Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-18-2007, 12:30 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Poll: How realistic is doing a physically effective aikido technique with only one finger?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of February 18, 2007:

How realistic is doing a physically effective aikido technique with only one finger?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Completely realistic
  • Somewhat realistic
  • Not very realistic
  • Not at all realistic
Here are the current results.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:00 AM   #2
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
Re: Poll: How realistic is doing a physically effective aikido technique with only one finger?

Not at all realistic. It takes the whole mind/body system .... the connection can be achieved and maintained through one finger though.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 02-18-2007, 10:14 AM   #3
billybob

Dojo: Academy of Warrior Spirit
United_States
Re: Poll: How realistic is doing a physically effective aikido technique with only one finger?

Chuck Clark said:
Quote:
Not at all realistic. It takes the whole mind/body system .... the connection can be achieved and maintained through one finger though.

I agree with Mr. Clark about connection via one finger, but voted 'completely realistic'. I read the question to mean 'using only one's finger' rather than assuming it implied a finger wriggling detached on the mat.

As an example - perform a good irimi from shomen uchi and step fully behind uke - hook the collar of their gi at the neck and bend your knees. If you have their balance it works nicely (as I'm sure everyone knows)

dave
Old 02-19-2007, 10:08 AM   #4
rcoit
Dojo: northeast aikikai
United_States

For one who practices regularly, focus can be directed to any body part ( especially if it is a pivot-point). A finger or other focal point, carefully placed ( eye, throat, gi (as above), ), can direct uki anywhere.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:20 PM   #5
MikeLogan

United_States
Re: Poll: How realistic is doing a physically effective aikido technique with only on

No one else here trains in boogerminage? Sorry, it's after 1AM, and I haven't posted in oh so long. Couldn't resist.

michael.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:17 AM   #6
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany
Re: Poll: How realistic is doing a physically effective aikido technique with only on

A poining or punching finger is very effective, if you know where to put it.

We had some exercises doing an ikkyo with only the two pointerfingers to lead uke.

I tried and it was just rubbish. I felt an it work astonishingly well, I saw (Mitsugi Saotome) and just the two fingers made the strong French 6th dan look like a fool.

my 2 cts

Dirk
Old 02-20-2007, 08:53 AM   #7
philipsmith
Dojo: Ren Shin Kan
United Kingdom

Depends whose using the finger.
I remember an excruciating Nikkyo being applied to me with a finger of each hand by the late Doshu.

20 years later I still can't do it.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:21 AM   #8
David Humm
United Kingdom

Quote:
AikiWeb System wrote: View Post
AikiWeb Poll for the week of February 18, 2007:

How realistic is doing a physically effective aikido technique with only one finger?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Completely realistic
  • Somewhat realistic
  • Not very realistic
  • Not at all realistic
Here are the current results.
The qualifier is: co-operation or non-cooperation on the part of uke?

Co-operative practice isn't "realistic" or "effective" to use the words in the polled question.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that an uncooperative individual isn't going to freely allow any technique let alone one applied with just one finger (even with one on each hand).
Old 02-20-2007, 09:50 AM   #9
Chuck Clark

United_States

Quote:
Dave Humm wrote: View Post
The qualifier is: co-operation or non-cooperation on the part of uke?
Respectfully, (refer to post #2) When done properly a connection through one finger (even with the only cooperation being a good attack from the uke who is intent on really causing a problem for the tori) is possible. If anyone has been practicing for some time and hasn't experienced this from a skillful person, they should investigate what is possible from people that they haven't been around before.

I have felt this from a number of people in the past and I guarantee you that I attack with intent to not be "cooperative". When I'm uke with anyone they have to earn the waza and I appreciate the return favor.

Best regards,

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 02-20-2007, 06:54 PM   #10
Suru
United_States

The only time I've experienced one-finger submission was as osae-waza, with an index finger in that nasty little spot below the Adam's apple. Nage had to get me onto the floor in the first place with more than one finger though.

Clark Sensei, you may not wish to discuss it due to your USMC code of honor, but were there any major similarities between Marine combat training and Aikiwaza?

Mike, I'm still laughing about the booger joke...thank you for that.

Drew
Old 02-20-2007, 10:27 PM   #11
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

You have got to be kidding... Not at all realistic

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:16 AM   #12
garry cantrell
United_States

I interpreted the question to refer to intances wherein uke grabs the index finger of nage - and nage responds with ikkyo. I've done it that way lots, but never thought anyone was advocating that approach as anything other than a training exercise (it's pretty obvious pretty quickly when you're leading with just your finger and you're doing it wrong). So, my first thought was, no, it's not realistic at all. BUT, should someone grab your index finger (I'm immediately reminded of 3rd grade fart jokes "here! pull my finger!") I guess you don't have any choice now do you? Whaddarya going to do? Give up because your attacker has used a stupid attack? "I'm sorry, please release my finger and utilize a serious attack." So, I changed my answer to positive.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:26 AM   #13
Chuck Clark

United_States

Quote:
Drew Gardner wrote: View Post
Clark Sensei, you may not wish to discuss it due to your USMC code of honor, but were there any major similarities between Marine combat training and Aikiwaza?
Drew
Mr. Gardner, I haven't addressed you personally in a number of years. I have absolutely no idea how you might have any real, personal experience with my "USMC code of honor" that gives you a reason to bring something like that up in association with the question you asked. Some of my USMC "sensibilities", however, become hyper-sensitive when I read many of your posts. By the way, from my experience over the years reading your posts, I agree with and congratulate you that you made a very good decision when you didn't show up for an appointment to the Air Force Academy.

In answer to your question, yes, there are a number of similarities between USMC combat training and Aikiwaza.

Sincerely,

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 02-22-2007, 06:19 AM   #14
Suru
United_States

Quote:
Chuck Clark wrote: View Post
Mr. Gardner, I haven't addressed you personally in a number of years. I have absolutely no idea how you might have any real, personal experience with my "USMC code of honor" that gives you a reason to bring something like that up in association with the question you asked. Some of my USMC "sensibilities", however, become hyper-sensitive when I read many of your posts. By the way, from my experience over the years reading your posts, I agree with and congratulate you that you made a very good decision when you didn't show up for an appointment to the Air Force Academy.

In answer to your question, yes, there are a number of similarities between USMC combat training and Aikiwaza.

Sincerely,
I have never seen you in person and only know you from many old posts. I read on a seminar flier recently that you're a Marine. I was borderline obesessed with the military in general growing up, partially due to the fact that my dad was a first lieutenant in the U.S. Army and a Viet Nam vet. As for the specific Marine honor code, I know little about it other than it exists and that it serves a vital purpose to the betterment of this world. Thank you for your response.

Drew
Old 02-22-2007, 11:52 AM   #15
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

It can be done, but don't ask me to demonstrate it.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida