Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Testing

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #1
Victoria Pitt
Dojo: Shinjinkai, Chicago, IL
United_States
Blush! I test on Saturday: Now, I'm feeling a bit nervous.

I test for 5th Kyu on Saturday. I should have done it six months ago but due to injury-travel, I wasn't around during testing or could not.

I have never done a rank test before or any test in front of a bunch a people where everyone is going to know if I pass or fail. I am about 98% sure I will pass- or at least I was up until Monday night where everything started to fall apart. In some aspects, I am starting to wonder if I "overtrained" for my test. It can happen in other sports or even in a school exam. I usually don't crack open my textbooks the night before a test. Either I know it or I don't at that point and staying up all night to be tired for my exam just doesn't work. Anyway, techniques that I was doing two weeks ago with confidence and effectiveness are falling apart now. The mudansha will give it to me when I practice with them- the yudansha will not. I have been practicing almost exclusively with yudansha the last two weeks for my test and they are not dropping like flies when I do stuff to them (as they shouldn't but its kinda funny). Now my confidence is starting to wain because I know Sensei will pounce on me in front of everyone if I screw up. I'm okay with that, I understand that. I just don't want to screw up.

I had a goal to be elegant and precise when I took my test. Right now, I'll be lucky if actually drop people. There are a few people who I know if they take ukemi from me will make me look pro. I don't want that though. I want to make sure I am doing it right and effectively. The test is more than just if I "kinda-sorta" have the idea to me. I want to be able to say "yeah, I know this well enough that I can help you with it when you need to learn it too". Mind you- this isn't saying that I am an expert. I'm not. But to me, it means I've gained enough mastery over it that where maybe I don't do something 100% of the time correct, I should be able to feel/see where I did it wrong now. I should be able to see/feel what is wrong when someone does it to me.

When I practiced this past Monday, my uke decided to throw me in the middle of the technique. I was properly chastised. I appreciated it. A lot of people there know I am there to LEARN it... not just socialize, not just be part of a community, but to attain the skill. I know that is why sometimes some people in the dojo are a bit harder on me, I think they can see the desire to learn and learn correctly. But it is frustrating that less than a week before my test, I now feel like I am doing everything 20 times worse than I was two weeks ago. My will is very strong. I am very strong, but will and brute strength is not the reason why I am here. If I were, I'd be better served lifting weights in the gym. What was proven to me this week is that my technique really still is sucking.

I'm pretty certain I'll pass, but its going to be really ugly. I've got three days now to try to clean it up.

I was pretty nervous about testing in front of so many people but I've had a few "test" runs in front of the class now. Once you start to get going, all I can focus on at that point is uke and listening to whatever Sensei is asking/telling me in the background. I start to sweat, I get tired, but I know I have to keep going. I can feel the eyes on me, but I know that I need to stay focused because I know that Sensei will know if I start worrying about the people looking at me. Still, I'm starting to get a few heebee-geebess now when I had none before just because of how bad my practice was on Monday night. That's not the kind of performance I want to display in front of my dojo and all of our invited guests that we will be having on Saturday (it's a big day for us- all kyus except 1st have a test, we have a few dan tests and its also the day of our big holiday party. We will have all kinds of people there that day who aren't normally in the dojo who will be watching so the pressure is on).

I will do my best. My uniform will be pressed and cleaned, and I will focus... but geesh... I go back to my Clydesdale in a herd of deer analogy.

Ah well, I guess someone has to provide the comic relief on Saturday.

~Do one thing each day that scares you...~
Old 12-09-2009, 11:44 AM   #2
chillzATL
United_States
Re: I test on Saturday: Now, I'm feeling a bit nervous.

You'll be fine. Just remember that you're among friends and that most of them have been where you are and felt the same way. Anyone who doesn't likely has never tested and will soon learn the error of their ways. After the first or second technique you likely won't even be aware that there is anyone else in the room with you besides Sensei and uke. Right now you're just over-thinking everything, worrying if this or that will be correct. once you get going you'll never think of that again. You'll just be reacting and your technique will simply be what it is at this point in your training. What you know will come through far more than what you think you should know, which is what you want! You'll have a blast!

