Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Teaching

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-27-2009, 03:04 PM   #26
Nick
United_States
Re: Talk or not to talk?

Like everything else in the world: in moderation.

We can't learn aikido (or anything) simply by hearing about it: were that true, then we would all be masters of ancient ninjutsu and I could actually play the guitar.

On the other end of the spectrum, sometimes lecture, thought, reflection, etc can be important. I'm studying to be a nurse: although most of our skill and knowledge is acquired on the floor, there is (obviously) quite a bit that must be considered before stepping into a "real world" situation.

I guess, if anything, my advice would be to say a little more than you think you should, but a little less than they think you should.

Good to be back,
Nick
Old 04-29-2010, 10:46 AM   #27
j0nharris
Dojo: Kododan Aikido USA
United_States

Different students learn in different ways; just as in any classroom.
Tailored teaching is wonderful, if time allows.. one explanation won't click for everyone...
Unfortunately, I've been known to talk a technique to death. I have to watch myself, or I'll do 1000 analogies of think of it like... before I get to the actual technique (for which I apologize in advance before tonight's class).

jon harris

Life is a journey...
Now, who took my @#$%! map?!
Old 04-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #28
RED
United_States

I have an instructor that talks a lot about the virtues of remaining silent on the mat....the irony is great.

MM
Old 04-29-2010, 11:50 AM   #29
SeaGrass
Dojo: Kenshinyokan
United_States

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
There are times when I want them to figure it out for themselves rather than them picking up my personal take on it. Sometimes the students can get complacent and expect everything to be handed to them on a glorious silver plater. You're up there explaining and realize that they're all in "reception only" mode. Just accepting what they're hearing with no real effort on their part. So you need to challenge them to get up and go get it themselves. Sometimes the process of figuring it out is more important than what they've figured out.

No answers...
I agreee, I think the process of students adapting themselves to learning is also very important. A sensei will teach the way he teaches and it's up to the student to fill in the rest, embarking on a journey for himself.
I've adapted myself to learning by observing, emulating, practicing, asking questions, feel the techniques, practice some more. See what my sensei is showing, emulating what he's doing, practice regularly, asking my sensei if what i'm doing is correct or and the best part is to be his uke to feel how the technique's supposed to be done. Feeling is just as important as seeing and hearing.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:23 PM   #30
niall
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Japan

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
Just depends...

Some days I like explanation.

Some days I like to just watch and emulate.

Whatever sensei does is fine with me...
I agree with Keith. I trust the teacher.

I remember one lesson with Shigenobu Okumura sensei at the Aikikai in Tokyo. He brought in a blackboard and gave us a complex lecture for almost the whole hour of the class. Then as the class ended he didn't want to end it so he continued it through the 30 minute break between classes and into most of the next hour. The students coming in to change for the next lesson did a double-take as they walked past the door and saw us all sitting down quietly. At the time we all complained about our legs going to sleep but we all learned something different and it's a cool memory.

we can make our minds so like still water, and so live for a moment with a clearer, perhaps even with a fiercer life
w b yeats

aikiweb blog|wordpress blog
Old 04-30-2010, 04:11 AM   #31
ze'ev erlich

Dojo: Masatake Dojo - Israel Aikikai
Israel
ballance!

like nearly when doing anything in our life. Ballance!

Ze'ev from Masatake Dojo Rehovot
www.aikikai.org.il
Israeli Aikikai

Old 04-30-2010, 11:25 AM   #32
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States

A little less talk and a lot more action.

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru
Old 05-01-2010, 08:59 AM   #33
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Not talking but just showing the technique is a way of training observation and intuition.

In gassho

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 05-01-2010, 02:11 PM   #34
RED
United_States

I understand the ideal of a no talk mat. However, I'm a kinetic learner. I never understand something until I can get my hands into it. And some people frankly some people only learn by listening. A good teacher I think will give their students what they need. But I've had great experiences with teachers of different teaching styles...so I can't say what is better, they have all served me well.

MM
Old 05-02-2010, 06:38 PM   #35
Rob Watson
United_States

"Kokyu throughout the whole body"

"Breathe through the toes"

The words don't help too much unless they are filled with meaning that can be understood and converted internally to the correct aspect.

"A little more to the left" is generally understood by all levels and in some cases is correct.

Just the right words at the right time help tremendously. Any more than that is a distraction. Of course, one size does not fit all ...

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:00 AM   #36
scarey
Dojo: Shinkikan
United_States

The difficulty with this topic is that for every learning style that exists, there are just as varied teaching styles. To further compound the issue, learning a martial art in general requires more than just cognition and logical processes. Emotion is at play here.

How do you teach koshi nage to someone who is reluctant to doing breakfalls? This is an example of where establishing trust becomes vital. As we're all students, both parties (learner and teacher) have to operate under the premise that breaking bones doesn't offer a good learning experience so the teacher has to be careful (talking uke slowly through the act of doing the technique - creating the trust). And uke has just as much of a role in offering a sincere attack which enables the technique to be executed properly and *safely*.

So, ultimately I think everything has to be balanced. Explaining a technique should lead to action and performing the technique should lead to more questions for further understanding.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:48 PM   #37
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States

Quote:
Maggie Schill wrote: View Post
I have an instructor that talks a lot about the virtues of remaining silent on the mat....the irony is great.
That is hilarious.

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru
Old 07-29-2010, 11:25 AM   #38
cconstantine

Dojo: Kinokawa Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Lyle Laizure wrote: View Post
That is hilarious.
I don't think it's hilarious, nor ironic (as the OP mentioned.)

If an instructor speaks a lot about the need to restrain talking, then that means the instructor thinks the students talk too much. (...or, less likely, it means that the instructor feels the topic is so important that it bears repeating even if everyone present is already not talking too much.)

On the other hand, *students* on the mat who are telling other students they talk too much... that is certainly ironic and funny. So we could ask: Does the talks-about-silence instructor talk too much when they are on the mat with their teacher? That would be a good gauge of the quality of that particular instructor.