Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
Gary Petrison
Dojo: Aikido of Hilo
United_States
Re: It Had to Be Felt #34: Suganuma Morito: The Calligrapher

And don't forget about his yoga practice! Suganuma Sensei taught a seminar at our dojo here in Hilo, Hawaii in 2011, and is returning again this September. Here are some photos from his previous visit: http://on.fb.me/THPrR7
Old 02-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
akiy

Hi Gary,

I have moved your above post out of the "It Had to Be Felt #34: Suganuma Morito: The Calligrapher" column to this new thread. Here are the "rules for contributors" for the "It Had to Be Felt" columns:
Quote:
For those inclined to post, please re-read the introductory column before doing so. The rules for contributors, in short:
  • Only people who have actually taken ukemi the teacher who is the subject of this thread, may post
  • Simply post your direct experience of taking ukemi. This can include the nature of your relationship with them, as ukemi is more than merely taking falls.
  • Do not engage in back-and-forth with other posters, disputing their experience, or trying to prove why yours is more real. Just post your own experience. Trust your readers to take in each writer's account on its own merits.
  • If, for any reason, you find something to praise or condemn in anyone's description or wish to amplify your insights and perceptions, do so elsewhere. Start a thread about that subject in the appropriate section of Aikiweb.
  • Follow-up posts should be substantive, striving to equal the depth of the original essay. Simply agreeing with the writer, or a brief comment that, yes, the teacher in question was really powerful or had a wonderful shihonage or the like, are not congruent with the purpose of this archive.
-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 02-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
Gary Petrison
Dojo: Aikido of Hilo
United_States

Oh brother... . Clearly from the photos we've taken ukemi for sensei. Jun, your little rules are pretty silly sometimes; whatever, it's your toy, play with it how you like.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
ramenboy
Dojo: midwest aikido center

Wow. Nice attitude, gary. A little respect for the moderator would be nice

practice hard
Old 02-06-2013, 10:04 PM   #5
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Gary Petrison wrote: View Post
Oh brother... . Clearly from the photos we've taken ukemi for sensei. Jun, your little rules are pretty silly sometimes; whatever, it's your toy, play with it how you like.
Actually, it was when Ellis Amdur created this ongoing feature that HE set out the guidelines. Within the specific thread started by a poster ONLY those additional comments directly describing the experience of ukemi are left in the thread. This is pretty much always how it plays out: somebody is moved to make a comment that is not such a description and that forms the basis of the corollary thread all are free to add to.
And the problem with this is?

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 02-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #6
akiy

Hi Gary,

Ellis is out of town currently (as am I, but I bought a little Chromebook to keep me online) from what I understand, so I'm answering in his stead here.

I moved your post outside of your thread specifically because of the following two stipulations that Ellis has named for posters responding within the "It Had to Be Felt" column threads:
  • Simply post your direct experience of taking ukemi. This can include the nature of your relationship with them, as ukemi is more than merely taking falls.
  • Follow-up posts should be substantive, striving to equal the depth of the original essay. Simply agreeing with the writer, or a brief comment that, yes, the teacher in question was really powerful or had a wonderful shihonage or the like, are not congruent with the purpose of this archive.

Please feel free to read each of the original articles within each thread or any of their follow-up posts to see the kind of posts which comply to these (and the other) rules.

Best,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 02-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #7
Ellis Amdur

I am out of town. Currently sitting on a deck in the middle of a surprisingly unbuggy jungle on the Oso Penninsula, spider monkeys and scarlet macaw overhead, with the ocean scant yards away.

And I am drawn away from this lovely place for . . .

Every dojo I've ever been in has rules, sometimes quite small, and some clearly impractical. Why can't I, a guest, simply walk up to the bokken rack and start swinging one? Dangerous? C'mon. I'm actually an expert swordsman, so the rules don't apply to me. Oh, you bow upon entering the mat? Well, I don't, but don't take offense, because if you knew me, you'd realize that it's not arrogance or anything like that - we don't think that's necessary in our dojo (but I bow inside - and really really deeply, too).

Why have the rules? So that the dojo functions as the dojo owner wishes it to be. I've gone into many dojo and not liked the rules - I just don't go back. I don't presume to have the right to insult the dojo owner and tell him what's wrong with his rules, or more blatantly, insult him.

Further more, I've got this odd idea that what we learn in the dojo is supposed to apply - as close as possible - to life outside. What did Tohei say? "Aikido in Daily Life?" So if something is right in the dojo environment (in general, by the way, not any specific rule), why not outside?

I'm not going to reiterate the rationale of the column series, now 34 in number. See column #1 for that. But this discussion here is the evidence why I set up the rules. Not that this thread is horrible or even all that offensive - its simply that the column is SET UP as an archive, not a discussion forum. And rather trivial byplay, argumentation, personal insult and sidetracks in stupid puns and other jokes, ill-befit something meant as a historical record.

There is a technological lag, that Jun will be working out, where no one will be able to post without his or my approval - moderated, in other words. Until then, we have relied on the integrity (and ability to read English) of those who choose to post in response. Given that the rules are clearly enunciated, everyone who has chosen to post outside them has, to date, either skimmed over the rules, not reading them, (these are usually, the "wow, that's really cool," posts), or those who have decided that the rules don't apply to them because what they choose to write or argue about is beyond such rules.

I came very close to pulling the series at its inception, having several other routes to publish where a pure archive would be unquestioned. I'm very glad to have maintained the project here, because it is as if presenting in a dojo. And as I say, every dojo - hell, every combatives gym - has rules. When I visit my son at the boxing gym he's training, I always am introduced to the owner, ask permission to watch and also ask to be told where I can stand or sit. What's that phrase? . . ."Budo begins in reigi and ends in reigi" Reigi means "the obligation to bow," or put another way, "little rules." Pretty silly, I know.

Ellis Amdur

Old 02-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #8
Robert Cowham
Dojo: East Sheen Aikido and Kashima No Tachi

Quote:
Jamie Yugawa wrote: View Post
The second was (I think this is what its called) suwari waza ryotetori yonkyo. I was having trouble with technique with my partner and Suganuma Shihan come by to show us. He grabbed me by both my wrists and applied yonkyo. The shock ran up my arms and locked my elbows, I made my best "Popeye" face in agony and fell over backwards. I am one of the people who yonkyo is difficult to apply and Suganuma shihan nailed me as soon as he grabbed me.
Thanks for reminding me - this is one of his signature techniques, and I have no idea how he does it... Here is a one handed version:

http://www.shoheijukugibsons.com/gal...on%20Russ2.htm

As you say, uke has elbows locked, shoulders lifted immediately, and yet Suganuma sensei's wrists are not rigid or seemingly being subjected to huge forces - and yet resistance is futile!

Time for another round of research on this one...
Old 03-29-2013, 08:33 PM   #9
rulemaker
Dojo: Aikido Philippines
Philippines

I love his instructional DVDs!

http://www.budovideos.com/shop/custo...42&cat=&page=1

Last edited by rulemaker : 03-29-2013 at 08:36 PM.