What does your 5th kyu testing consist of?

Last edited by chillzATL : 12-09-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:56 AM   #3
lbb
United_States

In western culture, we commonly praise excellence and give approval to people who express a desire to do very well, but that desire can be a double-edged sword. One of my sensei's common corrections is, "This is not your space" -- said while raising his hands far above his head or far out to the side. He's talking about the physical dimension, but I think it has a metaphorical meaning, too. As an aspiring fifth kyu, there's a degree of competence that should be "in your space". If you try to reach for what's beyond that, you risk not taking control of what should be in your space. That, I think, should be the focus when going into a test (I've got an upcoming test myself, btw, a week from Saturday, so this is something I'm reminding myself of a lot lately). The people who are judging your test all know what's appropriate to expect of a 5th kyu. That doesn't include mastery of any technique, even the simplest...just a demonstration that you're beginning to learn and to develop solid fundamentals. Trust your training and trust your fundamentals -- you're going to be just fine.

p.s. I think it's cruel and unusual to have a test in December. Worst. Month. EVAR.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:05 PM   #4
Victoria Pitt
United_States

This is my test. I'm lucky... starting next year we'll have shorter tests at all ranks so I won't have such a murderous 4th Kyu test (then again... knowing Sensei... lol)

I know them all... just on a few of them, my stance switching is terrible (my biggest weakness I feel are my feet and stance switching). I was having problems getting off the line but I have been having people just randomly do Shomenuchi on me from standing and sitting without me doing technique so I can start to "feel" where it's coming from and try to get out of the way. I actually like that little practice I made up because it makes me have to be alert since I don't know what direction they're going to come at me from.

Quote:
Gokyu (5th Kyu)

Taisabaki Ho (all against Katatedori Gyaku Hanmi):

* Irimi: entering movements (option 1 and option 2)
* Tenkan: Turning movements (option 1 and option 2)
* Kaiten: Rotary movements (option 1 and option 2)
* Irimi-Tenkan: Entering and Turning movements (option 1 and option 2)

Kogeki

* Shomenuchi: downward strike to face or head
* Yokomenuchi: strike to side of the head or neck
* Tsuki: thrusting strike

Ukemi:

* Mae Ukemi: forward breakfall
* Ushiro Ukeimi: backward breakfall
* Zenpo Kaiten Ukemi: forward roll
* Ushiro Kaiten Ukemi: backward roll

TECHNIQUES:

Katedori Gyaku Hanmi

* Ikkyo
* Shihonage
* Kaitenage (uchi and soto variations)

Katatedori Ai Hamni

* Ikkyo
* Kotegaeshi (ura and omote.)

Katadori

* Ikkyo

Shomenuchi (Suwari Waza and Tachi Waza)

* Ikkyo
* Shomentate

Kokyudosa (seated exercise)

Buki Waza: Weapons

5 basic ken kamae

Ken

Suburi: Shomenuchi, Kesagri, Tsuki
Happo Giri I (sliding) and II (stepping)

Old 12-09-2009, 12:25 PM   #5
ramenboy
Dojo: midwest aikido center

you'll do fine vic.

if you know who your uke will be for the test, start to work with that persn for the next few days, so you get a good rhythm.

see you on the mat

practice hard
Old 12-09-2009, 12:29 PM   #6
brunotex

Dojo: Brazil Aikikai - Instituto Takemussu
Brazil

I always tell my friends (and myself) when we are preparing for a test: Don´t try to look better than you really are.

Godd test!!

