Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Announcements & Feedback

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 05:10 AM   #1
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Who's missing out? (On "Promotion and advertising" rhetoric)

Promotion and advertising. It appears to me that a lot of what's being talked about Aikido or Aiki wise has degraded into advertising in alignment unfortunately with modern ways of doing things.

The message given by such advertising is that you are missing out, that you must have and if you don't then you are wrong or less than.

Modern Aiki?

Promotion......ahh, gone are the days so it seems where one just promotes what he is doing, happy for those who want to do likewise and happy for those who don't.

Minds led this way and that way by the fear of missing out, shame really.

As I see it it's just unnecessary fodder for the insecure. Funny thing is it's not even needed.

Peace.G.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:42 AM   #2
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
Re: Who's missing out?

Graham. The days are not gone. Discussion can happen. When Resistance is felt...we relax more and keep doing what we do. Sometimes one needs to take a break and remember what is real.

There is an ignore button.

What we resist against gets stronger. Ignored discussion has to talk to itself.

Mary Eastland

Dare to Tenkan

Old 10-10-2012, 06:17 AM   #3
graham christian
England

Agreed Mary. It's not completely gone. I don't need an ignore button in order to ignore though and actually find no need to ignore but rather to observe.

Such above is my observation. Resistance? Nah.....quite the opposite. Calmly viewing what is.

Those of like minds can and do indeed discuss amongst themselves as you say and that's all good and of itself can be interesting, funny, educational or whatever but when it enters that which I describe it's self defeating. Through defeating ones self one builds the need to prove to others.

Masakatsu and agatsu is an interesting subject wouldn't you say?

Peace.G.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:26 AM   #4
MM
United_States

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Promotion and advertising. It appears to me that a lot of what's being talked about Aikido or Aiki wise has degraded into advertising in alignment unfortunately with modern ways of doing things.

The message given by such advertising is that you are missing out, that you must have and if you don't then you are wrong or less than.

Modern Aiki?

Promotion......ahh, gone are the days so it seems where one just promotes what he is doing, happy for those who want to do likewise and happy for those who don't.

Minds led this way and that way by the fear of missing out, shame really.

As I see it it's just unnecessary fodder for the insecure. Funny thing is it's not even needed.

Peace.G.
Would you please define what you mean by " talked about Aikido or Aiki wise has degraded into advertising"? Please point to posts or people.

Would you please define "that you must have and if you don't then you are wrong or less than"? Please point to people or posts. Especially since you've done this kind of passive aggressive insulting before and it's pointed back to me. And now, your post following on my recent posting about what I thought was "wrong" seems very coincidental.

Who are you calling "insecure"?

Your whole post seems like a passive aggressive insult to people here. So, would you mind explaining exactly, specifically, what you meant? Your whole post is about denigrating people who you think are out advertising, rather than talking about history, training, aikido, techniques, etc. Please clarify why that is so.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:02 AM   #5
graham christian
England

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Would you please define what you mean by " talked about Aikido or Aiki wise has degraded into advertising"? Please point to posts or people.

Would you please define "that you must have and if you don't then you are wrong or less than"? Please point to people or posts. Especially since you've done this kind of passive aggressive insulting before and it's pointed back to me. And now, your post following on my recent posting about what I thought was "wrong" seems very coincidental.

Who are you calling "insecure"?

Your whole post seems like a passive aggressive insult to people here. So, would you mind explaining exactly, specifically, what you meant? Your whole post is about denigrating people who you think are out advertising, rather than talking about history, training, aikido, techniques, etc. Please clarify why that is so.
Point out posts and people? No I will not. I point out a concept and a reality. To understand it one would merely have to look at modern advertising and it's message.

Whether you say something is right or wrong is of no concern to me thank you.

I don't denigrate people thank you.

So back to topic. If you don't understand then study the ways and psychology of modern advertising.

Are you missing out on anything Aikido? Do you think others are? Now that would be more to the point.

