Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-10-2002, 03:51 AM   #1
Jorx
Dojo: Pärnu Aikidoclub Singitai
Estonia
So this is what they think...

One of the most popular forums in the UK had a post like this:

http://pub13.ezboard.com/fsfuksubmis...cID=7472.topic

Sometimes my ego gets the feeling WHY there couldn't be just someone who would train Aikido techniques for the purpose that he could kick some butt in MMA and then show that Aikido is just not some dancing but a martial art not only in the spiritual meaning but also in the meaning of FIGHTING art.

But then again... why should I care what they think?

...launch a slow jab and then watch them to execute a two hand grab leaving their jaw open... OH PLEASE!... haven't these guys ever met real aikidoka???

Jorgen
Estonian Aikikai
Riveta Sportsclub
Old 06-10-2002, 03:55 AM   #2
Jorx
Estonia
Sorry I'm having trouble with the hyperlink...

http://pub13.ezboard.com/fsfuksubmis...cID=7472.topic

This should be it.

When not then go to:

http://pub13.ezboard.com/fsfuksubmis...uksfukmmaforum

Then choose page 20 and topic Aikido.
Old 06-10-2002, 03:57 AM   #3
Jorx
Estonia
Sorry!
Wrong spaces in wrong places...

http://pub13.ezboard.com/
fsfuksubmissionfightinguksfukmmaforum
.showMessage?topicID=7472
.topic

NB: All of this is one row! No Spaces dots have to be where they are.
Old 06-10-2002, 04:19 AM   #4
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Don't sweat in Jorgan - there's always some no nothing fool out in cyber-land. I read the thread - overall it did not seem that different from what you see even on the Aikido boards.

Of course the other end of the spectrum is some yahoo that's done a year or more of Aikido and thinks he has a chance in no-holds barred competition against someone who specifically trains for that sport.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 06-10-2002, 05:12 AM   #5
shihonage
United_States
Try
Code:
HERE
Wow I can't fix it. This board has a bug.

Last edited by shihonage : 06-10-2002 at 05:19 AM.
Old 06-10-2002, 10:07 AM   #6
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Fighting by not fighting

If you haven't read a story about "Fighting by not Fighting", eventually you will, but that is the hindsight of older, wiser, experienced people who have been suckered in at least once in their lives.

I sometimes think that the first twenty five years of adult life, starting at about age seventeen, are fraught with emotional unstability as we give in to our base instincts to reproduce and fight at the drop of hat? No, really. It is a constant battle of proving who is the big fish, or that it is more dangerous to hit the barking dog than it is to leave it alone?

The only superiority to any MA is to secure your health and longevity against the dangers of the world that will shorten your life or the lives of your family and friends. That is the basic need for any fighting art? .... or am I missing the point of this exercise because I can't get the link to come up with anything but "ERROR".

Of course, that could be the truth of this entire post? The error is really the subconscious truth to getting haughty about others bashing Aikido, as we have sissified it in an attempt to be gentle?

I know there are so many laws, restrictions, and safety concerns for the way we practice Aikido, when in effect, the real Aikido is derived from many techniques that were meant to kill in battle with hand to hand, or hand to weapon techniques. I don't want all of our aikido students to practice the deadly capacity of Aikido's depth, but take a look at Shirata sensei? Was he not a gentle spirit in a warriors body creating a bridge from the old to the new?

No one can practice the gentle art of Aikido and not percieve the depth of its power and its capacity to effect greater injury than an accidental injury seen very rarely in our modern practice? It is there waiting like a wild animal who is showing the signs of being a tame housepet.

Make no mistake, if you look around long enough, and study the various pieces of martial arts, you will come upon the serious side of Aikido which came from warrior arts, but then ... it wouldn't be Aikido in spirit or in practice, would it?

Accept the wild slander of others with laughter and good will, it will always make them wary, and it will bolster your inner spirit as you meet the demons you carry within yourself ... isn't that why you have come to practice Aikido? To meet the inner weakness of your spirit, to help you to be a better person?

It should be.

Remember to let your anger out in practicing at home, but let the good feeling you have for Aikido shine in your words to others who have not been so fortunate to find its practice.

( or make a little face on your heavy bag and beat the snot out of your heavy bag until the snot runs out of your nose and you have collasped from exhaustion! Hey, whatever works?)
Old 06-10-2002, 10:28 AM   #7
akiy

Quote:
Originally posted by shihonage
Try
Code:
HERE
Wow I can't fix it. This board has a bug.
It should be fixed now. I've increased the length for auto-wrapping long words.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 06-10-2002, 01:18 PM   #8
Jorx
Estonia
Wow mr. Baker.
I really agree with You this time

But I think I have't got much problem with hidden agression (otherwise I wouldn't be doing Aikido I guess)... ppl on those boards do. At least it seems so. Just sometimes I feel that all this would be MUCH easier if we could say - well look at him - he kicks butt in MMA... so I do the same thing somehow.

I sometimes just get fed up that ppl have so many superstitions about Aikido...

Jorgen
Old 06-10-2002, 02:45 PM   #9
paw
Jorgen,

What did you find so offensive? I scanned the thread and didn't see anything that was worth getting upset about.

IMHO, if you enjoy your training and it's meeting your needs don't worry about it.

Regards,

Paul
Old 06-10-2002, 06:15 PM   #10
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
I agree with Paul. The only thing that is important, is your own practice and training.

Don`t get upset by other peoples words, just accept that they are entitled to their opinions and carry on.

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 06-10-2002, 07:20 PM   #11
Erik
Well, outside of the fact that about 90% of the posts had some factual error in regards to Aikido I think there are some areas of validity.

We are not MMA types. No way about it. We don't train for it and most of us would not have fun in the Octagon. For instance, most of us have almost no ground work in our repetoire. I also think the same criticism is equally valid for boxing, karate, wrestling and any art that is not fully multi-dimensional.

I don't mind criticisms of our art. The real question is can we learn anything from it. If not then who cares and move on.

Finally, a lot of us are not training to be penultimate fighters. At 6' 200 pounds I don't need a MA to do damage. I'm big enough and athletic enough that I can hurt people anyway. I'm also devious enough to hit the other SOB when he ain't looking, hire someone else to hit the other SOB or I could just buy a gun.

Our art is what it is and we should live with it. It's plenty good enough.