Bruno
Old 12-09-2009, 12:42 PM   #7
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Hey a week before my first test I had a complete melt down... in class no less... and was sure I didn't know a thing. It went just fine. I have no doubt you will have a great test.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:50 PM   #8
Victoria Pitt
United_States

Quote:
Jerome Cervantes wrote: View Post
you'll do fine vic.

if you know who your uke will be for the test, start to work with that persn for the next few days, so you get a good rhythm.

see you on the mat
See, I think you guys must do it differently. I have no idea who my uke will be. Sensei will call out "UKE!" and whomever runs up and gets to me first will be my uke. Lol, which is sorta interesting to see who is going to be my "victim" or who can sprint the fastest on the mat.

As I said, I can think of a few people who I'd like to be my uke for my test because they'll make it look like I'm killing them. I have a hard time keeping a straight face with them sometimes (you know me, I'm always snarking at something) but they need to go down because I made them go down, not because I am starring in a bad martial arts film.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:56 PM   #9
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

One of my instructors would keep switching uke for me as I prepared on the week before my 1st queue test. Then the night before...I pulled a yudansha who's about 6' tall...and an ex boxer.

Made for an interesting exam alright. You'll do fine.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 12-09-2009, 01:02 PM   #10
ramenboy

Quote:
Victoria Pitt wrote: View Post
...I have a hard time keeping a straight face with them sometimes (you know me, I'm always snarking at something) but they need to go down because I made them go down, not because I am starring in a bad martial arts film.
THERE ARE N0 BAD MARTIAL ARTS FILMS!!!!! :P

nope,we do it pretty much the same, but you can always ask a 'favorite' uke to run faster than the others when sensei calls!

practice hard
Old 12-09-2009, 01:02 PM   #11
Janet Rosen

At 5th kyu it is not expected that you can pin or throw an uncooperative uke! It is expected that you show basic etiquette, recognize the names of the techniques being asked for, and can show the gross movements of each one with a certain amount of presence/flow.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 12-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #12
chillzATL
United_States

Quote:
See, I think you guys must do it differently. I have no idea who my uke will be. Sensei will call out "UKE!" and whomever runs up and gets to me first will be my uke. Lol, which is sorta interesting to see who is going to be my "victim" or who can sprint the fastest on the mat.

As I said, I can think of a few people who I'd like to be my uke for my test because they'll make it look like I'm killing them. I have a hard time keeping a straight face with them sometimes (you know me, I'm always snarking at something) but they need to go down because I made them go down, not because I am starring in a bad martial arts film.
I enjoy that fact that we get to choose our uke. We do so much in testing that I can't imagine having someone who I wasn't completely comfortable with! They're up there to help you look good after all! Though no matter what you do your sensei will know if your technique is good. Just tell your favorite person to run like hell when Sensei calls for someone!

Thanks for posting your gokyu testing requirements. I don't recall seeing another organizations kyu testing requirements or if I have, it's been years. Yours is very different from ours in content. We also don't test for a specific rank, you simply test and based on performance and what you're asked to do (some parts are random), Sensei decides your rank afterwards. Gokyu and Yonkyu have the same core requirements, as do Sankyu through ikkyu, but the optionals you're randomly asked to perform and number of them varies greatly as you go up in rank. Thanks!
Old 12-09-2009, 01:47 PM   #13
Victoria Pitt
United_States

Quote:
Jason Casteel wrote: View Post
I enjoy that fact that we get to choose our uke. We do so much in testing that I can't imagine having someone who I wasn't completely comfortable with! They're up there to help you look good after all! Though no matter what you do your sensei will know if your technique is good. Just tell your favorite person to run like hell when Sensei calls for someone!

Thanks for posting your gokyu testing requirements. I don't recall seeing another organizations kyu testing requirements or if I have, it's been years. Yours is very different from ours in content. We also don't test for a specific rank, you simply test and based on performance and what you're asked to do (some parts are random), Sensei decides your rank afterwards. Gokyu and Yonkyu have the same core requirements, as do Sankyu through ikkyu, but the optionals you're randomly asked to perform and number of them varies greatly as you go up in rank. Thanks!
I've seen other's and I can tell that we're pretty different. What I have seen is that we seem to have waaaay more stuff for each rank. Still, this is the last rank test with the "long form" requirements- they will change next year to not so much. I am curious to see what is going to happen.

