Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-08-2008, 02:44 AM   #101
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Re: the hakama,why cant we all get along?

Quote:
Jack Sharp wrote: View Post
one World One Rule One Word..........
Fascism?

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 03-08-2008, 04:30 AM   #102
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States
Re: Hakama helps

Quote:
Stefan Stenudd wrote: View Post
I think that the hakama helps to improve your posture, among other things.

The white keikogi and the black hakama meet at the center. From the center and downward is the flow that gives you balance and stability, illustrated by the hakama, and from the center and up is what you create, such as aikido techniques, illustrated by the white keikogi.

So the white and the black are like heaven and earth, and your center is in the very middle of that universe.

Also, as many others have said - it looks cool
I'm still waiting for them to come out with the Hakama that has velcro straps that you don't have to tie! I hope the sound of the velcro doesn't bother too many people! LOL!!!

Old 03-08-2008, 08:50 AM   #103
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Quote:
well i quite aikido,...
All because you *couldn't* wear your precious hakama in a dojo that reserves them for higher ranks? It seems to me the ego and vanity are firmly and solely yours.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:34 PM   #104
Jennifer Yabut

Dojo: Old City Aikido
United_States

Quote:
well i quite aikido,im tired of the division,im goin back to KARATE, atleast there i can train for advanacement in technique and rank and not train for some pants that some people have put WAY to much on.r
WHOA...hold it right there. If I recall correctly, *you* were the one who was complaining about not being able to wear your hakama at a certain dojo, because you didn't have the required rank. So who *really* is the one who is placing too much stock into wearing a hakama?

And what makes you think that karate (which is a *broad* term for several different striking arts) is less divided? Not to mention how many folks place WAY too much emphasis on colored belts.

No matter which art you choose to train in, you *will* have to follow rules that you may *not* like. And you will also find that different schools have different rules - even within the same style.

"The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them." - Miyamoto Musashi
Old 03-08-2008, 10:12 PM   #105
Chris Lacey

Dojo: Aiki Institute of Spokane Roshinkan Aikido Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
Hyperinflated bellies, too...

B,
R
It's not hyperinflated....I am inhaling.....really...

--------
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
--------
Old 03-09-2008, 06:27 PM   #106
ramenboy
Dojo: midwest aikido center

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
All because you *couldn't* wear your precious hakama in a dojo that reserves them for higher ranks? It seems to me the ego and vanity are firmly and solely yours.
seems that's pretty much it.

all because he couldn't wear a skirt he swore he could care less about.

good luck on your endeavors in other martial arts.

please don't "quite" them too, if a dojo tells you you can't wear a coloured belt belt until you've achieved one. although i've heard there are some schools that actually only wear a white belt until you've achieved shodan. uh oh..... :P
Old 03-11-2008, 05:35 AM   #107
lbb
United_States

Quote:
well i quite aikido,im tired of the division,im goin back to KARATE, atleast there i can train for advanacement in technique and rank and not train for some pants that some people have put WAY to much on.
If I were to go back and start training again at my old karate dojo, I'd be wearing a white belt until sensei told me otherwise. In the meantime, no doubt I'd have to put up with a certain number of people who joined after I left treating me as a newb. Just to let you know, so you don't get any rude shocks when you go back to KARATE.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:01 AM   #108
Jennifer Yabut

Dojo: Old City Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Jerome Cervantes wrote: View Post
please don't "quite" them too, if a dojo tells you you can't wear a coloured belt belt until you've achieved one. although i've heard there are some schools that actually only wear a white belt until you've achieved shodan. uh oh..... :P
Coming from a Tae Kwon Do background myself, it took me some time adjusting to the whole "everyone's a white belt until shodan" concept. I couldn't figure out how folks knew who was "sempai" amongst the kyu ranks. After spending some time training, I found that one instinctively...knows...who is "senior" - simply by watching how the other executes techniques, takes ukemi, etc. Now...I prefer just having white and black belts. If anything else, it saves me the extra expense of buying a new colored belt after every test...

"The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them." - Miyamoto Musashi
Old 03-12-2008, 01:22 PM   #109
SentWest
Dojo: East County Budokai
United_States
Re: the hakama helps

Quote:
Carl Thompson wrote: View Post
One thing I find interesting is that the hakama is not just a military garment. It's formal wear and includes many varieties of which the aikido hakama is just one.
Good that you brought this up. Hakama arguments seem somewhat like necktie arguments. Sometimes the bottom line comes down to "I dunno, it's just what's worn."