Peace.G.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:48 AM   #6
aiki-jujutsuka

sorry I am completely lost! Are you saying modern Aikido is being denigrated by the way it is being taught? Are you referring to Aikido literature or dvds? Are you saying people practice Aikido for the wrong reasons and have a very superficial view of or appreciation for Aikido?

Old 10-10-2012, 07:52 AM   #7
MM
United_States

Quote:
Point out posts and people? No I will not. I point out a concept and a reality. To understand it one would merely have to look at modern advertising and it's message.
Modern advertising is all over the place. There is no congruent, fixed "thing" labelled "modern advertising". So again, please detail out what you mean in relation to "a lot of what's being talked about Aikido or Aiki wise has degraded into advertising". You stated "a lot". Please show us the threads, posts, people who are doing all this degrading into advertising.

Quote:
Whether you say something is right or wrong is of no concern to me thank you.

I don't denigrate people thank you.
Really? Let's quote your words, "Minds led this way and that way by the fear of missing out, shame really. As I see it it's just unnecessary fodder for the insecure." You just denigrated people by calling some people insecure because of the fear of missing out. Instead of addressing a topic, you addressed people's personalities, calling them insecure, attacking their character.

Quote:
So back to topic. If you don't understand then study the ways and psychology of modern advertising.

Are you missing out on anything Aikido? Do you think others are? Now that would be more to the point.

Peace.G.
Yes, back to topic. You stated that people are degrading because they are talking about advertising or promoting aikido in an unhealthy manner. So, please give us the threads, posts, people where this is happening. If you can't, then please apologize to the aikido community for your denigrating them into insecure salespeople who are driven by fear. If you won't, then perhaps Jun can lock and/or delete this thread as I see no real purpose for it except to continue your passive aggressive attacks.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #8
Janet Rosen

Quote:
..perhaps Jun can lock and/or delete this thread as I see no real purpose for it except to continue your passive aggressive attacks.
Agreed. OP is not seeking discussion; it is personality to personality pot-stirring and should at very least be moved to "open discussions" forum.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield

Old 10-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #9
Conrad Gus

Dojo: Eclipse Budo
Canada

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
Agreed. OP is not seeking discussion; it is personality to personality pot-stirring and should at very least be moved to "open discussions" forum.
I think OP has a point, and not necessarily a personal one.

Modern culture is very advertising-driven, and we are conditioned to feel like we need to acquire something that we don't have in order to feel complete or happy. It is easy to get sucked into this feeling with aikido (or anything) and be constantly searching outside ourselves to find fulfillment, rather than just relaxing and doing the daily work it takes to realize peace, stillness, effective technique, or whatever it is our goals in aikido may be.

Of course if we have inadequate teaching or training methods, we won't get very far, so there is no shame in keeping our head up and connecting with those around us so we don't fall into a rut or develop bad habits. We can help each other on the way.

Also, I think it does not denigrate our aikido to be excited about it and want to share it with others. If someone encounters a fantastic new (to them) training method and wants to share it enthusiastically, I don't have a problem with it. That's how I choose to interpret those who are really into the aiki thing these days and want other people to know about it.

It might not be my cup of tea, but we don't have to fight about it. Nor do I have to have the "fear of missing out". I still believe there are many ways up the mountain, and no one way that is right for everybody.

Peace,

Conrad

Old 10-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #10
akiy

Hi Graham,

I agree with others -- if you wish to discuss this further, please be prepared to share specific instances of the behavior that you are pointing out.

Otherwise, the discussion can only be vague and without common understanding of the exact "thing" you're talking about -- neither of which I would classify as contributing positively to the discussion topic.

Thanks,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!

Old 10-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #11
akiy

PS: Please watch your tone, folks.

-- Jun

Old 10-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #12
graham christian
England

Quote:
Modern advertising is all over the place. There is no congruent, fixed "thing" labelled "modern advertising". So again, please detail out what you mean in relation to "a lot of what's being talked about Aikido or Aiki wise has degraded into advertising". You stated "a lot". Please show us the threads, posts, people who are doing all this degrading into advertising.

