. By the use of the word "spiritual" in this thread, I think they refer to how aikido improves us. What have we learned, besides how to move our hands and feet?
Old 05-31-2005, 07:47 PM   #8
eyrie

Australia

Quote:
James Davis, Jr. wrote:
The physical manifestations of aikido technique mirror the "off the mat" lessons that aikido has taught me. It's taught me to go along with someone long enough for them to realize their mistake, rather than being argumentive from the beginning (tenkan). Aikido has taught me to face my problems and to "enter without fear" (irimi). The concept of sensitivity, knowing when enough is enough, is not only useful when applying torque to my training partner's wrist. It also helps me to decide when to speak or act during a tense exchange. By the use of the word "spiritual" in this thread, I think they refer to how aikido improves us. What have we learned, besides how to move our hands and feet?
*claps hands and bows respectfully*

Ignatius
Old 06-01-2005, 10:41 AM   #9
grasshopper45
United_States

i am a virtual newbie to say the least. i have not even taken an aikido class yet, but along my spiritual journey, i have been led to consider aikido. that gives away my answer. i have been studying some taoist philosophy for some time, when i ran into a cousin of mind. he explained to me about how aikido emphasizes similar thoughts ,mainly a philosophy of peace , and harmony with nature.
i am currently reading the Art of Peace by Morihei Ueshiba, and while i have not read far, i appreciate the beauty, and the desire for a better world in it. i too see a difference in religious vs spiritual thought. i think we all follow a path , and that we should not impose our religion, or perhaps even our spirituality on others.
i am a Christian man, but see much truth, and beauty in what i have read . it is spiritual to me.
Again i have not experienced Aikido at all personally , just what i have read. i hope to change that soon. So forgive me if i am just rambling on something i know so little about. i would like to think that Aikido is a great martial art ,with application in this world, but it is grounded in some form of spirituality.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:24 AM   #10
billybob

Dojo: Academy of Warrior Spirit
United_States

I answered yes.

For the moment, my spirit and my body go together. I suspect, at some future time, they may go their separate ways.

I point aikidoka to the 'chindon' of OSensei - the rowing exercise, hand shaking exercise, and shaking hands over head and flicking fingers toward earth are for spiritual cleansing.

For you Christians I reference Paul's admonition not to 'join' with prostitutes - because 'you join your spirit also'.

If aikido isn't spiritual, then one would have to conclude that 'spirit' does not exist.

Billybob.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:18 PM   #11
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

I generally defer to Peter G. on such matters, and he has said he doesn't see a "spiritual component of aikido inherent in the physical techniques". However, I can't help but suspect that part of the difference between ajj and aikido technique is precisely this, consciously attempted, i.e., the transformation of physical training into a...metaphor (into synesthesia?)

Quote:
David Knowlton wrote:
I point aikidoka to the 'chindon' of OSensei
Hi, David!

CHINDON...is that anything like KATSUDON?

Yikes!

...oh! you meant CHIN-K-ON.

Never mind.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 06-02-2005, 12:29 AM   #12
siwilson
England

Come on guys, this is getting really woolly!!!!

Kevin, when you do go for a first Aikido class, pick carefully. A lot of people in Aikido don't have any time for the...
Quote:
rowing exercise, hand shaking exercise, and shaking hands over head and flicking fingers toward earth are for spiritual cleansing
...mumbo jumbo. Aikido is a martial arts and should be practiced as such. O'Sensei was a bone breaker and hospitalised many people. He killed many too. In fact that is supposed to have lead to him emphasising Irimi, as his katana blade became ineffective because of the fat on it from those he had cut down, so he started to thrust in to them instead.

If you want the mumbo jumbo, well there are many schools of Aikido that have forgotten that it is a martial art and seem to be practicing "prayer in movement", but that i snot for me.

I had a disturbing experience at a seminar a little while ago, where I did (Shomen) Irimi Nage on one guy and he got up looking flustered, saying, "What are you going? What are you doing?" I was confused as I thought I did the technique pretty well. "You're not supposed to touch me!" he said, "You're supposed to show your hand in front of my face and I fall down!" ** WHAT? ** So I did the technique even harder the second time!

Damn Aiki--fruities!!!!!!!

Like I said, it is a martial art and should be practiced as such. If you don't want that and want to be a fruity, there are many places to go, but a Yoshinkan Dojo will not be one of them.

Si

Osu!
Old 06-02-2005, 01:31 AM   #13
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan

Quote:
Si Wilson wrote:
Come on guys, this is getting really woolly!!!!

<snip happens>

Damn Aiki--fruities!!!!!!!

Like I said, it is a martial art and should be practiced as such. If you don't want that and want to be a fruity, there are many places to go, but a Yoshinkan Dojo will not be one of them.