I think both hakama and neckties are rather cool looking, and I'll stand by that argument when all else fails.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:45 PM   #110
ramenboy
Dojo: midwest aikido center

Quote:
Jennifer Yabut wrote: View Post
...After spending some time training, I found that one instinctively...knows...who is "senior" - simply by watching how the other executes techniques, takes ukemi, etc...
hey jen, i came from tkd myself! in fact, our dojo was the exact place i 'd studied years earlier!

anyways, i guess our dojo is one of the few that actually does have coloured belts. its just something our chief instructor put into place. there was a short time after he passed away that we did go to all white except for yudansha, and the big argument from many members was how they'd know who was what rank...well, if you were a member, you'd know from practicing with the other members. and if you were a visitor, again, you'd know either by how we lined up, or by practicing. kind of a mute argument.

but you nailed it on the head. the rank isn't in the colour of the belt, so to speak, its in the caliber of that person's aikido. or karate. or krav maga, or jujutsu, or whatever...
Old 03-17-2008, 11:00 PM   #111
wideawakedreamer

Dojo: Bu Yuu Kan dojo
Philippines

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
lol he quit because he couldn't wear his hakama until he got a higher rank? Sounds pretty childish to me.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:13 AM   #112
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands

I like wearing a hakama so that is good enough an excuse to me.

I know there several ways to put it on but the one way that always amazed me the most is the way where the straps are wrapped around the belt in such a way that the colour of the belt is obviously and very visible...and I never saw someone wearing a white belt doing this...go figure

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 03-21-2008, 01:20 PM   #113
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

I don't know, I intertwine my himo so that the belt helps to hold the darn thing up. I make no claims to this being a traditional way to wear the darn thing...it just stops it from dropping down around my ankles! Believe me...nobody wants to see that!

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 03-21-2008, 04:36 PM   #114
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands

Yeah, I know what you mean, I also wrap the himo around my belt.

However on seminars I sometimes see people that have their hakama tide around their belt such that the ends of their belt realy real realy stick out (wearing a big sign with the text "look I have a black belt" in neon letters would probably be the next step in subtilety).

Anyway back on topic: One reason I like wearing the hakama and all other kinds of japanese things is because in using them I have a kind of ritual that allows me to leave the worries and thoughts of everyday life in the dressing room and help my focus on nothing but the training during training. Maybe I am weird in that , then so be it but I dont want my dojo to be normal everyday life...certain things I wanna leave behind before entering and focus on the "dojo-y" things (hmm I think I just invented a new word..dojo-y...anyone with a better alternative please let me know)

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 03-22-2008, 01:51 PM   #115
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

I'm right there with you on that one, Erik.

Today I headed to morning keiko, got a call from my finance about an idiot at pep boys who was giving her a hard time, diverted to clean up that mess, then headed back to keiko. After keikio I had a WAN upgrade in another state (working on the back up over frame relay now), so I had a lot on my mind and was late to boot.

The ritual of getting changed enabled me to settle and get back on track.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 03-26-2008, 12:19 PM   #116
dragonteeth
Dojo: Elkton Ki-Aikido
United_States

In my old dojo, I had to wear a hakama. In my new one, I wear one for iaido, then take it off for the aikido practice immediately afterwards. Do I feel naked without it? Yes. Can I tell a difference in my movement, especially my footwork? Yes. But is it worth going without the hakama to train with this particular teacher at this particular time? Definitely yes!

Besides, if by some chance I ever have to do this "in real life" I probably won't be wearing my hakama, so maybe it's good for me to train a while without it.

Sad thing is now I have to go buy another one even though I'm wearing it less. My aiki-koshita gets in the way of some iaido movements (sayabiki), so it's time to get a regular one. 3rd kyu will come soon enough, but it's into the mothballs with this one for now.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:39 PM   #117
mriehle

Dojo: New School Aikido
United_States
Re: Hakama helps

Quote:
Nafis Zahir wrote: View Post
I'm still waiting for them to come out with the Hakama that has velcro straps that you don't have to tie! I hope the sound of the velcro doesn't bother too many people! LOL!!!
http://www.newschoolaikido.com/hakama.php

Old 03-26-2008, 06:40 PM   #118
mriehle

Dojo: New School Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Chris Lacey wrote: View Post
It's not hyperinflated....I am inhaling.....really...
Well, mine is Ki Storage.