Really? Let's quote your words, "Minds led this way and that way by the fear of missing out, shame really. As I see it it's just unnecessary fodder for the insecure." You just denigrated people by calling some people insecure because of the fear of missing out. Instead of addressing a topic, you addressed people's personalities, calling them insecure, attacking their character.

Yes, back to topic. You stated that people are degrading because they are talking about advertising or promoting aikido in an unhealthy manner. So, please give us the threads, posts, people where this is happening. If you can't, then please apologize to the aikido community for your denigrating them into insecure salespeople who are driven by fear. If you won't, then perhaps Jun can lock and/or delete this thread as I see no real purpose for it except to continue your passive aggressive attacks.
You are right, modern advertising is all over the place.

Does truth denigrate people? Modern advertising does prey on peoples fears and insecurity. You act like you don't know this.

That is the topic. Thus presenting something in a way that says this is superior, you need this, you're missing out if you don't have this correlates quite snugly with advertising.

If you believe that's normal and right then just say that you agree with that way of presenting things.

It is not people or personalities of which I speak it is of presentation.

It is also not a matter of if anyone does this but rather a matter of when we do this.

I don't need to insult yours or anyones charachter or use words like 'you are saying this or that' for I have no beef with charachter or individual. Now and again I may challenge ideas, beliefs, presentation.

In the o/p I state quite clearly one can promote what they do and be happy with what they do and also happy with what others do.

I live by this rule, do you?

If I get caught up in some slanging match or even boast how great my Aikido is and therefor others are missing out then I am at that moment becoming like a pressure salesman. Presentation my friend. The question is not if? or who? but when?

Peace.G.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #13
graham christian
England

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote: View Post
Hi Graham,

I agree with others -- if you wish to discuss this further, please be prepared to share specific instances of the behavior that you are pointing out.

Otherwise, the discussion can only be vague and without common understanding of the exact "thing" you're talking about -- neither of which I would classify as contributing positively to the discussion topic.

Thanks,

-- Jun
Hi Jun. Maybe the above answer clarifies or maybe it doesn't. The reason I don't is because it's not personal, it's not aimed at a particular person. If I look over posts and point out when this happens I'm sure I will then be accused of personal attack.

When those who wish to debate the matter can agree that it is not to do with charachter or personage and can accept how we as human beings can get over exuberant and present things in the way I describe then perhaps we can review our own posts to see when we do this.

Without this first step then pointing out who said what is off topic as far as I can see and counter productive.

Of course, on the other hand, if you see through your experience that this will not happen and will lead nowhere then it will be only right for you to end the thread. In this respect I bow to your wisdom.

Peace.G.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #14
graham christian
England

Quote:
Conrad Gustafson wrote: View Post
I think OP has a point, and not necessarily a personal one.

Modern culture is very advertising-driven, and we are conditioned to feel like we need to acquire something that we don't have in order to feel complete or happy. It is easy to get sucked into this feeling with aikido (or anything) and be constantly searching outside ourselves to find fulfillment, rather than just relaxing and doing the daily work it takes to realize peace, stillness, effective technique, or whatever it is our goals in aikido may be.

Of course if we have inadequate teaching or training methods, we won't get very far, so there is no shame in keeping our head up and connecting with those around us so we don't fall into a rut or develop bad habits. We can help each other on the way.

Also, I think it does not denigrate our aikido to be excited about it and want to share it with others. If someone encounters a fantastic new (to them) training method and wants to share it enthusiastically, I don't have a problem with it. That's how I choose to interpret those who are really into the aiki thing these days and want other people to know about it.

It might not be my cup of tea, but we don't have to fight about it. Nor do I have to have the "fear of missing out". I still believe there are many ways up the mountain, and no one way that is right for everybody.

Peace,

Conrad
Thank you. A man who is happy with what he does and happy hearing about what others do.

Peace.G.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #15
Conrad Gus

Canada

Quote:
Hi Jun. Maybe the above answer clarifies or maybe it doesn't. The reason I don't is because it's not personal, it's not aimed at a particular person. If I look over posts and point out when this happens I'm sure I will then be accused of personal attack.