I also kind of like NOT knowing who uke is going to be for the simple reason that if you know your technique, it doesn't matter who uke is, it should work. We have some real extremes in size when it comes to the guys in my dojo. I am thinking specifically about two guys right now.. one is tall like a basketball guy but isn't that much heavier. One guy I swear is the size of Steven Segal. He's tall and he's big. He's got to be like 6'3, 6'5" and 260-280lbs. What I get away with with others in the class (I have a little more muscle on me than maybe I should) I CANNOT get away with Mr. Steven Segal- like dude. The day I dropped him from some strange (to me) technique was like "OMG". I didn't believe I had actually done that. I thought I he was faking it until sensei heard me going on and walked over to ask me to do it again and show him. I was able to drop this guy again and it was confirmed that I was doing it and he wasn't falling for my benefit. I LOVE when I have to go against someone bigger than I am or way stronger because that really tells me when I am getting something or not.

Now mind you- I pray to god Mr. Steven Segal -look alike does not offer to take ukemi from me on Saturday. I'll DIE from effort- but if he offers to do it, I think I know my stuff enough to make it work on him.

The only thing different that I wish I could do is that on some of the taller guys- I would never do atemi to the face on them in the real world. I still do the technique but their balls are usually closer to my fist than their face (I'm only 5' 3") so I'd punch them there then move forward.

But that is kinda frowned upon on in the dojo and probably isn't a good idea to attempt during a rank test... pity.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:57 PM   #14
ramenboy

Just Shut Up And Test Vic!!!!!!!!

practice hard
Old 12-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #15
Victoria Pitt
United_States

Quote:
Jerome Cervantes wrote: View Post
Just Shut Up And Test Vic!!!!!!!!

I kinda wasn't given the option if I want to test or not, Jerry.

So long as I don't hurt my back again (knock on tatami mats) or break something between now and Saturday, I'll test- if I want to or not.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:15 PM   #16
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Victoria:

You seem to be VERY ANXIOUS about taking this test. I would suggest that you start drinking heavily now. By the time Saturday rolls around, you will be sufficiently chilled to do just fine on your test.

On Second thought, it is ONLY a test. Nothing really lost, nothing really gained. You have already learned what you need to know for the test. You are simply being asked to demonstrate that with which you already know and can do.

Then again, as the old saying goes " a bottle in front of me, or a frontal lobotomy?"

Good Luck although I doubt you need luck!

Marc Abrams
Old 12-09-2009, 02:25 PM   #17
chillzATL
United_States

Quote:
I've seen other's and I can tell that we're pretty different. What I have seen is that we seem to have waaaay more stuff for each rank. Still, this is the last rank test with the "long form" requirements- they will change next year to not so much. I am curious to see what is going to happen.

I also kind of like NOT knowing who uke is going to be for the simple reason that if you know your technique, it doesn't matter who uke is, it should work. We have some real extremes in size when it comes to the guys in my dojo. I am thinking specifically about two guys right now.. one is tall like a basketball guy but isn't that much heavier. One guy I swear is the size of Steven Segal. He's tall and he's big. He's got to be like 6'3, 6'5" and 260-280lbs. What I get away with with others in the class (I have a little more muscle on me than maybe I should) I CANNOT get away with Mr. Steven Segal- like dude. The day I dropped him from some strange (to me) technique was like "OMG". I didn't believe I had actually done that. I thought I he was faking it until sensei heard me going on and walked over to ask me to do it again and show him. I was able to drop this guy again and it was confirmed that I was doing it and he wasn't falling for my benefit. I LOVE when I have to go against someone bigger than I am or way stronger because that really tells me when I am getting something or not.

