Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-31-2009, 10:22 AM   #1
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
A model in piecemeal...help me correct or fill in the blanks please

I've been trying to understand what different folks have been suggesting and have come to the conclusion I might learn a better set of aiki-speak if I more or less start from scratch. So in trying to consider how aiki works I've come up with the follwing general ideas as a place to begin. I understand this is complex and it might be ridiculous to even attempt any kind of comprehensive description, but what the hay! I also realize there are a handful of threads that already cover all of this, but this is simply a new effort at an old conversation.
I would like to ask that folks not attempt to correct each other's possible misperceptions. This thread isn't about correcting each other's models, it's about correcting mine, and hopefully people can learn from that process. My hope is it will make for a more cohesive read.
Also, I'm trying to include behavioral descriptions (guidlines for practice) as well as bio-mechanical ones.
1. Movements are based primarily on whole-body movements, so training should involve efforts to use as much of the body as a cohesive mechanism as possible.
2. The center/hara/dantien plays a central role in generating all power, so people should try to learn how that can be accomplished.
3. The practice lies in creating cohesive 3D arcs/paths of tissue: idealy the load is evenly distributed along these arcs to allow for maximum load-bearing capability; uneven tension within the path, such as formed by shifting primary power to some muscle (like the deltoid), creates increased focus points for the force intensity, effectively causing that local area to take the brunt of the load; this causes a relatively great exersion on that area, either exhausting it more greatly or even damaging it. It also creates a focus point for the incoming force to affect the center, making it potentialy less stable (when it's evenly distributed, the structure as a whole can easily resist the force, wheras when it's unevenly distributed the less powerful local structure is forced to).
4. There are multiple systems at play; all are interdependant to some extent. The complexity of the body gives rise to the need for discerning subtle interactions within that body. Discerning subtle force shifts takes acute sensitivity (as opposed to the generalized sensation used in "casual" movement), adding to the need for a relatively low resting tension rate within the muscular and myofascial orientation.
The tough part of learning aiki is looking past the established use of local parts ("bad habits") to generate the brunt of the power needed, but once a relatively whole-body path has become familiarized, one can begin to apply that sensation in new articulated forms.
Since I'm out of time for the moment, I'll toss out what I've got so far and see what I catch.
Take care!
Matt

Gambarimashyo!
Old 07-31-2009, 12:20 PM   #2
dps

Re: A model in piecemeal...help me correct or fill in the blanks please

I hope these sites can help

http://www.intensiondesigns.com/geom...f_anatomy.html
"Tensegrities are all about tension and compression. Every structure, whether an artifact created by intelligence or a living form evolved by natural selection, is a balance between these two and only these two forces."

http://www.biotensegrity.com/index.p...tpage&Itemid=1

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:01 AM   #3
dps

Re: A model in piecemeal...help me correct or fill in the blanks please

These two video clips describe the structure of the body.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ajowL0T4bM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNPgq...eature=channel

David

Last edited by dps : 08-01-2009 at 09:04 AM.

Go ahead, tread on me.