When those who wish to debate the matter can agree that it is not to do with charachter or personage and can accept how we as human beings can get over exuberant and present things in the way I describe then perhaps we can review our own posts to see when we do this.

Without this first step then pointing out who said what is off topic as far as I can see and counter productive.

Of course, on the other hand, if you see through your experience that this will not happen and will lead nowhere then it will be only right for you to end the thread. In this respect I bow to your wisdom.

Peace.G.
I think there was something valuable in the original post. Rather than focussing on being critical of people who promote themselves, maybe you could discuss how to not feel threatened by someone else's self-promotion or difference of opinion? If the thought is re-framed in terms of one's own feelings and reactions rather than externally, it will be less likely to be perceived as an attack. This thread is actually an interesting example of how we (as human beings) manage to suck each other into conflict. It is a skill to be able to resist getting sucked into the conflict (one of the core skills of aikido, IMHO).

If you like, you could treat this thread as a first draft, and start a new thread with a different tone - one that makes a point without pushing buttons (intentionally or unintentionally). Forgive me if I am misunderstanding your original point but I think it's worth a do-over if you are still inclined.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #16
akiy

Quote:
The reason I don't is because it's not personal, it's not aimed at a particular person. If I look over posts and point out when this happens I'm sure I will then be accused of personal attack.
If you can truly stand behind what you say that what you are bringing up is not a personal matter and, rather, that you are pointing out a behavior that you see in the manner of communication here on AikiWeb, I would welcome that kind of discussion and would appreciate having specifics being discussed. I would hope that others would be able to appreciate these kinds of specific, non-personal behaviors being brought up as well.

So, again -- if you wish to discuss this further, please be prepared to share specific instances of the behavior that you are pointing out.

-- Jun

Old 10-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #17
Gary David

United_States
Re: Who's missing out? (On "Promotion and advertising" rhetoric)

Folks
It seems to me that the only discussion here (on Aikiweb) is when everyone is comfortable with the parameters of the discussion..........otherwise it is called something else. Sort of makes me think what the discussion was like way back when everyone agreed the world was flat...discuss away about flat world concepts.... The moment round world was brought up it turned into something else......with the flat worlders yelling the most at the few round worlders. You know if a flat world works for you that is fine, but keep in mind that if you sail to far west (or east) you really won't drop off the edge..... Oh, and by the way, the earth revolves around the sun.....

Gary

Old 10-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #18
Conrad Gus

Canada

Quote:
Gary Welborn wrote: View Post
Folks
It seems to me that the only discussion here (on Aikiweb) is when everyone is comfortable with the parameters of the discussion..........otherwise it is called something else. Sort of makes me think what the discussion was like way back when everyone agreed the world was flat...discuss away about flat world concepts.... The moment round world was brought up it turned into something else......with the flat worlders yelling the most at the few round worlders. You know if a flat world works for you that is fine, but keep in mind that if you sail to far west (or east) you really won't drop off the edge..... Oh, and by the way, the earth revolves around the sun.....

Gary
I think the community is fine with disagreement, and that there is a fairly strong consensus that personal sniping ruins the forums for everyone.

Now what's this about the earth revolving around the sun? RECANT I SAY!

Old 10-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #19
graham christian
England

Quote:
I think there was something valuable in the original post. Rather than focussing on being critical of people who promote themselves, maybe you could discuss how to not feel threatened by someone else's self-promotion or difference of opinion? If the thought is re-framed in terms of one's own feelings and reactions rather than externally, it will be less likely to be perceived as an attack. This thread is actually an interesting example of how we (as human beings) manage to suck each other into conflict. It is a skill to be able to resist getting sucked into the conflict (one of the core skills of aikido, IMHO).

If you like, you could treat this thread as a first draft, and start a new thread with a different tone - one that makes a point without pushing buttons (intentionally or unintentionally). Forgive me if I am misunderstanding your original point but I think it's worth a do-over if you are still inclined.
Ha, ha, maybe you are right. Maybe I am guilty of presenting it in an overexuberant way myself.