Now mind you- I pray to god Mr. Steven Segal -look alike does not offer to take ukemi from me on Saturday. I'll DIE from effort- but if he offers to do it, I think I know my stuff enough to make it work on him.

The only thing different that I wish I could do is that on some of the taller guys- I would never do atemi to the face on them in the real world. I still do the technique but their balls are usually closer to my fist than their face (I'm only 5' 3") so I'd punch them there then move forward.

But that is kinda frowned upon on in the dojo and probably isn't a good idea to attempt during a rank test... pity.
Our gokyu and yonkyu testing consists of the following:

5-10 minutes oral testing on the history of aikido, philosophy, O'sensei, our founder and techniques. This is followed by demonatrations of aiki-taiso and leads into our 15 basic techniques (both sides, some have several variations that you perform as well). Next are optionals such as 5 techniques against a specific attack, 5 demostrations of the same technique from different attacks, etc, basically whatever sensei calls for, you never know! We then go into kokyudosa, followed by suwari-waza, hanmi handachi, tanto tori, bokken tori and jo tori. Then comes jodo randori, followed by general randori with 5-6 uke and then ryokatatori randori (with a few more uke) until you simply can't continue and drop from exhaustion. All in all it takes about an hour or so and you usually want to puke, but it's gotta be the most fun lead up to vomitting that one can have! Oh I also forgot 5, 8, 21 and 31 move jo kata.

balltemi is always a good option when you can get it! Nothing gets an attacker (male) lightened up quite like it!

Be sure and report back on your thoughts on testing, though I can guarantee you that while you might be nervous now, you're going to be extremely proud of yourself afterwards, as you should be. Enjoy the moment!

Last edited by chillzATL : 12-09-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:37 PM   #18
Victoria Pitt
United_States

Quote:
Our gokyu and yonkyu testing consists of the following:

5-10 minutes oral testing on the history of aikido, philosophy, O'sensei, our founder and techniques. This is followed by demonatrations of aiki-taiso and leads into our 15 basic techniques (both sides, some have several variations that you perform as well). Next are optionals such as 5 techniques against a specific attack, 5 demostrations of the same technique from different attacks, etc, basically whatever sensei calls for, you never know! We then go into kokyudosa, followed by suwari-waza, hanmi handachi, tanto tori, bokken tori and jo tori. Then comes jodo randori, followed by general randori with 5-6 uke and then ryokatatori randori (with a few more uke) until you simply can't continue and drop from exhaustion. All in all it takes about an hour or so and you usually want to puke, but it's gotta be the most fun lead up to vomitting that one can have! Oh I also forgot 5, 8, 21 and 31 move jo kata.

balltemi is always a good option when you can get it! Nothing gets an attacker (male) lightened up quite like it!

Be sure and report back on your thoughts on testing, though I can guarantee you that while you might be nervous now, you're going to be extremely proud of yourself afterwards, as you should be. Enjoy the moment!
Geesh! What is your Shodan requirement then?!

Old 12-09-2009, 02:49 PM   #19
chillzATL
United_States

Quote:
Geesh! What is your Shodan requirement then?!
well nikkyu and ikkyu are similar, except the 15 basic techniques are replaced by the 50 basic (both sides, plus variations) and the optional random techniques become more complex (keashi-waza, shime-waza, koshi-waza, keri-waza, etc.). The intensity level on everything is cranked up accordingly. Shodan would be similar to those, but again optionals become more complex and the intensity of everything goes up. Only yudansha participate as uke for dan testings. Randori's tend to look like a bar brawl from an intensity standpoint. They also do a teaching skit to simulate things one might encounter teaching their own class. Oh and all ranks are required to submit a written thesis afterwards before officially getting their rank and shousho. Just a page or two for kyu's and 15+ for dan rankings.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:56 PM   #20
Victoria Pitt
United_States

