Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-04-2012, 02:56 AM   #1
T-S
Australia
Tomiki Aikido?

Hi everyone, I was hoping you could help me out with something: I've come across a place very close to me that teaches Tomiki Aikido - From what I can gather, it has some elements that other schools of Aikido do not, such as sparring and even competition (some similarities to Judo???). I'm not looking for competition or anything, but the sparring element sounds like an interesting and effective way to gauge my skill level once I progressed a bit (if I decided to learn it). However, I read somewhere that O'Sensei did not approve of this style of Aikido...Is that true? Does Tomiki style Aikido maintain the philosophy of peace and harmony? If someone could give this novice the lowdown it would be much appreciated

Thanks,

Tom
Old 05-04-2012, 02:57 AM   #2
T-S
Australia
Re: Tomiki Aikido?

Ah, I intended to post this in "General Discussion", feel free to move it if not appropriate here.

Thanks.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:00 AM   #3
Edgecrusher

Dojo: Tampa, FL
United_States

I am studying Tomiki in Tampa, Florida with my Sensei (Shihan) and other students. The competition element is not profound in the United States as it is in Europe and other countries. Tomiki shihan combined the elements of Aikido and Judo and felt that Judo's competition element was what Aikido needed. I am commenting based on what I read of the man and what I am being taught. I believe you are right, O Sensei did not approve of this idea that Aikido is competitive. I would go and workout with them and embrace them. You might find that it helps you understand a different approach to an attack or learn how to counter strike. It is still Aikido and there is no mistaking that. Do a little research on the Head Instructor, was he/she a direct student of Tomiki? Where did they learn and by whom were they instructed?

These are important questions to ask because there are a lot of Tomiki schools teaching based on books are someone who saw someone perform these techniques. I also understand that it is a rare treat to be taught by someone who was Tomiki's student. I have that honor and have received one on one training with a shihan for about a year and a half. I am grateful and am blessed for this. I am still with him and our class is building. I say go and introduce yourself and get on the mat. I would be willing to talk with you at more length if you would like.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
Chris Parkerson
Dojo: Academy of the Martial Arts
United_States

I have been associated (loosely) with Tomiki Aikido since 1987.
My current training partner in Ohio is a 50 year Tomiki practitioner.

He instills peace and harmony in all he does in life. Such teaching is really an individual practice, even if a school's doctrine claims such goals. It is about what people in a dojo practice rather that what is written in the doctrine.

Knife rondori is a fun way of challenging one's self with sport competition. But, IMO, it is limited. Attacks must be linear (no room for Kali or Silat angles of attack). The practice develops decent timing. I suggest you work technique to the point that it does not degrade too much when put under
pressure as sport competition tends to do.

Also, ask them how much time they spend on san kata in relation to the other katas within the discipline. IMO, Many Tomiki Dojos have sacrificed training the full art for the sake of knife Rondori sport competitions.

You may get the rondori competition bug and prefer the latter. But knowing the Dojo master's training plan before you commit time and money may be of benefit to you.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada

Quote:
Thomas Shrapnel wrote: View Post
Hi everyone, I was hoping you could help me out with something: I've come across a place very close to me that teaches Tomiki Aikido - From what I can gather, it has some elements that other schools of Aikido do not, such as sparring and even competition (some similarities to Judo???). I'm not looking for competition or anything, but the sparring element sounds like an interesting and effective way to gauge my skill level once I progressed a bit (if I decided to learn it). However, I read somewhere that O'Sensei did not approve of this style of Aikido...Is that true? Does Tomiki style Aikido maintain the philosophy of peace and harmony? If someone could give this novice the lowdown it would be much appreciated

Thanks,

Tom
Hi Thomas,

If you do a search on Tomiki Aikido or Shodokan Aikido here on Aikiweb you will find many great discussions that will give you first hand details from those who have a deep knowledge of the art.

Resistance-based randori is a hallmark of Tomiki Aikido. This takes the form of armed (tanto randori) and unarmed (toshu randori). It builds exceptional skills in timing and kuzushi and gives you very good feedback on your actual skill level. It is linked to competition but you are not required to compete in order to get a lot from the training method. Tomiki dojos would also practice techniques through a variety of kata in a cooperative, zero-resistance format. This would allow you to develop your technical skill and deeper understanding of the art.

It's important to note that Tomiki Aikido is not mixed with or combined with Judo. Rather, Kenji Tomiki approached the Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu that he learned from Ueshiba M. from the perspective of Kano's theories on Judo, i.e. shizentai, kuzushi, the inclusion of shiai (competition) etc.

Tomiki Aikido dojo follow the tenets of non-violence as espoused by Ueshiba M. as well as the ideals of sportsmanship and goodwill to others. You will find that Tomiki Aikido competitions, though intense, are always friendly with mutual respect being a critical element.

I did some checking around. If this is the dojo you are interested in - http://www.keishinkan.net/KEISHINKAN/Aikido.html you are in good hands. Of course the best thing is to go see a class and ask as many questions as you think you need to be satisfied.

Have fun in your search.

Hope this helps.

LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 05-08-2012, 06:30 AM   #6
T-S
Australia

Thanks for the replies everyone, they helped a lot.

Larry - The Dojo you posted the link for is indeed the one I was referring to. It's good to know that it's a reputable school, and I'll be sure to check it out in the near future. I'll post back here when I do and let you know what I decide to end up doing...I really do like the look of this place (I've checked out a couple of other Aikido Dojo's, but their style didn't feel "martial enough" for me right now, they all seemed like great people though) so hopefully it will turn out well.

Thanks again,

T.S
Old 05-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
Phil Van Treese
Dojo: Tampa Judo and Aikido Dojo, Tampa, Fl
United_States

I am a Tomiki Aikido instructor here in Tampa, Fl. Tomiki Aikido has all tachi waza etc like the other styles. However, we also have Ne Waza (ground work), Shime Waza (chokes), Reversals and counters, Kansetsu Waza (arm bars) and we do mat randori as well as standing. We do have peace and harmony but I'd rather think of it as "Piece and Harmony"----you attack me and I am going to get a "piece" (if not a smorgasboard) of you and I will have perfect harmony while you won't. Tomiki aikido is a blast because it goes a little further than the other traditional styles. I work with all styles, and respect them. Have fun and learn.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
T-S
Australia

Hey, so I checked out the place that was posted above and, to be honest, it didn't really seem like the best fit for me.

I've decided to train for a while at a very small, personal Dojo, learning Iwama style Aikido. I had my first class yesterday morning and really enjoyed the atmosphere, and the instructor is a really chilled out guy who seems to know what he's doing - It felt right.

Thanks again for the replies, I just thought I'd let you all know what I decided to do in regards to this.

Tom
Old 06-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #9
T-S
Australia

Haha, I just ate my words...I ended up actually participating in a class at the Tomiki Style Dojo this morning and found it really, really good. It's close to home and the price is right...Just goes to show, it never hurts to try.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:19 AM   #10
Chris Parkerson
Dojo: Academy of the Martial Arts
United_States

Quote:
Thomas Shrapnel wrote: View Post
Haha, I just ate my words...I ended up actually participating in a class at the Tomiki Style Dojo this morning and found it really, really good. It's close to home and the price is right...Just goes to show, it never hurts to try.

Thanks for all the replies.
Go you.

Chris
Old 06-09-2012, 03:48 AM   #11
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

We can be soooooo seductive.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 06-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #12
Chuck Clark