To me it's a clear concept and thus presenting things from that clarity all together leads to misinterpretation. However, on review if I were to start a new thread it would probably have to be about five new threads for that one concept.

Otherwise I could always use the word I instead.

Broken down the o/p subject is this 1) Promoting what you do only which means putting it there and sharing. 2) Examining the principles behind modern advertising and seeing how they are similar principles to pressure selling. 3) Seeing and understanding those principles finding out where we operate from the same principles, mostly unwittingly. 4) Becoming aware of just how often we do and just how unnecessary it actually is.

Now the point is it's not to do with selling or being a salesman literally so can you tell me an example of when you have operated from such principles 'like' a salesman? I'll give you an example:

I boast about something. At such time I am advertising in said arrogant manner. I am at that time showing the traits described in the o/p.

I say how my Aikido is the Real Aikido or the best Aikido or similar. I am now entering into the same realm of what a pressure salesman does for he too has it, but for him as a job, to prove his product is the best or the real deal. Thus I am acting like a salesman.

Imagine applying this to politics ha, ha. You could end up with a super salesman prime minister or president......ha, ha. Perish the thought.

Peace.G.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #20
MM
United_States

Quote:
Ha, ha, maybe you are right. Maybe I am guilty of presenting it in an overexuberant way myself.

To me it's a clear concept and thus presenting things from that clarity all together leads to misinterpretation. However, on review if I were to start a new thread it would probably have to be about five new threads for that one concept.

Broken down the o/p subject is this 1) Promoting what you do only which means putting it there and sharing. 2) Examining the principles behind modern advertising and seeing how they are similar principles to pressure selling. 3) Seeing and understanding those principles finding out where we operate from the same principles, mostly unwittingly. 4) Becoming aware of just how often we do and just how unnecessary it actually is.

Now the point is it's not to do with selling or being a salesman literally so can you tell me an example of when you have operated from such principles 'like' a salesman? I'll give you an example:

I boast about something. At such time I am advertising in said arrogant manner. I am at that time showing the traits described in the o/p.

I say how my Aikido is the Real Aikido or the best Aikido or similar. I am now entering into the same realm of what a pressure salesman does for he too has it, but for him as a job, to prove his product is the best or the real deal. Thus I am acting like a salesman.

Imagine applying this to politics ha, ha. You could end up with a super salesman prime minister or president......ha, ha. Perish the thought.

Peace.G.
Originally, you stated, "It appears to me that a lot of what's being talked about Aikido or Aiki wise has degraded into advertising". I asked for you to give specific examples of exactly where you see "a lot".

Originally, you stated, "The message given by such advertising is that you are missing out, that you must have and if you don't then you are wrong or less than". I would like to know specific examples of where you've seen such advertising.

Originally, you stated, "Minds led this way and that way by the fear of missing out, shame really. As I see it it's just unnecessary fodder for the insecure." I would like to know specific examples of where this is happening, as you've stated it happens "a lot".

Ewen Ebsworth posted questions that were left unanswered. Conrad Gustafson brought up good points about modern advertising and training. But it seemed to me that both posts plus Janet's did not look favorably on the actual original post. IMO, everything after your first post has been damage control because you were called on your passive aggressive denigrating post.

Back to topic. You stated that people are degrading because they are talking about advertising or promoting aikido in an unhealthy manner. So, please give us the threads, posts, people where this is happening. If you can't, then please apologize to the aikido community for your denigrating them as insecure salespeople who are driven by fear.

As to modern advertising and aikido, I think Conrad Gustafson's post #9 was a great start but should be moved to a proper thread of its own.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #21
Conrad Gus

Canada
Talking Re: Who's missing out?

Quote:

Peace.G.
I basically agree with you, but we have to realize that there are always going to be people that think certain aikido is fantastic and certain other aikido is worse than worthless. It's a legitimate opinion that a person might express without necessarily trying to "advertise" something.

