Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-25-2018, 07:16 AM   #1
StefanHultberg
Dojo: Roskilde
Denmark
Life and death

At 8' o clock this morning a friend of my family died peacefully after a long bout with cancer.

Life is death and death is life, this is the message of nature. Nature -- day & night, winter & summer, black & white show the polarities which are the extremes of the cyclicity, the spiral nature -of reality. When winter (Yin) is at its deepest, at its most still, at final death baby Yang is born. The earth starts tilting the other way and everything goes from deeper in death to beginning life and growth.
At birth (or conception perhaps) we empty the cup of deadly poison. Birth is the assumption of a physical (mortal) form. At death we ? -- assume an immortal form? Assume a new mortal form? Just disappear??
Just disappearing would assume a beginning and an end (or at least an end). Assuming a new mortal form would be consistent with spiral cyclicity (and general Yin/Yang theory). Assuming an eternal spiritual form at some stage, finally reaching heaven or the Tao (or the void), or becoming forever one with everything would be -- who knows? Yin and Yang are the top representatives of the dualistic universe that was brought forth from unity, leaving the dualistic universe for an existence beyond Yin and Yang would be what is described by Chinese Philosophy as becoming one with the Tao.
The natural law of reciprocity indicates that, since birth (or perhaps conception) is death then the moment (whatever that is) of death is life. When winter changes to spring -- the water element progresses to the wood element -- death becomes life in the eternal spiral cycles of the seasons. Life is death and death is life.
Origenes, the famous "church father" wrote extensively on the subject of cycles in nature in relation to human death and life. So did, of course, several of the Chinese "philosophers":

Master Lai said, "Parents' relation to their children is such that, whether north, south, east, or west, the child only follows their command. The relation of yin and yang [natural forces and processes] to people is even more important than that of our parents to us. They having brought me near death, were I to disobey, I would be impudent. What wrong have they done in this?! The Huge Clump burdens me with form, labours me with life, eases me with old age, and rests me with death. So what makes my life good is the very thing that makes my death good. "Now if a master smith were casting metal and the metal jumped up and said, ‘I must be made into a famous blade,' the smith would surely take it to be cursed metal. Now having once taken on human form, were I to say ‘Only a human, only a human,' the creator-and transformer would surely take me to be a cursed human. Now in this instance I take heaven and earth to be a great furnace and the process of creation and transformation to be a master smith. Where could I go that wouldn't be acceptable?!"

(Chuang Tzu)

"Perhaps, however, the 'gloom and darkness' should be taken to mean this coarse and earthly body, through which at the end of the world each man that must pass into another world will receive the beginnings of a fresh birth." '

(Origenes)

The study of Aikido is a path of Yin and Yang, the study of life and death. What a wonderful path 😊
Merrii Kurisumasu 😊
Old 12-25-2018, 09:05 PM   #2
akiy

Re: Life and death

Hi Stefan,

I'm sorry to hear of your (and your family's) loss.

Best,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 12-27-2018, 04:23 AM   #3
StefanHultberg
Dojo: Roskilde
Denmark

Dear Jun

Thank you so much!!

At every turn in life I am so thankful for aikido, misogi no jo, misogi no ken, misogi no tomodachi....

All the best

Stefan
Old 12-27-2018, 09:12 PM   #4
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Stefan Hultberg wrote: View Post
At 8' o clock this morning a friend of my family died peacefully after a long bout with cancer.

The study of Aikido is a path of Yin and Yang, the study of life and death. What a wonderful path ��
Merrii Kurisumasu ��
Hello Stefan,

Well, it depends. Your friend died peacefully, and I assume you mean s/he lay still and showed no outward signs of any inner agitation. My mother died many years ago, but after a long bout with Alzheimer's Disease -- and the inner agitation was right there, but there was nothing we could do.

So, dying its the end of a process of shutting down and -- for all your quotes -- we do not know what happens afterwards, if there is an 'afterwards'.

I should add that this is something that I am facing now. I have cancer, heart disease, and -- now I understand after the latest diagnosis -- age-related epilepsy, plus all the side effects from the medication I am taking. Quite a handful. So, I suspect that, all other things being equal, I am closer than you are.

But the excellent doctors want to keep me alive for as long as possible and I am glad of this, for I still have aikido and I enjoy watching my students try to understand my 'mysterious' waza. Last class I slowly showed four types of kaiten-nage and my young yudansha could not understand any of them.

All good wishes for 2019.

PAG

Last edited by Peter Goldsbury : 12-27-2018 at 09:14 PM.

P A Goldsbury
Old 01-18-2019, 04:17 PM   #5
nikyu62
Dojo: Aikido Club of American Samoa
American Samoa

My best wishes for your continued journey in life, Prof. Goldsbury.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!