Si
Come on Si...tell us what you really think

--Michael

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
Old 06-02-2005, 02:14 AM   #14
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
Si Wilson wrote:
...<snip>...I had a disturbing experience at a seminar a little while ago, where I did (Shomen) Irimi Nage on one guy and he got up looking flustered, saying, "What are you going? What are you doing?" I was confused as I thought I did the technique pretty well. "You're not supposed to touch me!" he said, "You're supposed to show your hand in front of my face and I fall down!" ** WHAT? **
Si,
Just a question, was this person dressed in his pretty pretty pink hakama smelling of fresh floral scent?
Quote:
So I did the technique even harder the second time!
You brute... worthy of a true YoshinOrge (TM) badge of honour.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:18 AM   #15
maikerus
Japan

Quote:
Xu Wenfung wrote:
Si,
Just a question, was this person dressed in his pretty pretty pink hakama smelling of fresh floral scent?
You're not going to believe this, but there is actually a magazine that I saw last week selling a "Hello Kitty" dogi. It's pink with little "Hello Kitty"'s all over it.

It was one of the dojo members birthday last week and his testing partner was threatening to buy it for him. I don't know what I'd do if they actually wore it for the test next week

Probably fail them

--Michael

Old 06-02-2005, 02:32 AM   #16
Paul Kerr

Quote:
He killed many too. In fact that is supposed to have lead to him emphasising Irimi, as his katana blade became ineffective because of the fat on it from those he had cut down, so he started to thrust in to them instead.
Si,
Where do you get this information from? I've never heard this particular "fact" before.

(And as to the poll question: No.)
Old 06-02-2005, 12:30 PM   #17
siwilson
England

Quote:
Paul Kerr wrote:
Si,
Where do you get this information from? I've never heard this particular "fact" before.
It is from the story of the Manchuria adventure, where they were attacked by bandits. You know the tale about beams of light preceding the bullets?

Osu!
Old 06-02-2005, 01:13 PM   #18
siwilson
England

Quote:
Xu Wenfung wrote:
Si,
Nah, they really did stink! Err, actually that was just their Aikido!!!

You know the type. He started the day off in Rei Ho by walking along the line of Dan grades saying, "I'm 2nd Dan. What are you?" to make sure he was not sat to the left of a Shodan!!!! I was waiting for him to find a Nidan and start checking grading dates!!! Prat!

Osu!
Old 06-02-2005, 01:39 PM   #19
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada

Lol I love Si's posts. Have had similar encounters. Always dropped em harder the second time.

I voted No btw.

I think a human being can find spirituality in everything from a glass of water to a rock to a mountain if they look hard enough. However it is difficult to see how techniques that are basically modified Jujutsu are "inherently" spiritual. "Inherently" being the operative word.

How one approaches their art and their practice can be an entirely different thing however and one can choose to have a practice with a spiritual focus. But this does not make the techniques inherently spiritual. In the end it is up to the mind of the individual that determines the approach to Aikido.

Just a few thoughts.
LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 06-02-2005, 01:40 PM   #20
barnibis

Dojo: Toronto Aikikai

As I understand it, many of the movements and postures in Aikido embody various spritual principles and ideas. As I understand it, Kanai sensei spent a lot of time studying this particular aspect of Aikido, unfortunately I never spoke with him about it when he was around, i always figured i'd check him on that later.

So i said, yes because Sensei said so.

o..
Old 06-02-2005, 02:05 PM   #21
siwilson
England

My late teacher's journey through Aikido and life (read as the same - Shugyo) was a spiritual one. That was personal to him and those that wished to follow the spiritual side did so as a personal path also.

I would never force spiritual teachings on anyone. That is there choice! Encourage students to read about Aikido, all the way back to it's origins in the 8th century. If they find their way includes a spiritual side, then that is their choice.

Aikido can be practiced as a purely physical activity. If fact, the problem is not those who practice Aikido purely physical, but the problem is those who practice Aikido purely spiritual!!!!

Osu!
Old 06-02-2005, 02:05 PM   #22
Paul Kerr

Quote:
Si Wilson wrote:
It is from the story of the Manchuria adventure, where they were attacked by bandits. You know the tale about beams of light preceding the bullets?

Yeah, I always that that was rubbish as well
Old 06-02-2005, 07:07 PM   #23
maikerus
Japan

Quote:
Si Wilson wrote:
Aikido can be practiced as a purely physical activity. If fact, the problem is not those who practice Aikido purely physical, but the problem is those who practice Aikido purely spiritual!!!!
Oh! I like that! Can I use that?

--Michael

Old 06-02-2005, 10:32 PM   #24
siwilson
England

Quote:
Michael Stuempel wrote:
Oh! I like that! Can I use that?

--Michael
Absolutely!!!!!

Osu!
Old 06-02-2005, 10:54 PM   #25
jk

Si, Si...don't you know anything? After you drop the aiki-fruitie harder the second time, ya gotta choke them out or put 'em in a jujigatame! When you leave the scene, step on their groin...there's a protocol to this, you know.

Michael, I would LOVE to have a Hello Kitty dogi. Details, please.