Quote:
well nikkyu and ikkyu are similar, except the 15 basic techniques are replaced by the 50 basic (both sides, plus variations) and the optional random techniques become more complex (keashi-waza, shime-waza, koshi-waza, keri-waza, etc.). The intensity level on everything is cranked up accordingly. Shodan would be similar to those, but again optionals become more complex and the intensity of everything goes up. Only yudansha participate as uke for dan testings. Randori's tend to look like a bar brawl from an intensity standpoint. They also do a teaching skit to simulate things one might encounter teaching their own class. Oh and all ranks are required to submit a written thesis afterwards before officially getting their rank and shousho. Just a page or two for kyu's and 15+ for dan rankings.
Wow. More power to you guys. That seems insane to me.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:01 PM   #21
chillzATL
United_States

Quote:
Wow. More power to you guys. That seems insane to me.
haha that's the thing about crazy people. On the outside looking in, they all seem nuts, but once you hang around them for a bit, crazy starts to seem normal!

Good luck on that test!
Old 12-09-2009, 08:27 PM   #22
Carrie Campbell
United_States

Hi, Victoria! Good luck on Saturday if you can find your way through the snow.

Try thinking of the test as a practice test. Find a couple people to help you before or after practice-- someone to call out techniques and an uke to practice with. Maybe Jerry will help quiz you.

During the test, ignore everyone except your uke and sensei's voice. When I tested for 5th kyu with USAF, it was at the end of my first big seminar (probably about 40 people watching). It was a little shock to come back afterward and remember they were all there, but they were very supportive.

I'm also 5'3" if I stretch... While it seems counter-intuitive, with bigger (and for me, stronger) ukes especially, relaxing seems to work best. Try to stay calm; stick a song in your head if you need to. Once you have uke moving, keep leading uke around until the throw or pin; try not to stop.

If you start the "wrong" technique, that's okay. Finish it. Then do the "correct" technique. The important thing as I believe Mary mentioned is to move (out of the way). At least that's the type of advice that's helped me.

Don't forget to get some rest the night(s) before, eat, drink enough fluids, bend your knees, breathe, etc.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:50 AM   #23
Eva Antonia
Dojo: CERIA
Belgium

Dear Victoria,

I wish you much luck, presence of mind and good physical shape for Saturday!

But...I have a question:
What is "ushiro ukemi - backwards breakfall"?????
In our dojo, ushiro ukemi is just back roll, and near to no one is able to do a backwards breakfall (would be called ushiro otoshi). I once saw a guy in a seminar doing it, but it is certainly not required of 5th kyus. I asked one of the guys who is doing very, very brilliant tobu ukemi (forward breakfall; mae ukemi in our dojo is again only a forward roll) to teach me that one, and he replied he couldn't.

How are you doing them? I'm still unconfortable about violent backwards falls, especially if someone sweeps your legs away.

Thanks a lot in advance for enlightening!!!

Best regards,

Eva
Old 12-10-2009, 05:15 AM   #24
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

I´m certainly not Victoria but keep in mind that a breakfall does not necessary mean "going full circle" but rather that you fall straight down (as opposed to a roll).
So a backwards breakfall could be both a direct fall (more like getting your feet pulled out from beneath or the classic banana-peel-slapstick) or a complete breakfall (like tobu ukemi but backwards).

Quote:
Eva Röben wrote: View Post
What is "ushiro ukemi - backwards breakfall"?????
In our dojo, ushiro ukemi is just back roll, and near to no one is able to do a backwards breakfall (would be called ushiro otoshi). I once saw a guy in a seminar doing it, but it is certainly not required of 5th kyus. I asked one of the guys who is doing very, very brilliant tobu ukemi (forward breakfall; mae ukemi in our dojo is again only a forward roll) to teach me that one, and he replied he couldn't.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:48 AM   #25
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Bruno Teixeira wrote: View Post
I always tell my friends (and myself) when we are preparing for a test: Don´t try to look better than you really are.
Wow. That's some of the best advice in this thread.

(the corollary, of course, being, "Don't kid yourself that you're better than you really are.")