Whether a person perceives an opinion as advertising or reacts to it as such is not under the control of the original opinion-expresser. If it really is opinion and one disagrees, express disagreement (or not) and move on.

Of course, it is also possible that the opinion is being expressed for the purposes of promotion, in which case it is up to the receiver to accept or reject the message (agree or disagree). If it really is advertising, decide whether you want what is advertised and move on.

We don't argue with the television when it tells us that a brand of noodles other than our favorite is "the best", but I do think that what you call "pressure selling" is counter-productive and annoying. It turns me off and seems kind of cheesy (unless it's for noodles, in which case cheesy is a good thing).

Conrad

Last edited by Conrad Gus : 10-10-2012 at 01:19 PM. Reason: grammar again - D'OH!

Old 10-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #22
graham christian
England

Quote:
I basically agree with you, but we have to realize that there are always going to be people that think certain aikido is fantastic and certain other aikido is worse than worthless. It's a legitimate opinion that a person might express without necessarily trying to "advertise" something.

Whether a person perceives an opinion as advertising or reacts to it as such is not under the control of the original opinion-expresser. If it really is opinion and one disagrees, express disagreement (or not) and move on.

Of course, it is also possible that the opinion is being expressed for the purposes of promotion, in which case it is up to the receiver to accept or reject the message (agree or disagree). If it really is advertising, decide whether you want what is advertised and move on.

We don't argue with the television when it tells us that a brand of noodles other than our favorite is "the best", but I do think that what you call "pressure selling" is counter-productive and annoying. It turns me off and seems kind of cheesy (unless it's for noodles, in which case cheesy is a good thing).

Conrad
Yes indeed but having an opinion that 'a' is useless may well be normal but saying it does not make it legitimate or reasonable does it? That particular example is neither 'advertising' nor 'selling as better or supreme' but it is blatantly rude and offensive wouldn't you say?

In my opinion it cannot actually be true either for what anyone says is useless is obviously useful to those who do it. When I call someones art useless I may not be 'selling' but what am I doing?

Looking at what we say and knowing when it's negative is the starting point.

By the way cheesy is what I would call that guy doing the gangnam style rapping and dancing.

Peace.G.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #23
Conrad Gus

Canada

Quote:
Yes indeed but having an opinion that 'a' is useless may well be normal but saying it does not make it legitimate or reasonable does it? That particular example is neither 'advertising' nor 'selling as better or supreme' but it is blatantly rude and offensive wouldn't you say?

In my opinion it cannot actually be true either for what anyone says is useless is obviously useful to those who do it. When I call someones art useless I may not be 'selling' but what am I doing?

Looking at what we say and knowing when it's negative is the starting point.

By the way cheesy is what I would call that guy doing the gangnam style rapping and dancing.

Peace.G.
If someone expresses an opinion in a manner that is aggressive, rude, or offensive, I agree that there is nothing constructive about it and they should keep it to themselves or be ignored.

It is possible to express an opinion, even a negative one, in a respectful manner. I think it takes a certain amount of discipline, however, to do this. It also takes discipline to not take a criticism or a negative opinion personally.

Free (respectful) speech!

Cheers,

Conrad

Old 10-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #24
Conrad Gus

Canada

For the record, I think astrology is useless. It can even be harmful if people take it too seriously.

I can say that without worrying too much about the feelings of astrology-lovers, because I framed it as an opinion, and didn't bash astrology-lovers personally. No doubt many of them will be out there right now shaking their heads and feeling sorry for me in my ignorance.

Conrad

Old 10-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #25
graham christian
England

Quote:
If someone expresses an opinion in a manner that is aggressive, rude, or offensive, I agree that there is nothing constructive about it and they should keep it to themselves or be ignored.

It is possible to express an opinion, even a negative one, in a respectful manner. I think it takes a certain amount of discipline, however, to do this. It also takes discipline to not take a criticism or a negative opinion personally.

Free (respectful) speech!

Cheers,

Conrad
Discipline indeed.

Peace.G.

Closed Thread